• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle Super Tight on 2012 SX210

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got my SX210 back on the water after it sat for almost a year waiting on a part (transom replaced). I put it on the water for the first time yesterday. The left throttle was so hard to move that I almost couldn't move it. It is especially tight when moving from the neutral position to forward or reverse. Once you get away from the neutral position, it does get a little easier but its still very tight. I had to keep my hand on the throttle pretty much the whole time because even when I moved it forward, it would come back a little bit every time.

It was not this stiff when I used the boat last summer. So I am wondering if it could be related to something the mechanic could have done while replacing the transom or if it is tight because of not being used in a year. Is this something that just needs lubed or something?

My top concern is if using it like this can cause other issues or break something.

I don’t know what I am doing but I just went to the boat to try to move the buckets up and down with my hands. At first, it was hard to move but it moved. Then after I got it back down to cover the jet, I can not move it with my hands now. I don’t know if that’s expected or if it’s an indicator of a worse problem or not. I am supposed to be bringing the boat to a lake this weekend with friends so I am hoping to be able to use the boat.

Anything I can try or do to alleviate this issue? If I can force the throttle from the helm am risk of causing a worse issue?

When you say they replaced the transom... That is usually the term used to refer to the back of the boat. On ours, the part you lean back on when sitting on the back deck. Not sure how they would have replaced that, exactly. Do you have a part number or something?

Sounds like your throttle cable is dead. Usually a replacement job. Disconnect the jet cover from the cable (there is a little spring-loaded cowling you pull back and then it comes off a little ball on the jet cover). See if then the cover moves freely. If so, my money is on that the cable has seized up and must be replaced.

It is possible it is something that the mechanic did something, but this is a pretty normal thing in boats this age. You can lube the cable, but really it is designed to be sealed. Once the water starts to get in, you are just delaying the inevitable with the lubing. And if it sat for awhile with water in there, that can do it.

By transom I meant transom plate.

Should the buckets move easily when trying to move it with your hand? I’d like to be able to free it up or lube it or whatever so I can wait to get it replaced until a time when I don’t need the boat.

I’m with @tdonoughue - sounds like the cable is seized up. You can verify its the cable, and not the actual buckets, by discounting the cable from the top of each reverse bucket. There are two methods, releasing the spring loaded clip, or removing the two bolts on the side of the coupling (I don’t recall if they are 10mm or 8mm). If the buckets remove freely once you have disconnected the coupling, its the cable. If the buckets are still stiff, then you need to check the pivot point, and ensure all hardware was used when assembling the pumps (however, one generally does not need to remove the bucket when pulling a pump).

Here is the description of the cable I used when I replaced mine.
SeaStar Solutions® CCX63318 - XTreme™ 3300CC/33C Series 18' Control Cable (18ft)

There was a DIY on here that I followed. IIRC - it took me ~3 hours to do both cables. You will also need marine silicone to apply where the cable runs through the transom.

Let us know what you determine the issue is.

Just did cables on our 2012 (again). We're in brackish water. Boat out of the water for an extended period this winter and one of the 2 throttle cables, a couple of years old was rock solid frozen. The other I got to move eventually but replaced out of concern. Quite easy but time consuming.

Follow this: How to replace Reverse Gate cable | JetBoaters.net - The World's Largest Jet Boat Forum!

FYI, even with brand new cables, moving the buckets up and down by hand is almost impossible on my boat. Unhook the cables from the buckets and they'll probably just flop around. Side to side is relatively easy. NOTE: as emphasized in the FAQ, pay attention to the number of turns when removing things.

Also to note, if you are replacing the cables, look up the throttle drop fix as well. Since you will already have the throttle out/open, it will only take a couple of minutes.

Jeff from CJS also recommends bees wax (avail in the plumbing aisle, toilet ring) where the two rubber boots are on the cable. This protects against water intrusion.

Oh! I like the beeswax idea! I know that's where the water intrusion and subsequent rust originated on mine - took one a part out of curiosity. Was trying to come up with a sealant that would work...

Back