• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vector XL Steering Question

jcurrier

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 242 Limited S that I installed the Thrust Vector XL's on. I must say the increased steering is fantastic and worth the money but I do have a question.

It seems like after they were installed steering at low speeds is much harder. My eight year old commented about why the steering was hard. Off the trailer its super smooth and obviously high speeds is no issue but a little over idle it can get tough.

I emailed jetboatpilot (which they have been great) and they had me check for any binding and I don't see that being the issue.

So my question is, is this normal and are other people noticing this? It would make sense as obviously you are now forcing water though a couple fins but i dont really see many people that have commented about it in other threads and want to make sure im not missing anything.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The fins are trying to keep the nozzles straight. Did you spray lube the pivot points of the nozzles? I keep my pump housing doused in 6-56 and some spray lithium on the pivots.

jcurrier

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did. It pivots no problem in high speeds and when off the trailer. The boat has 15 hours on it and I have sprayed it a few times just for general maintenance.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Before the fins were installed the nozzles had minimal resistance to turning. Now they are acting as rudders. The force required to turn the wheel is expected to increase just as the turning force does.

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, at speed the thrust vectors lift up and minimize drag, at slow speeds the springs keep them fully engaged in the water, acting as rudders. I've noticed with my single engine boat it's easy to turn one direction but more difficult the other direction...I assume that's because of the direction the jet pump is rotating.

jcurrier

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I figured as much and it makes sense. I was just told by Jetboatpilot there shouldn't be much added and was wanting some feedback from others.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When I had the TV XLs on my boat, I noticed that at times it would be extremely difficult to turn to starboard (as in when coming around to pick up a down skier). I found the only way to alleviate this was to cut back to idle, and then throttle back up again. I eventually with with other fin options.

Not sure if this is what you're experiencing or not.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I didn't like that behavior in the XLs as it didn't seem to be normal and could either be a safety issue (requiring that much force to turn the wheel) and it also seemed like it placed a lot of additional stress on the steering system.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Matt Phillips - May I ask what you ended up going with. And what experience/benefit you see with the fins that you have now.

Thank you

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just sent you a PM...