• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle Deadband

Ddip1125

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi All. Hope you are starting to enjoy some of the warm weather out there on your boats. I'm a new jet boat owner and got the boat out yesterday for the break in. I am a little disappointed in the responsiveness of the throttle. It seems like you have to move the throttle quite a bit to get any propulsion. This happens in both forward and reverse. This may be completely normal and I am just not used to it yet but I thought I would check on here to see if that can be adjusted. Sorry if this is common knowledge but coming from a stern drive to a jet boat I'm not sure there is any common knowledge haha. Thanks guys!

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, the size of the impellers and the amount of water that is projected out of the pumps does not provide significant propulsion until the RPM rise a bit. So there is a band between which propulsion is limited. This is normal and you will get use to it.

Also, if your clean out plugs are not seated will, that will limit propulsion as well.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The middle of the throttle range moves the buckets that convert forward movement to reverse. In this range the throttle is at idle. This part of the throttle is very useful for low speed precise manuvers, especially if you engage the no wake mode to bump up the RPM.

Ddip1125

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys. It just feels a little odd because I feel like I'm moving the throttle pretty far in both directions before anything happens at all. I'm just used to that immediate response. The good news is once you get to the spot where it responds it goes and it goes quickly!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That part of the throttle range is simply moving the buckets. Try having the steering wheel straight and move one throttle forward to just before the RPMs start to increase (bucket fully open) and the other to reverse just before the RPMs start to increase (bucket fully closed). The boat will slowly spin in place. Play with this and the steering wheel and you can learn to walk the boat sideways.

Ddip1125

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Bruce, I've been wondering how guys do that. In order to walk it sideways do you have to keep switching the throttle levers?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length