• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

time for a new tow vehicle!

nucleuscracker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay - need your thoughts/suggestions:

My 2008 Yukon Denali is on its final legs and so its time to start looking at a replacement.
My needs:

• GMC, Ford or Chevy
  • 2014 or newer
  • can be slightly used, under 15k miles
  • (sorry, live in Detroit area)
  • Able to pull our 2007 AR230 confidently.
  • seating for 7 or 8, 2nd row bench (no captains chairs)

Looked at the 2015 Yukon SLT yesterday. Great vehicle, great options but... first new run of this new style and a $@# ton of money for it.

annnnd go! Love to hear what you're driving and what you like!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am curious how many miles are on your Yukon Denali and what is breaking on it?

I don't think you are going to find a better replacement for the Yukon / Suburban / Tahoe line based on your needs. I also am surprised by the 2015 pricing!

nucleuscracker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
241,000 miles!! 90% highway.

The transmission is slipping and the heated steering when hasn't worked in ages, nor do the power folding mirrors, nor the "flash to pass" and more importantly, found out their repair on the air suspension didn't solve the problem. It's been great to drive and until recently, minimal issues.

I am curious how many miles are on your Yukon Denali and what is breaking on it?

I don't think you are going to find a better replacement for the Yukon / Suburban / Tahoe line based on your needs. I also am surprised by the 2015 pricing!

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We recently went looking for a similar config and just couldn't justify spending the 2015 $$$ so we ended up getting a 2010 and saving some money. Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade were our options and we found an escalade fairly well priced so we went with that.

I am not the biggest fan of suburban (or other suburban derivatives), just because of the length. We have tons of storage room in our boat, and the only time we would need storage room right now is when we are going boating. Otherwise groceries and such fit just fine with one of the seats down.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow 241K miles!

I have a 2007 Sierra Denali (NBS) with a little under 140K miles. The check engine light started coming on for the transmission but replacing the reported electrical components has made it worse. It may be the clutch housing that has a TSB causing the problem or I may need a replacement transmission ($2K low mileage used). I am waiting to hear from the transmission shop tomorrow. I was curious how our experience compared. Other than the transmission issue which at this point is just a matter of clearing codes I would not consider mine to be near the end of its useful life. It has never stranded us or had any issues with the 13K trailers I have towed. But I am considering an upgrade later this year.

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
I have a 2008 silverado, my next truck will be a new tundra crewmax.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are vehicles built in Detroit sold at a lower price in the area or do they just drop the destination charge?

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an Expedition EL Limited. I like the look and function of the vehicle, but it has not been reliable. I have 105,000 on it and have had my share of problems. If you go with the Expedition I would avoid one with all the bells and whistles such as power deployable running boards, automatic leveling suspension, etc. My next vehicle most likely be a 2015 Suburban LTZ/Denali XL/Escalade ESV, but I will wait for a couple of years and grab a used one when the pricing comes back to earth. The new pricing is ridiculous. I also have a new Durango, but I do not consider it a capable tow vehicle for any longer distance towing and it sounds like it is to small to meet your needs.....I do like the vehicle though.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, we have a large crew cab diesel pickup and there's nothing better built for towing in my opinion. We could seat 6 if we have to, 5 would be very doable and safe. That's just not going to cut it for your needs. I don't know what your current Denali has under the hood or if it struggles when loaded with people with their stuff and with the boat in tow. Have you considered a 3\4 ton Suburban? I would suggest going with the big v8 (6.2) if it struggles with the 5.3 if you stick with the GM family. I do agree with you that the new GM products are way over priced, but nice. If you go with Ford then you should have the option of the Ecoboost which would provide plenty of grunt. Hope this helps. Good luck with your search.

1rjclark

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I remember when vehicles, especially trucks, were not throw aways after you put a ton of miles on them. You could ride it till the wheels feel off and then put new ones on. Now a days rebuilding a motor and tranny on a newer vehicle is almost unheard of. I've got an 07 ram that I plan on giving to my youngest son ( he's 14) when I upgrade. But him and will rebuild the motor and tranny to our bullet proof specs.
I'm also in the market for a large passenger tow vehicle. Looked at the Nissan 3500 that seats 12 but I question its capability to transport 12 people, hall camping gear, and tow a boat full of gear. ( I have 4 little sisters and 1 little bro between 7 and 17 that I care for) but seriously doubt it has the balls to handle that type if work load. I'd go with the Denali but it doesn't seat enough.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
does that mean you drive it like you stole it? lol

I believe that made in Huntsville means that it is rocket powered!

Gthunter5

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I test drove a two brands. One had a 5.3 and the other a 5.7

The 5.7 didn't hesitate when you mashed the gas

It sure doesn't sip gas though

The engine plant is in huntsville. No jokes there.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The GM 5.3 is designed to meet mpg requirements. I would not want a 5.3. The new GM 6.2 is pretty amazing!

nucleuscracker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The GM 5.3 is designed to meet mpg requirements. I would not want a 5.3. The new GM 6.2 is pretty amazing!

Our Denali currently has the 6.2L and man does it haul. I'm afraid the 5.3 would be a total let down after having the 6.2. The search goes on but with work and some weekend events, it has to wait till next week. Thanks for the responses all!

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2015 Tahoe and it tows my boat great. It actually has the upgraded towing package with upgraded rear axle and auto leveling kit. Every time I drop my boat on it you can hear it leveling. So far I have just shy of 3000 miles on it and I absolutely love it. I basically got every upgrade you can get plus the 22 inch wheels. Yes it was expensive! The most I have ever paid for a vehicle, but I'm worth it. HA!!!! :winkingthumbsup"

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an Expedition EL Limited. I like the look and function of the vehicle, but it has not been reliable. I have 105,000 on it and have had my share of problems. If you go with the Expedition I would avoid one with all the bells and whistles such as power deployable running boards, automatic leveling suspension, etc. My next vehicle most likely be a 2015 Suburban LTZ/Denali XL/Escalade ESV, but I will wait for a couple of years and grab a used one when the pricing comes back to earth. The new pricing is ridiculous. I also have a new Durango, but I do not consider it a capable tow vehicle for any longer distance towing and it sounds like it is to small to meet your needs.....I do like the vehicle though.

Part of my wonderful weekend last week was dealing with my son in law's Expedition. It has had problems for a long while now. It just won't start at times.
It sat in the marina parking lot for the weekend while we and other friends took turns launching and retrieving his boat for him.

When it came time to leave he called for a flatbed. Only had one- 200 mile tow left with AAA and he had the guy haul it as far as possible and then we were going to call AAA and put it on my card to go the rest of the way.

We were about a half hour out from the planned drop point and we get a call from the TT driver who had left earlier...."Hey Buddy, just for yucks I tried to start it when I was unloading it and it started right up!"
I thought he should just let it idle (diesel) 'til we got there, but he shut it down and hid the keys. It started when we got there, so that was a surprise.

Now he is waiting for the new ones - 2015 - to come out. o_O

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would buy another Expedition in a heart beat if the '01 model I have today died, may be a 4WD next time around (for trips to the snow). Holds 8 (tightly) and tows without issue. The Navigator is the more luxurious version but they usually have captains chairs in the middle row which cuts the seating down to 7. Another SUV I'd consider is the Nissan Armada. My relatives had one and a matching Titan (I think as well). Nissan issued a recall on the Titan to put bigger brakes on it. Both are very capable tow vehicle and the Armada just seems to have more creature comforts than my Expedition.