• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle lever is locking between neutral and forward, detent problem?

ScarabCLT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi, New Scarab owner and new to the forum here!

Appreciate any help and after searching the forum a little, I’m finding a few similar threads but wanted to ask here...

I have a 2014 195 HO. The throttle lever just started locking up on me in between neutral and all the way forward. I’m not sure when or where it will happen as you’re doing a lot of shifting in and out of gear. I think it something to do with my detent catching the gate and locking (little locking lip/Latch). It catches, then locks and it won’t come out of forward. Luckily it’s in very low speeds but does anyone know how to fix this little gray latch in the back?

Is it a gate adjustment or a throttle cable adjustment that’s needed? Or is it something easy eight the detent I need to do?

To fix on the water, I have to kill the engine and stick my hand down on the right of the gate and just flick the gray latch up and the gate then falls down and I can put it in neutral then. Boat is in the water now. Can I just wire tie the little latch up so it won’t catch for now? Any semi- quick fixes for this or what am I doing wrong on this one!

Thank you everyone!

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Mine doesn't lock up but it's hard to go in and out the "gear"

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wrong boat but I had one with similar mechanism and this happened when the cable was starting to get stiff. The latch adds some resistance to the action.... I would lube the area and the cable best I could, and the situation would improve.

To test the theory, you could disconnect the control cable and actuate the mechanism by hand. If it's easy and smooth to unlatch by hand... It could be additional friction in the cable or elsewhere.

Ultimately I replaced the cable and added a below at the cable sheath to keep the grease in and the water out. It held until I sold it, so I can't vouch for the solution long term, but lube helped.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Watch this video. Shows how to disassemble the reverse gate and parts. What to grease and how to put together. Might be good to take yours apart. Clean and grease joints. Plus grease/ spray lube on the locking latch that’s giving you issues. I couldn’t get mine to go into revearse without force earlier this year. Line everything as in video and works perfectly now.