• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vector XL's

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I know this can be a little up for interpretation but from people that have them. Do you think Thrust Vector's help with steering when at the NEUTRAL position. The reason I ask is I have a dual engine boat and have no problem moving the boat around while at low speeds. My problem is more so when I don't want to be on the throttle and want to glide in somewhere. Seems like as soon as I go to neutral I start turning one way or another. Do they help with this? or any other tips to help a guy out. Know @JetBoatPilot was talking about doing a group buy some time soon. So just want to see if I should be putting some of the winter mod budget towards this or not.

flyin_dutchman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
image.jpg I have them. In Neutral, I would say from my experience they help only a little. When I'm gliding into marina or slip, I use L or R engine to idle vectoring for slight adjustments.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I think they do, but I have never been without them so can't really tell you the difference without them for sure. I don't really think I feel any difference from my old I/O.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
To answer your question succinctly: yes.

I've had no fins, TVs, and not TV XLs on my 09 232. By far the XLs give the best steering response when in a very low/slow speed situation. I also like the XLs as they greatly reduce the yawing motion when in no wake mode. Here's two examples where I greatly appreciate the XLs over the other two options.

First. My slip is about a mile of no wake mode out to the lake, past rows of boats at docks, the rental dock (be very afraid of those boats), the marina fuel dock, and then the narrow breakwater and channel out to the lake. Depending on the weekend it can be pretty crazy. The XLs are great because the boat will track better and respond much quicker to steering input than with the other two set-ups.

Second. I'm in the very last dock in the marina next to the sea wall. This means I have to navigate a 90 degree turn to port, go down the finger and then do another 90 degree turn to the port into my 10' wide slip. Distance from the dock to the sea wall at the end of huge dock is only about 20' and it is about 35' where my slip is. When pulling into the slip, I generally feather engines between neutral and forward while making that second 90 degree turn. The TVs help me track this second turn right along with my intended path where as before I always had to compensate for the strain wandering about.

When coming out of the slip, I also I like the fact that I can still pivot the boat on its axis using engine thrust.

One more added bonus of the XLs is that the steering is responsive enough so that other people feel comfortable handling the boat in slow maneuver situations. This is nice for those times when I want to get into the water and play on the wakeboard.

Finally, when it comes to dealing with Will and JBP, I wish there were many, many more vendors like Will. I had a warranty issue with one of my XL (they were an early production pair) that meant I needed to replace one of the sets. Will graciously mailed out the replacement kit, let me keep it for three weeks until I could get back up to the lake to replace it, and then promptly accepted the returned parts. All without question.

I hope this helps.

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That it does, one more thing. The dealer I bought the boat at says adding fins cuts a few mph off the top speed. Is there any truth to that? What about backing into sand bars? Easier to damage the fins? Sorry for all the questions just trying to decide if they are right for me or not. And I assume you are, but what about high speed manouvers, say 45mph, full turn to Port? no issues with flex or breaking of the fins? And last but not least, can you still use them if you are using a WakeWedge?

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I went two (I think) seasons fin-less and then relented when my wife completely refused to drive the boat without them. I bought TVXLs and I'm very happy with them.

I agree with Matt that yes, they do help even when in neutral.

As far as high-speed maneuvers, the TVXLs flip up when you get moving. The cross-bar "rides" on the jet stream and holds the fins in the up position so it's just like being fin-less. When you're going slower, they drop back down into position.

I've done spins and such many times since I installed them with no issues.

Top speed reduction? Sorry, can't answer that one. Top speed isn't really all that important to me. I rarely get above 8K RPM. (I don't like the way it sucks gas at higher speeds.)

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
And guess I'll answer my own question, after rereading all off the wakewedge thread it looks like it works fine with the TV-XL. So guess I'll add it to the list... my poor poor wallet

Thanks for all the replies!

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
A friend of mine that I have season tickets with also bought a yammie the same day I did.

I had tv's installed before I picked it up, and he didn't. A month ago he drove my boat and he said he was going to install some tv's this offseason.

I installed them to avoid damage while docking.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The XL's flip up about 8ish mph so I don't see how they can affect top speed at all.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That it does, one more thing. The dealer I bought the boat at says adding fins cuts a few mph off the top speed. Is there any truth to that? What about backing into sand bars? Easier to damage the fins? Sorry for all the questions just trying to decide if they are right for me or not. And I assume you are, but what about high speed manouvers, say 45mph, full turn to Port? no issues with flex or breaking of the fins? And last but not least, can you still use them if you are using a WakeWedge?
Yes that can be used with the wake wedge :)

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hmmm.....these XL's you speak of...I wonder if I would like them better than my cobra fins? ??

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
No affect on top speed, Do it...You won't regret it.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As for stern beaching, the XLs only hang done below the het noddles about 4-6 inches. At that depth, I'd be more worried about ingesting stuff in my impellers.

ccrayjr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I drove my boat without them for months and added them a about a month ago... good investment. I notice a big difference in low speed steering.

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I backed my 192 into the shore just a little to shallow one time and pushed the fins into the sand & pebble bottom. When I pulled the boat out of the water later that day I noticed that I bent both fins pretty good (and I noticed the boat trying to turn for the rest of the day). I took the fins off, bent them back straight, and put them back on. Been that way for over a year now.

Moral of the story is, yes they do affect how far back you can back the boat up towards the beach. But if you go too far you aren't going to break anything. And then you learn from your mistake :)

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They don't effect top speed and in the shallows the single engine models do stand a chance of hitting bottom. The twin engine boats don't run nearly that risk since the keel protrudes lower than the hull. If you have further questions feel free to call us next week when I am back in the office.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have always been finless until this afternoon when I got to try out my new TVXLs. I got them so others feel more comfortable driving. My outing was solo for oil changes so I was able to cover the boat's performance spectrum well. My best description of the result is "tighter steering". The wheel had a very loose feel before where I made lots of small steering adjustments. It still handles like a jet boat and differential trust is still very helpful and a needed skill for docking, but it is nice to be a little lazy at the wheel in no wake. The most pronounced effect observed was the amount of force on the steering wheel needed when making a slow planing turn adding power. They are definitely working back there when deployed. I have always enjoyed tighter sport-car type steering, so assuming my original steering cables are up for the task, I like the new feel and handling. I also noticed a small rooster tail when coming off plane as they drop back down. This is a good indication for rigging them should you wish to make adjustments to the springs.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
And guess I'll answer my own question, after rereading all off the wakewedge thread it looks like it works fine with the TV-XL. So guess I'll add it to the list... my poor poor wallet

Thanks for all the replies!

Referring to 212x only

It works but only for slow speed and straight line watersports. Any major turn at all and the fin can bind on the turnbuckle causing the steering to lock. This is also noted in our instructuons. We are trying to come up with a fix but with the newer 212x boats the jet pump sits closer to the swim deck. With all of the 212x versions sold I have talked to each person over the phone about this. This may also be the same with the ultimate cobra fins but I have not been able to try it out with those version yet.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I cut two 12" peices of pool noodle. When I am at the sandbar, I put the throttles in the full forward position, lift the TV's and stick the pool noodle in the pump. It protrudes enough that the TV cross member rest on the noodle and hold them up.