• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vector or not to Thrust Vector a 252 SD

Something else I thought id mention about being a new boater this year and having the Drive System (paddle shifters) on my 252SD. I can drive and maneuver my boat at much lower speeds than other boats, while in the marinas. I've learned to use the higher "No Wake" mode so the cruisers don't pile up behind me on busy days. Then, when I need to make some turns into my slip, I signal them and make my turns. If they rear end each other at that point, its on them. :D

Totally agree. I dont use the no wake mode at all though. Havent found a need. I can manuver into my slip and be barely creeping with the paddles. They are hands down the best thing about the boat

I took delivery of my 2021 FSH 195 Sport June 10th. June 11th I install the Jetboat Pilot Thrust vectors and Simrad Cruise 9. My initial impression before even getting the boat in the water was the plastic construction seemed a bit flimsy and I kind of wondered how they would handle the force of the water day in and day out. I was on the water June 12th. I am new to boat ownership but not entirely new to boating and familiar with no steering off throttle based on riding multiple jetskis over the years. I grew up tubing, skiing, & Knee boarding behind family boats. I thought the control at slow speeds, below 5 MPH, was good. Of course there is no influence at higher speeds with the Jetboat pilot Thrust vectors. Whatever you do keep all factory parts you happen to remove from your boat. You never know when you might need them. Like the small spacers on the reverse bucket you remove when installing the Thrust vectors.

Aug 21 on return to the ramp I found the small round cross support for the thrust vector was bent and the screw was missing on one side (See Pic). Not even 30 hours on the boat. I maintain Instrument landing Systems (ILS), Air to ground communications (Radios), Ground based Navigation systems (VORTAC/DME), Engine Generators, Large facility Power Conditioning systems (PCS), and dabble in Radar, ASR-9 and ARSR-4. Everything I do is based on following instructions to the letter. So I am 100% confident I installed the Thrust vectors correctly and used the provided blue Loctite everywhere it was required. I am convinced the Jet Boat Pilot thrust vector kits will not hold up to years of use.

Aug 22 I emailed Jeff, owner of Cobra Jet Steering and ask for his recommendation for my boat. He emailed me back within hours and recommended the Super Ultimate AK-19 Deluxe system. I ordered the kit that evening. It was delivered Aug 25th and I installed it the next day. Jeff asked for pics after my install to confirm everything looked good. I sent them and he replied within a hour and all was good. My first impression based on the Aircraft aluminum construction is the Cobra Jet Steering kit is much more solid. I was back on the water by Aug 28th. First thing I noticed on the water was I had much more control at speed. Off throttle after a tuber feel off I could actually steer the boat and start my turn before getting back on the throttle a bit to recover the tuber. I have spent 5 days on the water since install of the Cobra Jet Steering and I can say it performs better than the Jet Boat Pilot Thrust vectors for my use. I am just outside Charleston, SC and spend most of our time on the North Edisto River and just outside that inlet.

I Did not reach out to Jet Boat Pilot. I decided I did not want their kit on my boat any longer.

I Recommend the Cobra Jet Kits. But you know what opinions are like so take it for what it is worth.

Attachments

• cobrajet.jpg
    cobrajet.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 21
  • image0 (3).jpeg
    image0 (3).jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 26
I put the Viper on my Yamaha SX195, it was the only thing that would fit with my Seadoo reverse bucket and the result is amazing! The low speed handling is awesome, I barely have to turn the wheel at no wake/slow speed, It even handles the chop better too. An added benefit was the boat didn’t spin in neutral anymore but it will still spin with a little steering input if I want it to.

Attachments

• E72BB401-AE10-49EF-9BA5-CFA0DBA07B65.jpeg
    E72BB401-AE10-49EF-9BA5-CFA0DBA07B65.jpeg
    763.8 KB · Views: 20
I got the 252SD this year, my first boat was a 2006 AR210. The difference between the two are night and day. I boat mostly on the Columbia river in Portland. The river has a strong current and we can have a decent amount of wind in the afternoon. I had the cobra fins on the old boat but I always had the hardest time docking(mostly me nothing to do with the cobra fins). With the 252SD I use the drive system and back my boat into my slip every time and have yet to bump or hit the dock once. In my opinion I would wait and see if you need them. Most likely you could use that money on other stuff. The drive system ended up being a game changer for me!!

Back