• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

They say "you can never go back", now I really can't

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the house I grew up in, 1979-1987 in Houston on the San Jacinto river was torn down,
The county/FEMA bought it since it had flooded the living area (as they have most all of the houses by the river).

It's amazing, it only takes about 8 hours and a big back hoe to make it go away,

just remember the gov't always wins, the property taxes had the house appraised for 150k but when the county bought it they had "special" adjusters look at it to be sure we got pre-flood value and guess what, they only valued it at 130k,

0_20190717_110004.jpgIMG_7811.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
and as a side note to anybody who thinks the gov't and FEMA is going to help you, help yourself,

our local churches and neighbors did more to help than the gov't about the only good our gov't did was send dump trucks and back hoes around the neighborhood for 2-3 weeks collecting PILES (and I can't write that big enough, think of everything in your house except the studs and subfloor being put out on the curb),

FEMA only gives half the money to the state, the county decides whose houses they want to buy to help mitigate future damage and then asks the state for the money,

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Scottintexas Is that you ankle deep in the water way back then? Hard to argue with Uncle Sam, especially when the adjuster cashes their government check. Too bad you guys could'nt have your own adjuster and maybe split the difference.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ha, the flood was only 2-3 years ago ( I can't even remember now),

we protested the original value and they upped it, then we figured the emotional/time investment to get any higher wasn't worth the fight.