• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle Cables/Forward & Reverse

Thomas Smith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yamaha SX210 My starboard side lever is "stiff" it will fully function but is much stiffer than the port, this is new and since it has sat all winter I figured it is more than likely time to replace and not a simple adjustment. My question is does anyone know if this is generally the cable that moves the nozzle cover or is this more than likely the throttle cables themselves and is there a definitive way to rule out which set of cables it may be? Thank you for the time.

Shane

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Reverse cables, not the throttle cables.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are 2 cables. It's the reverse cables that move the gate that you want to replace to restore the smoothness.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’ll also suggest looking at the gates to make sure there’s nothing binding them up. This has been my experience a few times. Usually a rock or a stick.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If your replacing one i would replace them all including steering, they are 14 years old

We have write ups and detailed instructions in the faq section

Thomas Smith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you, yes I have already done the steering two years ago, but never the throttle or reverse cables......I did confirm nothing is binding the gates up, they are free and correct when I disconnected the cable end to rule it out. Thank you for the input and advice !

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
According to this thread, https://jetboaters.net/threads/seastar-teleflex-steering-systems-and-cables.10706/

your 21ft boat uses Teleflex Part number SSC21916.

If it's so tight you are concerned with its function, you can disconnect it from the reverse gate and try to lubricate the cable as best you can. It's a temporary solution, but it can buy you a few weeks or months. The most effective way I have found is to rig a short hose around the cable such that it goes over the sheath around the cable, and clamp it in place with a hose clamp, then fill the hose with oil and rig some air pressure (either bike pump or electric slow air compressor) and give it some pressure to push the oil inside the cable and the sheath around it. While there is some pressure on the oil, actuate the lever Reverse cable with the throttle levers to help the oil flow. Depending on how bad the cables are you could see great improvement while you wait for the new cables.

Best of Luck!

Thomas Smith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
According to this thread, https://jetboaters.net/threads/seastar-teleflex-steering-systems-and-cables.10706/

your 21ft boat uses Teleflex Part number SSC21916.

If it's so tight you are concerned with its function, you can disconnect it from the reverse gate and try to lubricate the cable as best you can. It's a temporary solution, but it can buy you a few weeks or months. The most effective way I have found is to rig a short hose around the cable such that it goes over the sheath around the cable, and clamp it in place with a hose clamp, then fill the hose with oil and rig some air pressure (either bike pump or electric slow air compressor) and give it some pressure to push the oil inside the cable and the sheath around it. While there is some pressure on the oil, actuate the lever Reverse cable with the throttle levers to help the oil flow. Depending on how bad the cables are you could see great improvement while you wait for the new cables.

Best of Luck!
Awesome !! Thank you for the input, much appreciated.