• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust vectors and Lateral thrusters

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I just picked up my brand new 2018 242 Limited S E series and have a few questions for you old salts:

Are there any negatives to the thrust vector and lateral thruster modifications? Do these void the warranty? Do you lose any top end?

How do you pull up the engine hours? I tried following the manual by entering the float mode but my screen options did not match the manual.

Any recommendations for a boat that will be on a lift and used mostly in salt water?

Thanks in advance folks. OBTW I am a legacy jet boat owner - in what seems like a lifetime ago I owned an old school mid 1970s 19 foot Glastron Carlson with an Olds 455 and a Berkeley jet, the exact boat James Bond was driving in Live and Let Die, additionally I earnedthe sucking up the rope medal back before some of you were born so hopefully I can avoid this with my new boat.

Scoop

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My engine hours show on the LCD of the tach.

Andy NJ

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome aboard Scoop. You'll love that boat. Where in NJ are you boating? Quite a few guys on here NJ.

COtoFLsurf

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Scoop, I installed the thrust vectors and lateral thrusters on my 2015 242LS. Really like them both, no downside IMO, do not feel like I lost any top-end but it is rare we run WOT on the ocean anyway. I do not know about impact to warranty, but the installation does not require drilling any holes or add any significant loads/stresses, so it would be an oddball situation where the TV/LT would cause or exacerbate an issue.

Running in salt water:
- flush the engines every outing, and hose-down the jet nozzles and linkages (I use Salt Away)
- read on these forums how to run on one engine (simple hose clamp works great), having two engines is great when out on the ocean, but only if you are prepared to actually run on one engine in emergency
- keep your clean-out plugs in good condition because you WILL be cleaning out seagrass and debris (some here recommend pulling them out after every outing, putting back in when headed back out on water)
- get a can of WD40 Big Blast and spray EVERYTHING in the engine compartment, and repeat whenever you spray/clean out the bilge area
- sounds obvious, but be ultra-diligent cleaning the interior, mold and corrosion happen really quickly in our humid, salty environment, so need to stay in front of it

Enjoy !!!

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome aboard Scoop. You'll love that boat. Where in NJ are you boating? Quite a few guys on here NJ.
I am in Manahawkin across from Long Beach Island. I will take the Boat to Avalon for a few weeks each summer which was my routine with my previous boa
@Scoop, I installed the thrust vectors and lateral thrusters on my 2015 242LS. Really like them both, no downside IMO, do not feel like I lost any top-end but it is rare we run WOT on the ocean anyway. I do not know about impact to warranty, but the installation does not require drilling any holes or add any significant loads/stresses, so it would be an oddball situation where the TV/LT would cause or exacerbate an issue.

Running in salt water:
- flush the engines every outing, and hose-down the jet nozzles and linkages (I use Salt Away)
- read on these forums how to run on one engine (simple hose clamp works great), having two engines is great when out on the ocean, but only if you are prepared to actually run on one engine in emergency
- keep your clean-out plugs in good condition because you WILL be cleaning out seagrass and debris (some here recommend pulling them out after every outing, putting back in when headed back out on water)
- get a can of WD40 Big Blast and spray EVERYTHING in the engine compartment, and repeat whenever you spray/clean out the bilge area
- sounds obvious, but be ultra-diligent cleaning the interior, mold and corrosion happen really quickly in our humid, salty environment, so need to stay in front of it

Enjoy !!!

Thanks! My only question is should I just get the Thrust vectors or both the thrust and lateral vectors.

COtoFLsurf

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They do two different things. The TV improve low-speed handling, the LT improve reverse handling. I installed them at the same time and was really happy with both.