• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thinking of selling my '94 F350 IDI

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not for sure, that's why I didn't post in the for sale section but seriously thinking about it,

I'm a cash in hand, keep it for a long time, don't need fancy kind of guy.

It's a 1994 F350 crewcab dually 7.3L turbo IDI (before powerstroke where the 7.3L made it's name).
160K miles with a Jasper transmission
I'm the second owner, bought it from my neighbor in 2005 with about 105K miles. He was in construction and worked it but really took care of his stuff and logged everything, even greasing and wheel bearings,

It's in good shape for a 24 yr old vehicle, not pristine, has fading paint but no accidents or body damage and engine is strong. Lots of new stuff over the years, injection pump, starter, AC, radiator and most importantly last month $1,500. worth of 6 brand new tires.

I originally bought the truck to deliver cargo for my business. Unfortunately about 6 months after I bought the truck I lost the account so it only got used for pulling the boy scout trailer on campouts and now in the summer to pull the boat to the lake (about a 15 minute tow) and recently a 5 hour trip to AR. I find myself driving it just to keep it from sitting.

I've been bitten by the TDI bug and really thinking of getting a used Q7 for about 30k as my daily driver ( I drive at least 20K a year) and it can also pull the boat so I could sell the truck and save on insurance and just the hassle of an extra vehicle sitting around and we don't have a ton of parking at the house (normally the truck is at the office over the winter) I've got a friend (not vedubtek!) that works on TDI so maintenance isn't really a worry for me.

If I owned a farm I'd be in trouble with all the old stuff I'd park behind the barn ( @zipper ) I'm sentimentally attached to it, I've had a truck for the last 30 years and lost my last faithful great running vehicle get trashed by the guy I GAVE it to.

The money side of me says hold em', Q5 runs is adequate and truck is paid for,

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Q7 could run forever, and it's a nice car... But you already know this one WILL run forever...

Don't do it to save money, do it because you are in love with the Q7 and it will be exciting!

It's sad to not use the truck at all... If it's wasting away it's time to get rid of it... Tough decision!!!!!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not for sure, that's why I didn't post in the for sale section but seriously thinking about...

If I owned a farm I'd be in trouble with all the old stuff I'd park behind the barn ( @zipper )
:rolleyes:Guilty! What? What do you mean, its all good stuff!;) In reality she does not want junk accumulating out behind the barn. I am limited to useful working farm equip. and the stuff I need to use in winter is in the barn so it does not get burried outside. Sold our '90 F-Superduty (450) with 7.3l n/a diesel this past spring.

Any reason to stop driving a truck? Some of the newer used diesel 3/4 ton trucks drive nice and get good mileage, I get 23mpg driving at 55mph with my 06 Chevy 4x4, I know I can tow the boat and more, I like the elevated platform over most vehicles. However I would love to have either a Touareg or Cayenne to drive around.

Last edited:

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'd seriously advise checking out the Touareg or Cayenne over the Q7. Q7 remained virtually unchanged from 07-15, and it was extremely stale by then. Both Touareg and Cayenne were recently updated for the year range/engine you're looking for and light years nicer (unless you gotta have that 3rd row). All are similarly priced, and all can still be found unfixed (read - pocket 9K cash back when you get it fixed) (read more - put 2K back into it completely unfixing). I paid 30K for my current '14 Cayenne TDI, fully optioned out. And got $9500 back when I had it "fixed". Those deals are getting harder to find, but even if mine were fixed pre-purchase, it was still a great deal.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are diesel guys who would jump at getting a good running 7.3... before egr.... before def.... before regen... and they may actually make it work whichnis what a diesel needs. I have an 96 with the 6.0 and i go days with out driving it. But if the family goes anywhere together we drive big berffa! We love it. I am pretty sure if ut list it, it will be gone quick.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
that truck does look like a tank, that is for sure. on the Q7, I am not thrilled on the idea. If I had a luxury SUV, I will be worried leaving it some random parking lot overnight.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd seriously advise checking out the Touareg or Cayenne over the Q7. Q7 remained virtually unchanged from 07-15, and it was extremely stale by then. Both Touareg and Cayenne were recently updated for the year range/engine you're looking for and light years nicer (unless you gotta have that 3rd row). All are similarly priced, and all can still be found unfixed (read - pocket 9K cash back when you get it fixed) (read more - put 2K back into it completely unfixing). I paid 30K for my current '14 Cayenne TDI, fully optioned out. And got $9500 back when I had it "fixed". Those deals are getting harder to find, but even if mine were fixed pre-purchase, it was still a great deal.
All good points, of course!

I freaking loved our Q7, still miss it dearly. The 3rd row is a consideration. The only thing I do not like about newer Q7/T-rex line is they are making those more and more compact (smaller). Which is fantastic for their street/highway drivability but not ideal for towing the heavier YJBs like the 24s.

--

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
89 E350 Van with the 7.3 it was great put 279k and sold it running strong! That was the 7.3 before the turbo. 13.9 mpg it had duel tanks I loved that truck, ice cold A/C but only a AM radio I kept meaning to change radio but never got to it and after 250,000 miles I realized I was never going to.