• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Sea Ray that almost was

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sea ray Jet 21..
  • Twin Weber MPE-850TC four-stroke engines, turbocharged & intercooled with weber jet drives
  • Clean-out ports and grate system
  • Optimal thrust facilitates neutral and puts the boater in control of the boat
  • Dedicated transom walk-thru
  • Integrated multi-tiered swim platform
  • Matching tandem-axle trailer with surge brakes and swing-away tongue
  • Sony stereo (AM/FM CD with MP3 port)

http://www.boattest.com/Partners/Partner-Main.aspx?lp_id=32&t=BOAT-TEST&Videoid=2792&p=0&s=

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder how many of these they made before pulling the plug? Would be interesting to know how far into making them Sea Ray got... I'm guessing just a couple units?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did they stop making them because they weren't sure about the Weber engines? Was there a reason they didn't switch out to the Rotax?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder how many of these they made before pulling the plug? Would be interesting to know how far into making them Sea Ray got... I'm guessing just a couple units?
I believe they made 60 units, and tested them in different areas. Then they had the ones that were in the boat shows. The Marine max rep here said they were all destroyed after they gave up on the concept.

Did they stop making them because they weren't sure about the Weber engines? Was there a reason they didn't switch out to the Rotax?
From what I hear, they didn't like the Webber's reliability, and thought the risk was too high, and would be a detriment to the brand. They would not buy BRP engines because they are a direct competitor to Mercury which is owned by the parent company. MarineMax wanted to get into the jetboat world had no choice but go with a competitors (BRP, and RBH) and bring in Scarab.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was really looking forward to that one when we first heard about it. Sad when they canned it. For now anyway. The jetboat market is growing. I feel Yamaha was complacent when they were the only game in town. It seems obvious to me that competition from Scarab and Glastron has forced Yamaha to step up their game.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was really looking forward to that one when we first heard about it. Sad when they canned it. For now anyway. The jetboat market is growing. I feel Yamaha was complacent when they were the only game in town. It seems obvious to me that competition from Scarab and Glastron has forced Yamaha to step up their game.
I agree! Competition on helps the consumer.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not too impressed with the fit and finish on that. As a former Sea Ray 225 Weekender owner and frequent 330 and 380 Sundancer passenger. . . . . The fit and finish on the boat seems below SeaRay's Standards IMHO.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
a pair of 155-hp intercooled, turbocharged, four-stroke Weber MPE-850 engines...

LOL....155 even with intercooled and turbocharged.....No thanks.

Kevin Turner

Jet Boat Addict
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Wastegate issues and EPA cert killed the Weber. SeaRay was considering inking a deal with ROTAX until BRP tossed in a one for one clause: For every ROTAX, BRP insisted they buy a 'Rude. That was the end of that.