• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vector Review

Dirt squirt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Hello All.

Now that our Michigan winter is hopefully finally over, I got a chance to try out my Scarab with the Thrust Vectors I installed earlier this year before I launched it. I looked at both the T.V.'s and the Cobra Jets, but I just couldn't bring myself to drilling holes in my brand-newish boat, so I opted for the T.Vs.

First off, installation is super easy. It fits over the steering nozzle and attaches to the two existing pivot bolts. All in it's a 10 minute or less job to do. There is really no way to mess it up as far as I can see.

As for how they work: Can someone please tell me why these are not standard equipment? It's pretty much a transformation in how the boat handles. At low speeds it turns and goes where you point it, a far cry from the crank the wheel and wait, wait, wait for the thrust to push you around, (then crank it back and bump the gas just enough to get straightened out) that I was trying to get used to last year. Now there is no "getting used to" anything, it handles just like a "normal" boat.

I frankly do not notice any downside to these. They swing up out of the way at any kind of speed, so there is no effect on high speed maneuverability - which is good. You can still spin the boat around in it's own length like before, and docking and slow speed cruising is much easier than without them.

So what am I missing? Is there some reason I'm not aware of to not install these or Cobra-Jets? Seems like a no brainer to me.

funbobby

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Good to know! I was considering the Cobra Jets because they look like they are bigger and might be more effective, but based on your comments and the drilling I think I'll try the TVs.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Do you know if you loose any top speed with the installation of the Thrust Vector?
Because in the case of Yamaha, that rudder thingy does scrub some speed.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello All.

Now that our Michigan winter is hopefully finally over, I got a chance to try out my Scarab with the Thrust Vectors I installed earlier this year before I launched it. I looked at both the T.V.'s and the Cobra Jets, but I just couldn't bring myself to drilling holes in my brand-newish boat, so I opted for the T.Vs.

First off, installation is super easy. It fits over the steering nozzle and attaches to the two existing pivot bolts. All in it's a 10 minute or less job to do. There is really no way to mess it up as far as I can see.

As for how they work: Can someone please tell me why these are not standard equipment? It's pretty much a transformation in how the boat handles. At low speeds it turns and goes where you point it, a far cry from the crank the wheel and wait, wait, wait for the thrust to push you around, (then crank it back and bump the gas just enough to get straightened out) that I was trying to get used to last year. Now there is no "getting used to" anything, it handles just like a "normal" boat.

I frankly do not notice any downside to these. They swing up out of the way at any kind of speed, so there is no effect on high speed maneuverability - which is good. You can still spin the boat around in it's own length like before, and docking and slow speed cruising is much easier than without them.

So what am I missing? Is there some reason I'm not aware of to not install these or Cobra-Jets? Seems like a no brainer to me.
@Dirt squirt If I recall correctly, the Cobra Ultimates install does not require drilling. Am I missing something?

funbobby

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Dirt squirt If I recall correctly, the Cobra Ultimates install does not require drilling. Am I missing something?
I believe there are no options for Rotax, just one standard Cobra Jet which is bolt on. (Sorry, bolt-on is ambiguous; I meant there is drilling required)

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you know if you loose any top speed with the installation of the Thrust Vector?
Because in the case of Yamaha, that rudder thingy does scrub some speed.
My only experience is with the Cobras, and I have them installed such that they STAY DOWN at speed. I could not measure any drop in speed, with or without the Cobras installed, or with the fins in down (normal in my install) position or up (with the spring unhooked - pulled up by a bungee).
I can not see how the TVs would affect top speed given they are out of the water completely by the time you get on plane.

Do you have a source/reference, anything you can cite? I am very interested.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@funbobby I have cobra ultimates. No drilling required. With the Cobras you have the option of having then deployed all the time or have them deploy at low speed and raise up at high speed. Both are great products, I just feel that the Cobras have more options.

Just noticed you guys are Scarab owners. Not sure about the drilling on the Scarab. Definatly no drilling on the Yamaha.

Last edited:

Shane Scarab

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Dirt squirt Can you still spin the boat in neutral with the thrust vectors installed on your scarab? Also, you know how the seafood steering works opposite a normal boat, basically the direction you turn your wheel is the direction the bow will point when reversing. Do those characteristics change?

Shane Scarab

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Not "seafood", I have no idea why autocorrect added that word. Just imagine it isn't there.

Shane Scarab

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Dirt squirt it seems like the thrust vectors would counteract the natural reverse of the steering in the scarab.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
If these fins allowed the scarabs to back up normally, not the funky way it does now, I would be all over these. So what's the consensus?

Shane Scarab

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I would be all over these things too! If my thinking is correct and the fins attach to the nozzle then the fun will direct the rear of the boat toward one direction while the thrust from the bucket would direct the boat in the opposite direction? Wouldn't this mean less control in reverse? Which device wins, the vectors or the thrust?

I would imagine neutral would work the same but maybe a little duller movement?

Thanks.

funbobby

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
On a single jet boat I don't think there would be any adverse effect on reverse control. The fins are inboard of the reverse gate jets.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I messaged cobra jet steering and was told the Cobras will not change the reverse. It will still be backwards to what is standard, but it will handle better.

Yan Masse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have Trust Vectors on mine, only had 2 hours with it so far but i can say that forward is better but it was the same in reverse.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Cobras with fangs really improve low speed steering response in forward and reverse. The fang is basically a smaller fin that is mounted backward and to the inside and In front of the fins.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you really want to drill holes I have a pair of the original cobras. They have the benefit of being much smaller too. I run the ultimates with the deluxe/dual fangs now. No drilling required there.

funbobby

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I just installed Thrust Vectors this weekend and I'm not really impressed. They might help a little, but nowhere near as much as I expected for the money. Maybe the Cobra Jets would be more effective since they look bigger, but you have to drill. I also think these things make the steering a little heavier at times, like you had power steering but now it's not quite working at 100%. I think I will keep them on for a while and then take them back off to do the old A-B-A evaluation.

Dirt squirt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Ooops! I didn't notice all the replies I got. To answer the questions that were asked:

There is no difference in top speed with the T.V.s. It's the same as before at 37mph

The only installation instructions for any Cobra-Jet I could find on line included having to drill holes in the nozzle. Plus, the Cobra-Jet website really doesn't have much in the way of pictures or specific information regarding the Scarab boats, so it's hard to tell exactly what you are buying. If they do have a model that does not require drilling for installation, they should make potential customers aware of that.

The "neutral spin" is unaffected except for the fact that you don't do it by mistake anymore.

Reverse is unaffected.

Now that I've gotten a few more hours in with the T.V.s, I like them more and more. For example, I can now take my hand off the steering wheel while the boat is (slowly) moving, get something from another area of the boat, and have it still pointing in the same direction when I get back to the wheel 2 seconds later. Not having to make constant steering corrections at low speed is a huge plus.

BTW, sorry to hear about all the problems people are having. I'm at 30 hours and have had no issues to speak of, certainly nothing that required a dealer trip except the 25hr service.