• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thought you could use a laugh on / at me

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The goal: Purchase a "cheap" first person viewing (FPV) system so I can fly my radio controlled quad copter/drone from a pilots perspective.

The solution and cost:
1. Walkera's "budget" FPV googles ($130 from a China, $170 if I would have bought them here).
2. $20 for special data cable between the goggles and my iPhone.
3. $110 for a new remote control which allows me to control the tilt of the drones camera from the remote. Normally this is done be an app on the smart IPhone.
*. Total $260 ($150 for the required hardware) and three weeks of waiting.

The results:
1. The solution I bought will,play videos from you tube and clips taken with the iPhone but will NOT simply project what is being displayed in the phone's screen (e.g. The application I use to fly and see what the helicopter sees). So briefly stated it does NOT work as advertised or expected.
2. I was able to return the controller for a full refund. The cable costs I will eat and my ability to return the googles is up in the air since I bought them through an online company based in the UK that had them dropped shipped from China.

The photos:
My wife said that they make my butt look big, I think I have bigger problems than that with them. Some of my crew calls them my sexy bitch glasses (it's a misnomer). Anyone remember Jorie LaForge for the tv series Star Trek the Next Generation? Maybe I can attach some LEDs to the front and go for the Knight Rider/KITT look.

image.jpg

image.jpg
I've since ordered these googles and may mount them under the bill of a hat/visor.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/171535657283?nav=SEARCH

It looks goofy but it's still a lot less expensive than the sure to work / premium solution.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/191381345062?nav=SEARCH

Last edited:

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Put the big butt pic as your PC wallpaper and see how that works out.....lol.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just remember to take them off before you drive home.:)

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Put the big butt pic as your PC wallpaper and see how that works out.....lol.
Kweschun: Is this a BBQ thread ? LOL ! (It was too easy and hard fer me to resist).

Last edited:

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I thought the cheapest Fat Shark setup was under 200.00. Did you research that? Also, Try http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ They have some great items at really good prices.

It's been a long time since I bought my Fat Shark Kit, I don't even remember what I paid for it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the referral @Big Shasta . I will check it out soon because to add insult to injury my second of two batteries went bad this weekend, now I have more to buy and the battery is not optional. The main problem with the Phantom 2 vision is that it already uses the 5.8 ghz band for control and the 2.4 ghz for the fpv to the smart phone so my options are a little more limited. Plus the batteries are proprietary so they can charge pretty much what they want, currently $129 is the lowest cost I can find.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks for the referral @Big Shasta . I will check it out soon because to add insult to injury my second of two batteries went bad this weekend, now I have more to buy and the battery is not optional. The main problem with the Phantom 2 vision is that it already uses the 5.8 ghz band for control and the 2.4 ghz for the fpv to the smart phone so my options are a little more limited. Plus the batteries are proprietary so they can charge pretty much what they want, currently $129 is the lowest cost I can find.
We have a local battery shop that can open and rebuild any type of battery pack you bring them. They usually can rebuild them with better cells than they came with. They will rebuild cordless drill batteries and anything like that. Maybe check and see if you have any places like that.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was thinking about that yesterday while I was holding the two faulty packs I have, they is, all I really need is the cells to connect to the dji battery case. I will check but I've never seen a shop that actually works on batteries just those that sell them.

The zeiss cinemizer is calling my name but at nearly $800 it is a very faint call. I will look at the fat shark systems again for a plug and play solution like the cinemizer.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Gotta love the whole Star Trek look!

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Ronnie, sorry to hear about your little mishap (and your big BUTT)

I finally invested in a drone myself! I was so proud the day they sent me the certificate of ownership. I'm working on my certification to fly it right now.

In the meantime, I have it on loan to the Albanian Air Force. They are doing their part to help out with those bastards from ISIS.

They sent a screen shot of the first day at work:

dronestrike.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I want a drone like your's @ Glassman .

I spend part of Veteran's Day looking for an hdmI conversion cable but was told that it doesn't exist. I also checked out the fat shark fpv google line but the one that would allow me to plug right into my phone was one of their higher end models at $650ish. Finally out of frustration I bought the Carl zeiss Oled versions and paid a little extra to have them overnighted. I'm currently working from home waiting on the delivery. The cost was $765 ($730 wo expedited shipping) for these including shipping. My local hobby store sells them for $800 but they were out of stock. I also repurchased and set up the new remote. So my total cost so far to go fpv is right around $1,000 (very lopsided since the heli originally cost me $1,200 and currently sells for $900, what can I say I've been bitten and needed retail therapy) but I'm should be able to sell the first goggles and cable for $100. I hope its worth it. I'd would be cool to get the feeling of flying, or at the very least the view, without the danger or expense.

Incidentally, I think my big butt is what makes my butt look big. Although if I get the ski google cover for the fpv goggles they may make it look small (more than likely they will just make my head look small).

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So here are a fe pics of me with my latest "sexy b" shades on. As expected they were delivered on time and they work. The first look revealed that the eye shield does not block out all of the light so I will probably end up buying a ski goggle mod. I also just got an apple 5s to Hdmi adapter so I could use it with my iPad mini and newer iPhones. That along with a short Hdmi cable and the money is still flowing on this project which started as a simple $150 thing. Still I'm looking forward to trying them in flight tonight and hopefully to getting better footage in the future.
image.jpg image.jpg

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Ronnie ........ Can I have all of your discards ?

You know.the ones you no longer want or need ?

Help the needy, @Ronnie .... see my outstretched arms and hands. LOL !

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I saw the announcement for the phantom 3 but am not interested in it myself, not that it isnt a great heli but im waitning on one of these to be delivered. Its supposed to ship this quarter, hopefully sooner than later in the boating season. I plan to have it follow or rotate around board and tube riders this summer. Should also fit in the waverunner.

Last edited:

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I must admit, that IS very cool!

With my luck I'd drive through a tunnel. :confused: