• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

There she BLOWS!!! I got those first time out on the water Blues!!

BoaterBee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello - Hello & Aye Mates for all you Pirates out there,

We are new to the forum, new to boating, and therefore new to our boat!! Just got back from Powell which even if I do say so myself, is kind of a PIRATE move for your first boating trip!! So, our boat is incredible out on the lake, fished, towed, even managed to get the guys up on wakeboards and that was a first for everyone!!
Now for the BIG BUTT...yes I intentionally used 2 tt's. In and out of the dock area was, lets just say challenging to keep it PG. Due to the stirring issues at slow speeds we were hesitant to go exploring up any canyons, but there was a lot of lake to enjoy!

Our other issue that I want to bring up is when we pulled the boat out and took out the transom plug there was quit a bit of water that would drain everyday. Yes, we ran the bilge pump while we were out, so is that normal?

Any suggestions on getting the boat back on the trailer if there are only 2 people would be handy too! Fortunately, we had lots of adults on the trip but it won't always be that way for us...

Other than those things we had an awesome first experience with our boat!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it's common to have a few minutes of water come out of the transom plug after a day of boating, did you notice your bilge pumping at all during the day? you need to keep an eye on that,

with your model boat you need to check the scupper valve (check the faq tab at the top of the page)

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am still training my crew after 3 seasons! Anyway at the ramp with the back of the boat wondering around and not sitting on the trailer, try pulling the trailer out a bit more from the water. You will have to winch it up a bit but that is okay. Also I ask my wife to stand in center of the rear of the boat to help it center.

Water coming out is okay, we often don't get any. I suspect that is water coming over your swim deck wakeboarding.

You will get used to the slow speed handling; steer and counter steer. Practice makes perfect.

Welcome aboard!!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Get some fins if you don't already have some, if you do get some bigger ones. Cobrajet offers some as does jetboat pilot.

Plug the anchor locker drain from the inside to see if that stops or reduces the water in the bulge.

If you have an older boat check that the plastic scupper (the through hull end of the cockpit drain) isn't cracked/leaking.

Read up here and watch some YouTube videos on launching and recovering there some great ones out there.

Don't forget to have fun.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I can't recommend this enough but use No Wake Mode when it's time to put the boat back on the trailer or even putting around docks. It will give you enough thrust to give you maneuverability but not enough to get you in trouble. You can even use forward and reverse while No Wake Mode is engaged so long as you don't go beyond the first detent. I boat on a river with current and IMO you don't need fins to get the hang of jet boating. Practice out in the open and use a buoy or something as a target. Practice makes perfect. If you find that after practicing you still can't get the hang of piloting a jet boat around the dock or trailer then I would suggest getting fins.

Last edited:

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have to agree with @haknslash. Try putting the boat in no wake mode. This allows you to only control the direction of thrust. You won't increase your speed and you will find the boat much easier to control. Like he also said don't pass that first detent in either direction. I have found I like to have mine at 2200 RPMs in no wake mode. I use it every time I dock now. Made a world of difference for me when approaching docks and anywhere it's tight to maneuver. I'm not here to talk you out of find either only that give this a try first and let me spend your money on another mod! Lol!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Avaask, yee scirvy sea dog. . . . . . Welcome aboard matee.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When getting the boat on the trailer or docking, I would just add the word, " patient". I always have to get the hang of the boat when starting a new season. I have found that it takes a few seconds of rudder/steering wheel input for the boat to respond at low speeds. I put veve guides on the trailer. They are two PVC poles on the end of your trailer. They help a lot. They help getting the boat on the trailer and also for backing an empty trailer down the boat ramp. They also basically nudge your boat onto the trailer. I have Ramp N Clamp which works well for me. It basically locks your bow into the winch area when you load from the lake. And good luck once you get the MOD fever.:). There are lots of great modification ideas here. A few I did, added a bilge pump, fume detector, and keel guard would be some good ones. Welcome to the forum and have a fun summer boating!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length