• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thinking of a 223VRX

JHC212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Currently have a 212x. We've been trying to surf a lot with it but the wife hates all the ballast bags on the seats and on the floor. She suggested I look into upgrading to a boat that doesn't need ballast bags on seats.

How good is the wave with the ASP equipped 223VRX with only stock ballast and only 2 passengers on the boat? Any videos?

I'd rather not get a dedicated wake boat as I like the shallow drafts of the jet and the ease of winterization.

Thanks!

PMChapVortex

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
223 with ASP and ballasts throws a great wake. Do it!

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I just picked up a 223 VRX over the weekend and am impressed. The ballast bags do take up the storage under the seats and there's also a bag that I just discovered under the bow that takes up a portion of the floor locker. I couldn't put my son's wakeboard in the locker, so I'll have to get some racks for the tower. Otherwise, nice boat with a big wake with the bags filled. The lack of a clean out port to access the impeller brought me to a standstill for a few hours over the weekend, but after completely removing the pump assembly, I was able to access the tube rope that we ingested.

PMChapVortex

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Ropes are going to cause problems with any boat you have. I bet its a mistake that only happens once!

JHC212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
great. How clean is the wave, how tall, how long etc? Just wondering if it's a good wave to surf ropeless on for people starting out.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just picked up a 223 VRX over the weekend and am impressed. The ballast bags do take up the storage under the seats and there's also a bag that I just discovered under the bow that takes up a portion of the floor locker. I couldn't put my son's wakeboard in the locker, so I'll have to get some racks for the tower. Otherwise, nice boat with a big wake with the bags filled. The lack of a clean out port to access the impeller brought me to a standstill for a few hours over the weekend, but after completely removing the pump assembly, I was able to access the tube rope that we ingested.
Beautiful boat!
I agree with @PMChapVortex about the rope - cleanout ports would be of no help in that case. In fact, after reading your weekend post I would venture to suggest that the sleeve protector (on you impeller shaft) prevented potentially catastrophic damage to the fiberglass tunnel.

Do you guys have any pics of the wave behind?

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I'll get some pics this weekend.

JHC212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Found this video. It's a 243 but the wave looks pretty good.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That boat has the optional Ariel surf platform, which, from reports I get from owners and the main dealer, is well worth it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@JHC212X , have you considered the 242x? My understanding is that it has a pre-integrated ballast system as well but also clean out ports. I think most jet boaters will run over a tow rope sooner or later but at least with clean out plugs you usually won't have to pull the boat out of the water and remove the pump to clear the rope. I only recall one or two instances where an ingested rope caused any major damage. You are a very lucky man to have a wife that would suggest you get a new boat to resolve an issue like this.

Last edited:

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Isn't there a thread going over how "not good" the surf wake is on the 242x? I'm sure you can throw ballast on all the seats and the platform, then add a wake wedge, but for someone that wants to wake surf out of the box, the chap seems to be the much much better option.

JHC212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
242x is out of the question. I'm in Canada and the dealer is asking $112k for the 242x, for the 243 Vortex VRX with ASP they are asking $95k and for the 223 VRX with ASP its $85k. If i wanted a 24' I'd get the 243 vrx.

Plus i want to be able to surf out of the box stock.

I own a 212x and knock on wood have never needed the clean out ports.

Since we mainly surf now, it's next to impossible to ingest the rope. The rope we have now is so buoyant and it has floats on it. Plus it's pretty short. Just have to be extra careful with wake board and tube ropes.

I went to the dealer yesterday and the boat is very nice. They have little features my Yamaha should have but doesn't.

Last edited:

JHC212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder how good the wave is for a 223 VRX with ASP. That 243 in the video looks great.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I totally understand but am now blown away by the fact that Yamaha is no longer the "low" price solution.

JHC212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just thought I'd update.

The local dealer wouldn't take the 212x in on trade since it's a direct competitor.

Ended up buying a 2016 Moomba Mondo Surf edition! The ride is a lot rougher than the 212x but so far we like it. Like the sun pad more than expected, I thought we would miss the Yamaha lounge. Both are great and you enjoy them differently.

Can't wait to fill the ballast after the break in....just in time for storage :-(. Oh well got a pretty good end of season rebate.

I LOVE how the engine sounds when it first starts up.....sounds like pure power!

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Here's a video of surfing behind the Chap 223 with the ASP.