• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thoughts for potential buyers (my early reivew) of 2015 Ar190

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So I picked up my AR190 as I posted about. I now have put a bit over 10 hours on the boat and love it! We have been on the water 4 days this week already (20 min drive from my house). This is our first boat just as a reference.

I read a lot about the lack of power and that I would have trouble. Maybe its be it is my first boat that I do not know how bad it is but the power does not seem bad. I had 5 adults on the boat this past weekend and we were doing some tubing. I was easily able to pull a tube and get up quick even with someone in the bow. NOW, I will say that I did the "ribbon delete" (not sure why its called this? This thing looks more like a catalytic converter!) and it did help a good bit for top end. Prior to the delete, I was stuck at about 7400 RPM and topped out at 39mph (3 adults, 1 child) via GPS (43mph on speedo). After delete, I was able to hit 42-43mph (this time with 4 adults) via GPS (46-47 on speedo)! This is at 1100' lake elevation in 100+ degree temperatures. Maybe its not what people are used to but I am pretty happy with the performance. For a minute I was worried about regretting the purchase after all the SHO talk but at this point, I do not regret it. The mileage is pretty good too as a full tank will last us 8 hours easy on the water just playing around.

Stereo thoughts. To be desired. I have spent quite a bit of money getting the essentials (not going cheap, want stuff to last) so the wife has basically cut me off. I did sneak in a Sony 160w RMS stereo deck though. It does help the sound a good bit over the factory deck but I believe the speakers are SHIT. I do plan on replacing them very shortly. I know, this upgrade is not nearly as good as an amp'ed setup, but it will get me by for the next year.

Ride quality I feel is pretty good. Its been awhile since Ive been on boats. I remember as a kid the super rough rides of the old Bayliners that were so popular (probably becuase they were cheap). I was kind of expecting that but pleasantly surprised to find thats not the case. I encountered some heavy chop with white caps on the lake this weekend and it handled them very well I thought. Defintely not a 24' boat, but not horrid either.

Then there was the dreaded rope in the impellar that everyone says WILL happen. My brother brought his wifes nephew aboard for some tubing. I had been doing a good job of making sure eveyrone paid great attention to the rope and its location and we had no issues until I did not get on this kid. Well, he was clueless and while I was idling, he let the rope get sucked in! It killed the engine and wrapped around countless times. About 30 f bombs later and 20 minutes later, I was able to clear the rope. Needless to say I was worried shitless that I ruined the new motor.

For the factory trailer, I definitely suggest a new polyurethane roller RIGHT AWAY like I read about on here. The factory one scratched by keel and was only on there for 3 load/offloads. I also plan on getting 14" wheels and radial tires for it shortly (and a 7 pin adapter for the janky 4 pin trailer connection).

Garaging. As some have stated, you can fit in a 7' garage. I have a 6'10" opening and clear it by 1/2" BUT my driveway is angled just right. If it was flat, I would have had to put a drop hitch on and lower the trailer while pulling in. So happy it fits in the garage! Makes it easy when I get off of work and just want to go.

Other than that, the boat is awesome! I have been running the hell out of her (after break in of course) and no issues! Having a blast, catching fish, doing some water sports. So far, this purchase has been a good one and I hope we continue to use it. The only bad thing is the amount of money I am spending..... Like I said, I have been cut off (temporarily) but plan on doing some upgrades like the BBQ, some ambient LED lighting, stereo, and few other small things. Thanks to everyone on the forums for their input. Ive already learned lots. Off to do my oil change now and lube for the 10 hours service!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice review. . . .the only people that have to be happy with the purchase are the ones who paid the bill. Glad it is working out well for you. Enjoy it.

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks. Dont get me wrong, I am already wanting a larger boat (to a point) but so far, keeping 4-5 MAX has been fairly comfortable. I am definitely not upset for getting a 19' especially getting into it. I am sure I would have had a hell of a time learning to maneuver a 24' with a jet.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great review!
2 pairs of Polk DB651s and the Clarion xc1410 amp is the best stereo upgrade on a budget for that boat. Killer sound for about $250 if you shop hard. Can't beat that.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup I think that is the same amp that @DBamaC has in his 192 and it sounded pretty dang good for such a small amp. I actually thought he had a sub hidden somewhere, it sounded that good lol. I'm going to buy one for my 192 as well since I don't care for tower speakers on this boat due to size.

BTW great review and I agree. The 19' boats are great, affordable fun for the family! We have a blast on ours!

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We love our 190. Someday we'll pick up someone's used larger 2017, or 18 or 2020. For now we hope our timing chain lives for many summers as the portability, fuel econony, and ease of towing the 19 is uncomparible. Glad to hear you're enjoying yours as well.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yup I think that is the same amp that @DBamaC has in his 192 and it sounded pretty dang good for such a small amp. I actually thought he had a sub hidden somewhere, it sounded that good lol. I'm going to buy one for my 192 as well since I don't care for tower speakers on this boat due to size.
What several members here have used, no complains so far, seems like a safe choice for low cost class-D amp:
http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-Elect...F8&qid=1463597545&sr=8-1&keywords=clarion+amp

https://jetboaters.net/threads/better-investment-for-sx192-bazooka-amplified-sub-or-new-amplifier-for-stock-speakers.10991/#post-188623

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. Dont get me wrong, I am already wanting a larger boat (to a point) but so far, keeping 4-5 MAX has been fairly comfortable. I am definitely not upset for getting a 19' especially getting into it. I am sure I would have had a hell of a time learning to maneuver a 24' with a jet.
@Tobes Don't get ME wrong, I love my new 240, BUT -- I also miss my old 190!
190s are amazing, provided they are well tuned with a smooth-running-non-cavitating pump.
The twins have substantially more thrust, which makes them a lot more robust.

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yeah, I think a 21 footer would be perfect honestly. But again, the 212x would have cost me double what the AR190 cost. While we can afford it, we did not think it would be a smart buy to jump into such a big expense not knowing how much we would use it.

As far as that Clarion amp, It is only 50x4 RMS. The Sony deck is 40wx4 (actually benched at 42wx4) and if I go with a 2ohm setup, it can push 65w RMSx4 safely (per Sony). I am strongly thinking about a 2ohm setup just to get me buy for now. I will definitely look into those Polk speakers. I know they make some pretty decent stuff as far as speakers are concerned. While the deck cost me a few bucks (I opted for the non-marine model, I can take it apart and "weatherproof" it myself) @ $200, it saves me on an amp and gives me a much better HU w/ remote. Probably be cheaper to get that Clarion but I wouldve had to pick up a new HU anyways. Thanks for the suggestions for sure!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That amp can run 75w per channel if using low impedance 2 ohm speakers.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I think a 21 footer would be perfect honestly. But again, the 212x would have cost me double what the AR190 cost. While we can afford it, we did not think it would be a smart buy to jump into such a big expense not knowing how much we would use it.

As far as that Clarion amp, It is only 50x4 RMS. The Sony deck is 40wx4 (actually benched at 42wx4) and if I go with a 2ohm setup, it can push 65w RMSx4 safely (per Sony). I am strongly thinking about a 2ohm setup just to get me buy for now. I will definitely look into those Polk speakers. I know they make some pretty decent stuff as far as speakers are concerned. While the deck cost me a few bucks (I opted for the non-marine model, I can take it apart and "weatherproof" it myself) @ $200, it saves me on an amp and gives me a much better HU w/ remote. Probably be cheaper to get that Clarion but I wouldve had to pick up a new HU anyways. Thanks for the suggestions for sure!
I know exactly what you mean. I tried that with my older JBL deck/HU, which actually had pretty good power output. It just doesn't work.
Well, I shouldn't say that. It just didn't work for me.

Last edited:

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I know exactly what you mean. I tried that with my older JBL deck/HU, which actually had pretty good power output. It just doesn't work.
Well, I shouldn't say that. It just didn't work for me.

Its the first deck of its kind really in single DIN. Most decks cap @ 22w RMS, some at 25W RMS.