• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thinking of switching to Yamaha

caphilli

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been thinking about picking up 2021 Yamaha AR190. I have no experience with jet boats but plenty of experience with boats. I grew up on a Chaparral 236 Sunesta and I currently have a Sea Ray 176.
I don't do a lot of water sports - just a little tubing/wakeboarding here and there. Some friends are interested in wakeboarding/surfing, but not to the point where we'd be hitting the lake every weekend to do those things. Mostly cruising, relaxing, enjoying the water.
Here are some of my questions/concerns.
1) Will the AR 190 have enough power to pull a wakeboarder with 4-5 people in the boat?
2) How do these handle in choppy water? I'm on Lake Allatoona in GA, and the weekends get pretty choppy. Will it be unmanageable/unenjoyable?
3) I've heard maintenance is pretty easy/reasonable. I'm pretty savvy (oil change/spark plugs/winterization) What's needed annually?
4) Due to the shortage, it's been tough to go for a test ride; What are some key differences from an I/O should I know before buying?
Thanks!

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
1) Should be no problem.
2) Handles the chop fairly well. Depends on the size obviously, 3' swells will be a an issue.
3) Maintenance is easy. Oil, Plugs, Treat Gas, that's about it.
4) Pros - No lower unit so less draft & maintenance, a bit safer swimming in back, no shifting issues from forward to reverse!
Cons - Sucking things up like weeds, stones and ropes. If you're careful, shouldn't be an issue and you have the clean out port. A little more cavitation than a prop boat. Slow speed handling, get some fins and it fixes it.

jetboatjay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@jdkaeser just about summed up the whole response. I would agree with all he mentioned. My only add-on would be:

1. will have more power than your Sea Ray 176, with less bow raise.
2. Chop is not good on any 19 ft boat, but it deals with it pretty good.
3. Maintenance is a bonus. Much easier for someone experienced like yourself. You will be pleasantly surprised.
4. Pros: steering is more nimble, boat is more fun to tear around a lake in. More room inside than most 19 footers.
Cons: You need fins. Without something behind you, the back end slips and slides and makes for frustrating low speed handling. I mean really frustrating. Embarrassingly frustrating. (hope I made my point.....)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you can swing it, bump it up to an AR210 and if you can store and tow it. Twin engines. Handles the chop very well. Plenty of room. If not, the 19' will do fine. It is a great boat.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I am on Allatoona and have went from a Searay180, 2017 AR190 and currently 2020 212S.
1. When pulling something i wished the 190 had more power. Specifically a three person tube, you bleed a lot of speed in turns. Many time my sons would give me the thumbs up to go faster and I was already WOT. That is the one thing the 4.3 on my little searay bet the 190 on, the searay had alot more grunt.
2. 190 bet the searay hands down on Allatoona chop but on the 4th of July you're going to get beat up regardless.
3. Mantaince hands down, all day, no contest The AR190.
3. Steering is a lot different at slow speeds but my wife and I got it down pretty quick. I never added fins everyone here swears buy them. I think I am the only one that had never upgraded to them.
Cons on the 190. lack of power from time to time and it was noticeable louder than the searay.
Pros on the 190. Mantaince, layout (it feels a lot bigger than a 19ft boat), swim platform, it also just felt more fun then the searay hard to explain but it did.
All that being said when my wife and I decided we needed a little more room and power, I got another Yamaha.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with all above. I previously had a 1999 BR180 Carb 3.0. I love the 190 for space, layout and ease of maintenance. The noise might be an issue for you and whipping a tube just isn't the same.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have the a 2017 Chaparral 223VRX jet boat. Came from the Yamaha 2015 SX-192. It was a fun little boat which I had for 3 years. I love my Chap and would never go back. Speed, handling and maneuverability is unmatched. This boat incredible! Cost more but worth it.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
1) Will the AR 190 have enough power to pull a wakeboarder with 4-5 people in the boat? For sure.

2) How do these handle in choppy water? I'm on Lake Allatoona in GA, and the weekends get pretty choppy. Will it be unmanageable/unenjoyable? They cut water very nicely, but "unenjoyable" is a personal preference. Consider going to a 21' if ride quality is high on your list.

3) I've heard maintenance is pretty easy/reasonable. I'm pretty savvy (oil change/spark plugs/winterization) What's needed annually? Plugs/oil/gas/beer/lube your cleanout ports. I'm in WI, and I purchased a jet boat because Yamaha motors are fantastic and naturally draining with zero worry about winterizing.

4) Due to the shortage, it's been tough to go for a test ride; What are some key differences from an I/O should I know before buying?
Thanks! Motors rev higher, so louder at speed. Low speed handling takes some getting used to, but the aftermarket has solved most of the issues if it really bothers you. No more hitting things with your lower unit. No more lower unit maintenance. No more props to worry about. No more trimming to get on plane to worry about. Handling is super fun and, once you get your low speed / docking down, you'll do more with a jet boat than you could with an I/O. Open transom and seating is the biggest joy of these boats, by far.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the a 2017 Chaparral 223VRX jet boat. Came from the Yamaha 2015 SX-192. It was a fun little boat which I had for 3 years. I love my Chap and would never go back. Speed, handling and maneuverability is unmatched. This boat incredible! Cost more but worth it.
I looked very seriously at the Chaparral's before I got our boat last spring. Awesome boat, but didn't want to spend the extra funds and getting a boat again after many years was unsure of the jet and how the family would like it. None the less, it looked great.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I make 2 special steering systems that obviously fix the slow speed handling issues and the high speed bleed off , they also handle rough conditions and help with the hole shot for water sport activities as well as clean the spray behind the boat, so do not let those things be a concern ask people on this site who have the super ultimate ak-19 or the viper Very inexpensive and they would NEVER void your warranty.
Making jet boats steer and drivers smile for 20 years The innovator of after market jet boat and p w c steering enhancements and NO PLASTIC PARTS nor do they increase the draft of the boat.

caphilli

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am on Allatoona and have went from a Searay180, 2017 AR190 and currently 2020 212S.
1. When pulling something i wished the 190 had more power. Specifically a three person tube, you bleed a lot of speed in turns. Many time my sons would give me the thumbs up to go faster and I was already WOT. That is the one thing the 4.3 on my little searay bet the 190 on, the searay had alot more grunt.
2. 190 bet the searay hands down on Allatoona chop but on the 4th of July you're going to get beat up regardless.
3. Mantaince hands down, all day, no contest The AR190.
3. Steering is a lot different at slow speeds but my wife and I got it down pretty quick. I never added fins everyone here swears buy them. I think I am the only one that had never upgraded to them.
Cons on the 190. lack of power from time to time and it was noticeable louder than the searay.
Pros on the 190. Mantaince, layout (it feels a lot bigger than a 19ft boat), swim platform, it also just felt more fun then the searay hard to explain but it did.
All that being said when my wife and I decided we needed a little more room and power, I got another Yamaha.
Thanks for the info! I boated on toona this summer in the SeaRay176 and some days if felt like we were going to be swallowed by the chop. I'm fine being bounced around a bit, but I don't want my passengers to feel like they have to literally hold on for life. As far as pulling goes; the SeaRay did alright with 1 tuber - and felt like it had a bunch of power: Merc 3.0l 4cyl. Will the 190 feel more powerful? Definitely looking for a good all around boat that we can hang out on in a cove but also pull a tuber or wakeboarder. No kids, so it'll be more of a hang out boat. Did you go through Park Marine? I seem to be having a little rough time with them; if that says anything. Thanks!!

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks for the info! I boated on toona this summer in the SeaRay176 and some days if felt like we were going to be swallowed by the chop. I'm fine being bounced around a bit, but I don't want my passengers to feel like they have to literally hold on for life. As far as pulling goes; the SeaRay did alright with 1 tuber - and felt like it had a bunch of power: Merc 3.0l 4cyl. Will the 190 feel more powerful? Definitely looking for a good all around boat that we can hang out on in a cove but also pull a tuber or wakeboarder. No kids, so it'll be more of a hang out boat. Did you go through Park Marine? I seem to be having a little rough time with them; if that says anything. Thanks!!
Not sure about the power my searay had a 4.3L V6 which was the upgrade eng. I would assume the 3.0 is comparable to the 1.8 yamaha eng., not sure. I purchased my 2017 190 from Park Marine it was really smooth transaction. My 212S was from a private seller that was a lot more work to purchase. From what I am reading I think the 190 would suit you fine.👍