• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Think twice before driving after you've been drinking

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What a Memorial Day Weekend....:depressed: We didn't hit the lake (Just too many people driving out there with too many boats). We were warned by local friends as well that the lake gets crazy. With that in mind we stayed home and had a BBQ with neighbors to totally avoid the partiers out on the road.
Sadly, I came to find out on Saturday that a good friend from back in NJ got killed. Apparently a 17 year old driving drunk was about to miss an exit on the Garden State Parkway toll road to the NJ Shore (Seaside heights NJ) And stopped in the middle lane of the highway to then attempt a hard right turn for the exit. My friend on his Harley never had a chance coming up on this hot mess turning in front of him... Maybe his death will wake up one person to think twice before drinking and driving. Maybe someone will consider an Uber instead, or have a D.D. Memorial Day Weekend will never be the same. Rest in Peace my friend.

http://abc7ny.com/news/nj-firefighter-killed-in-motorcycle-collision-with-allegedly-drunk-teen/1362542/

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's terrible. Sorry for your loss @njmr2fan Will be sending prayers you way.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So sorry for your loss and thank you for telling us this news as it might help someone take the right step in the future. These kind of things are becoming all to frequent.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very sad news and I totally understand your sadness and anger. My son's friend was killed after being in Afganistan, while in Cyprus on R&R and awaiting his transport home, he went waterskiing and after falling and waiting for the boat to return a drunk in a boat ran over him.
Accidents while people are under the influence are all too common, and with marijuana being legalised that's another problem we will have to face. It's not the alcohol or drugs fault just the idiot that thinks they can still operate machines while high.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@njmr2fan So sorry for your loss, that is just horrible, thoughts and prayers sent your way and to your friends family.

I can easily see this happen even if the driver that stopped on the interstate was sober, people today are so damn inconsiderate most only think of themselves. He should have gone to the next exit, got back on the interstate, and then got off on his right exit.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As @Andy S said people everywhere live in their own little bubble, see the other thread on boat ramp etiquite. I see very few people these days having any regard for the people around them. That is still a sad story and sorry for your loss, and yes drunk driving should not exist any more with all of the ride sharing options. I have a custom chopper I built myself that sits in the garage. I bet I have riding that bike 20 miles in the last 5 years. I'm terrified of all the distracted drivers out on the roads these days. I recently posted that my 16 year old got her license last Thursday. That morning I watched a man in an SUV turn out into the woman in the left lane 75 yards in front of me while I was in the right lane. We were doing 50 mph. I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting both of them. I then put my hazards on, parked in the right lane, dialed 911, and had to pull the lady out of the passenger side door because her door was crushed. She seemed to be a okay. She was in a Lexus with side and front air bags. So fast forward about 4 hours and my daughter has this wonderful smile on her face because now she gets to drive to school by herself, and as I watch her pull away............I feel sick to my stomach.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Major prayers and mojo to all involved. Terribly sad news. We sold our Harley in 2009 due to lack of use. Too many distracted drivers. No one apparently knows that you are supposed to square off your turns anymore. I've had so many people sweep through my lane while I was sitting at a stop sign or red light on a bike.

So sorry for your loss :(

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@njmr2fan I just read about this yesterday. He was a firefighter correct? Sorry to hear that you lost a friend.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry for your loss. I 100% agree on not drinking and driving!!!

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you all for the kind words. I do appreciate it. Sucks being the outlier in GA when everyones back in NJ. This is like my friendly neighborhood dig to stop in and vent.

When my boys were born in 09-10 my motorcycle riding slowed down a lot. We'd still go once in a while early on a weekend when most were still sleeping in, but the frequency got less and less. It got to the point that I'd walk into the garage to get kids toys and talk to it like an old friend. Lol. I finally Sold it and added the cash to the boat fund for a boat I hadn't found yet. Fast forward to last memorial day and we bought our boat. The kids have asked a few times about my bike but I tell them that I've had more fun on "our" boat than I Ever had on "my" motorcycle. For those that still ride, be safe. Thank you again guys

Last edited:

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@njmr2fan a sobering reminder as I just bought a new MC after not riding for 22 years. Again, very sorry about your friend.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be safe @Topper232, I see guys riding all the time and I think I might miss it for a second, but I love my new boating hobby.

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
What a Memorial Day Weekend....:depressed: We didn't hit the lake (Just too many people driving out there with too many boats). We were warned by local friends as well that the lake gets crazy. With that in mind we stayed home and had a BBQ with neighbors to totally avoid the partiers out on the road.
Sadly, I came to find out on Saturday that a good friend from back in NJ got killed. Apparently a 17 year old driving drunk was about to miss an exit on the Garden State Parkway toll road to the NJ Shore (Seaside heights NJ) And stopped in the middle lane of the highway to then attempt a hard right turn for the exit. My friend on his Harley never had a chance coming up on this hot mess turning in front of him... Maybe his death will wake up one person to think twice before drinking and driving. Maybe someone will consider an Uber instead, or have a D.D. Memorial Day Weekend will never be the same. Rest in Peace my friend.

http://abc7ny.com/news/nj-firefighter-killed-in-motorcycle-collision-with-allegedly-drunk-teen/1362542/
Terrible, sad, totally preventable tragedy. So sorry for your loss, our thoughts and prayers go to you and family.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So sorry to hear about your friend. I ride my Harley everyday to work and we take trips. Drunk or not people are so self centered nowadays and simply stop in the interstate because they need to exit or they just force there way in and get angry when someone doesn't let them in. Riding a bike is very defense and so I drive the same way in my truck. I don't understand this entitlement attitude young people have nowadays! I do see this a little bit in my kids as well. I have also noticed (just driving home yesterday) that of the three stupid moves everyone one of them where on their cell phone. We watched one girl drive through a red a light (didn't even know it was there) the truck coming out had to dodge them and then of course was pissed as well. They need to ban cell phone usage and texting. I think it is more dangerous then drinking because it happens all the time and by almost every young person nowadays. Just my thoughts. I tell my kids don't use their phones period when driving. If they listen or not I don't know.

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend man.
unfortunately the jersey shore does get out of hand more often than not. I always stay away during holidays.

Top Bottom