• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The great sell off of 2020

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The problem is that a lot of those who are not boaters and just want a boat will buy from a Dealer new, rather than go through the process of buying used. It happens all the time. They will continue to keep demand up for some time.

It is easier to walk into a boat dealer, fill out finance paperwork get approved and order or take delivery of your boat, than to determine fair price, have an inspection done, get clear title from someone else, pay off the sellers note, etc. etc.
100% agree. It is definitely a process to buy used from a private seller, especially if they have a loan..

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I sold my 17 Ar190 and purchased a used 20 212S at the same time in August. Both had loans, It was a pain in the ass but it all worked out.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Suprisingly, the local dealer has gotten a 2021 AR210 and a 2021 AR195 and both have been sitting for a couple weeks now. No takers so far. Let the market flood, then we can swoop in and grab em cheap..

Cyclonegrey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Suprisingly, the local dealer has gotten a 2021 AR210 and a 2021 AR195 and both have been sitting for a couple weeks now. No takers so far. Let the market flood, then we can swoop in and grab em cheap..
what dealer?

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The dealer by me Park Marina Kennesaw GA has a 2021 AR195 for a few weeks now.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm seeing more 70-150k vdrive boats come up for sale. Also, I thought this thread was about the stock market - indeed, I took a beating this week so far. OUCH.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Justin2431 here's an idea for you --- it's what I did with my 2017.

If you know you want a Yamaha, ask your dealer what they have on order and when they expect it in. I was shopping for my boat in January but didn't want to pick it up until June. The dealer I purchased from had a 242 being delivered in May so I asked to negotiate on that boat. I got the dealing done in May, gave them a deposit check, then waited. The benefit to them is they KNOW there's a buyer for that boat and they can focus on what's for sale on their floor (as they're paying carrying costs for boats on their lot) AND for me, I had time to sell my old boat and not pay storage fees for 4-5 months.

Just another idea if your dealer has a boat on order for the Spring, see if you can put your name on it and not have to worry about paying storage fees ... when you can use that money for buying mods.

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Not seeing it here in East NC yet. Dealers have no boats, new or used. And they are even offering premiums for used boats, almost new boat prices. It’s crazy.
I think the people bought boats and realized, wow, this is amazing, and are keeping them. Not the “just watch, tons of used boats will hit the market”.
Just aren’t seeing yet, here anyway

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This past weekend my wife fell head over heels in love with the 2020 FX SVHO Limited Waverunner in the attached picture. After the owner showed it to us my wife said “let’s get one, even if we have to finance part of it” before we walk back to the shoreline.

The retail price on this is $17,500 without trailer and before taxes and fees. My 17 year old Son and I are against the deal and told her so. We currently have a 2003 Fx140 and a 2006 FX 160 Cruiser that ware paid off and reliable. I even offered to get her a new (to her) car instead. Less than a week later she reiterated that she wants this waverunner, not a lower model or a different brand. Since she has been accepting of my questionable (in her opinion) large purchases in the past, I agreed to start looking for a newer model FX. It has to have cruise control, the brake lever and a super charger. That stated I will probably looking at Craig’s list on a regular basis once the rainy season starts this year, usually in the late October / early November.

This may sound cold, but I’m really hoping there is a seller out there that is willing to take a huge loss on his or her relatively new FX waverunner. I will be selling a near mint condition 2003 FX 140 and / or offering it and cash for a new(er) waverunner.

Edit:The owner of this waverunner in the pic told me that she searched all over California this summer and only found two of these waverunners available. At close to $20k after taxes I think they Would be easier to find. She is also appeared to ne a first time boat (PWCs are classified as small boats) owner. She financed the purchase and complained about the insurance premium being higher because the ski is supercharged/high horsepower. Did COVID 19 influence her purchase decision, I don’t know for sure but it seems that way. As for being a new boater, it seemed that way as well based on the fact that soon after she took her partner and son out to wakeboard (the limited package includes a wakeboard, tube and tow lines) they were towed back by a fishing boat. The Son who got dropped off on shore told me the pump got clogged with weeds / vegetation so they were having it towed back to the marina. Waverunners/PWCs don’t have clean out ports but I don’t know anyone with at least a season of experience On any pwc or lager jet boat that doesn’t know how to clear weeds from the grate or the pump. As a seasoned PWC owner I also know that it’s easier and safer to enjoy them if you have two or more on the water at the same time, at least you don’t have to ask a boater especially a fisherman/woman to tow you back to the ramp or marina. It’s not the person I would have waived down for help.

Attachments

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@bthessel .....went right past that boat today. It's owned by Bill Tomlinson of Tomlinson Trucking Ontario, Canada. I used to live down the river from him on the Rideau River. He still has a house there and also now a huge mansion on the St. lawrence. His wife has a big cruiser she keeps in the Turks & Caicos called "Her Way"......BTW "My Way" was involved in a serious accident a few years ago. I may still have pictures of that.
Hey Canuck, we've seen "My Way" and his buddy from Kingston with "Aquamania" at several of the Poker Runs over the last couple years. My favourite run is the Clayton Charity Poker Run...everyone turns out for that one. Really can't wait for COVID to end so we can get back to enjoying the short boating season and related events!
🚤 🚤

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think there’s a bit of a faulty assumption that the people who got boats this year did so on a whim, especially new boats. I don’t think that’s really the case for most of them. I’ve been wanting a Yamaha for years, yes the shutdowns help give us a push, but we would have done it eventually.

fact is that the market is still very short of boats and supply chains are not fully recovered. Have a friend in the RV manufacturing business and he estimates it will take one and a half years to fully recover. Until then there will be shortages. I don’t see that boat supply chains would be any different. Some two AC RVs are getting delivered with only one and a promise to deliver the other one ‘some day’.

the other factor is that if restrictions continue into next year, demand for cruise and other travel will likely remain lower than normal increasing boat and RV demand. I don’t intend on cruising again with the procedures I’ve been reading about. Ugh.

There are always people who need to sell in fall, I just don’t think it’s necessarily any massive sell off. But I barely have one month of winter so I may have a different perspective.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
My personal belief is that some people tapped into their 401k’s this year as you could pull up to 100k without penalties because of covid (just income tax).

Otherwise a $1200 stimulus check can’t explain the mad run on boats, cars, rv’s, houses, even bikes are still sold out near me, etc.......unless people all of a sudden decided to spend like drunken sailors (no offense to drunken sailors)....

I do know that our spring/summer of very little driving saved us around $500/month in gas alone......not to mention we ate out less when most restaurants were closed :winkingthumbsup"

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This guy has one 2016 212x (probably trade in) and a lot of 2021 in stock. I have to make a trip up to see the 255XD, it says he has 2 in stock.

Cyclonegrey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This guy has one 2016 212x (probably trade in) and a lot of 2021 in stock. I have to make a trip up to see the 255XD, it says he has 2 in stock.

It looks like they are just listing there allocations and noting which is presold and which is open. I highly doubt that they actually have these boats at their marina. I requested 2 quotes from them. Let's see what happens.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think there’s a bit of a faulty assumption that the people who got boats this year did so on a whim, especially new boats. I don’t think that’s really the case for most of them. I’ve been wanting a Yamaha for years, yes the shutdowns help give us a push, but we would have done it eventually.
Couldn't agree with you less on this point. I have ran into a multitude of people whom were not even considering buying a boat now, if not ever. Even talking with salesman and marina's they confirm the same thing. I personally wouldn't have bought one this year and even though it was a far remote thought, I may never have bought one. Maybe a small aluminum fishing boat. Friends, Families and Parents get real funny when they can't do things with their kids and immediate family and social circle. They need to find another avenue. Life is short and you can't get back time, especially with children.

The shutdown may have given you and others a push- I am sure, but don't discount the fact that there are a tremendous amount of people whom bought boats that didn't even consider it nor would have not ever purchased one. And to be quite frank probably should never own one in the first place. Now they either keep them or sell them once they get a full understanding what boat ownership is about, both financially and effort.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Couldn't agree with you less on this point. I have ran into a multitude of people whom were not even considering buying a boat now, if not ever. Even talking with salesman and marina's they confirm the same thing. I personally wouldn't have bought one this year and even though it was a far remote thought, I may never have bought one. Maybe a small aluminum fishing boat. Friends, Families and Parents get real funny when they can't do things with their kids and immediate family and social circle. They need to find another avenue. Life is short and you can't get back time, especially with children.

The shutdown may have given you and others a push- I am sure, but don't discount the fact that there are a tremendous amount of people whom bought boats that didn't even consider it nor would have not ever purchased one. And to be quite frank probably should never own one in the first place.
I tend to agree, but the last statement could be a little too strong.

Not too long ago I was backing the boat down the ramp for the first time, parking the trailer first time and bumped the trailer next to me because I didn’t swing the turn wide enough... some fall into that category, but I’d hope the rest with a season under their belt, enjoy it and stick with it.

Selfishly though... I’m going to be looking for a good deal on a late model 242 limited s or se :)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mark_m My point is, some are very dangerous on the water. Of course there is a learning curve with trailering and docking, etc. etc. We all go through it and I feel that is perfectly acceptable.

Running at planning speed 30 ft. from people in the water or coming in through no Wake at high speed or drinking too much and driving a watercraft, this list is endlessly long etc. etc. Is not a learning thing, it is out right stupid and dangerous. Individuals who do not have any respect for anyone else let alone themselves should not be owning boats. It falls into the same category as the Marijuana billowing out of the car window, or drinking and driving or texting while driving. Just stupid, ignorant selfish people whom really only are interested in their own selfish needs and wants.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@mark_m My point is, some are very dangerous on the water. Of course there is a learning curve with trailering and docking, etc. etc. We all go through it and I feel that is perfectly acceptable.

Running at planning speed 30 ft. from people in the water or coming in through no Wake at high speed or drinking too much and driving a watercraft, this list is endlessly long etc. etc. Is not a learning thing, it is out right stupid and dangerous. Individuals who do not have any respect for anyone else let alone themselves should not be owning boats. It falls into the same category as the Marijuana billowing out of the car window, or drinking and driving or texting while driving. Just stupid, ignorant selfish people whom really only are interested in their own selfish needs and wants.
The stupidity and selfishness of boaters is not recent.....its the main reason i got out of boating 20 years ago. I got tired of the stress of pulling the kids tubing/skiing and 30 feet behind them was another boat pulling tubers/skiers, and 30ft behind them another boater pulling tubers/skiers......and hoping they are all paying attention if the kids fall off.......

Frankly i wouldn’t be buying a boat just to use on lakes in the Detroit metro area again, but i found 3 lakes up north that are big (2500 acres-10,000 acres), low traffic and clean. I actually want to just keep the boat up north but the wife wants to also try boating local again.....so we will see.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Enduro900 It is not recent, I agree with you, but with hoardes of people rushing to buy something because they feel that they are going to be left out whom don't want to invest the time, education and safety concerns compounds the issue. Everything takes some sort of self investment, not just financial. Although you see where people whom can financially afford to do something believe that, that makes it alright to do whatever they want and do not think about all the ramifications. We live in a nasty age of entitlement.

Look online, Buy boat, pick it up, pull kids the same day or next day, at speeds that are unsafe without regard to anyone else on the water. It happens I have seen it.

Perhaps if some were to put in the extra effort to read and educate there would be less of an issue.