• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Long Road Home

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone on here watching the series on National Geographic "The Long Road Home"?? I find myself going through different stages of feelings, from sorrow, to grief, to pissed off! It's quite a show and I would love to know how close the series is to actual events. I think it's an 8 part series. I believe 4 or 5 have been aired.

Scott griffith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I have been watching it and love but am like u go for sad to pissed but over all a good show

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone on here watching the series on National Geographic "The Long Road Home"?? I find myself going through different stages of feelings, from sorrow, to grief, to pissed off! It's quite a show and I would love to know how close the series is to actual events. I think it's an 8 part series. I believe 4 or 5 have been aired.
During the early part of Dessert Storm, (2003-2004) when this took place, we didnt know the extent of the determination or capabilities of the insurgents. SADR City was a shithole and a stronghold on the outskirts of Baghdad. The lack of radios and the lack of armor on our vehicles was symbolic of our unpreparedness. I dont have any personnel knowledge of this specific event in 2004. At that time I was in Bosnia, however, I was in Iraq 2006-2007 during the surge. By this time everybody had radios, and the vehicles that went out in the field, (not in a FOB) were all heavily up-armored, so things were different, and our troops better protected and prepared. I was aviation, and cant even begin to try to say I experienced what the brave soldiers on the ground experienced. But I can tell you my experience from the air, and my conversations with soldiers that were on the ground tell me that what you are seeing in this series is pretty damn realistic and true to life. The portrayal of the soldiers departures and the fears of the families left behind is VERY real. During my time, I was very lucky! I came home, and I came home physically unscathed. But I did lose friends while there, whose families still have the pain of their loss. Whether or not you supported our being there, those that served, ESPECIALLY the ones portrayed in this series, were heroes and their experiences were life changing!