• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle body Leak, poor performance/loss of speed, hard to start, high idle

Secret Cabin no. 5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was having issues with first off loss of speed that gradually got worse and sometimes improved a bit. Then the engine was stalling every now and then when starting. Sometimes rpms seemed to not be stable and sometimes they were. Then the idle went up significantly (near 2000rpm). I spent hours and hours looking for problems and doing research and finally found one little post on Greenhulk about a new throttle body mount from Riva/Worx/or whoever for $85. Solved all issues!

So the issue was a bad throttle body mount that delaminates and lets excess air in that the ECU cannot control as well as loss of boost. This explains the bad idle and then the loss of speed/performance.

The Yamaha mount is a poorly designed part but had a good intention to isolate the throttle body from engine vibrations. It consists of a mounting plate with a rubber section bonded to the metal and the bolts that hold the throttle body do not go through the metal plate and the only thing holding this part together is essential some glue. So it slowly develops small holes and as the engine heats and cools the rubber expands and contracts causing different issues at different times that leads the owner to change out other parts looking for a fix for this issue.

Here is the Riva Part link from Greenhulk: https://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_82_114&products_id=5506&zenid=93s9vpfmjh4qkt19m9ibk7jdv5

Attachments

Secret Cabin no. 5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
About 80-100h but keep in mind rubber fails over time and not just use time. My boat is 2013.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's a great video as well going over the ribbon delete and the throttle body plate. At around the 1:36 mark he talks about the delamination issue. Never knew of this but its something I'll keep an eye on. They say (on Greenhulk) you can check yours at idle and if you try to move the throttle body from side to side or front to back and if the RPMs go up and down or idle changes it means your throttle body damper is bad. That's what the black plastic piece is called.

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm going to have to check this next time we're out. I've been noting a loss of oomph this season. 2014 AR190

id10tfr33

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ive got a 2019 ar240 1.8 HO throwing intermittent throttle body codes. wonder if this is my issue?