• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tips for test drive?

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Everything you've mentioned plus:
"Our test drive they went WOT and straight into full reverse. That was cool. Stops very fast"
Ummmmm.... skip this step. Not good for the boat, and very dangerous. I am actually shocked a dealer would do this.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Agreed, however you can just ask to pay cost on the cover AFTER you negotiate just on the boat. Don't let them get all "we'll throw in the cover even though we're 1k higher than the next guy."

Edit: don't be afraid to negotiate the 10 hour service if they're not willing to budge on price. Ask them to get creative and to think about it.
Agreed! The 10 hour service is a bit of a sticker shock.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Ummmmm.... skip this step. Not good for the boat, and very dangerous. I am actually shocked a dealer would do this.
I was surprised too but his point was impressive. Actually, does not hurt the boat at all; water against water.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Doesn't hurt the boat even a little bit. Not the safest thing to do, but not overly dangerous either. As long as everyone knows it's coming it's no big deal.

That "full stop" maneuver is actually a selling point IMO. In an emergency stop I'll put my 190 against any others for stopping power. Don't have to dodge the problem, or drive around it, just STOP.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Doesn't hurt the boat even a little bit. Not the safest thing to do, but not overly dangerous either. As long as everyone knows it's coming it's no big deal.

That "full stop" maneuver is actually a selling point IMO. In an emergency stop I'll put my 190 against any others for stopping power. Don't have to dodge the problem, or drive around it, just STOP.
I stand corrected. I thought I read that in the manual, had to look it back up. Big warning on the safety consideration of reverse stopping, but no mention of damage to the boat.

I am still very surprised that a dealer would do that in a demo, seems like a potential lawsuit in the making, demonstrating something that is explicitly warned against in the manual. Eeeek.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I stand corrected. I thought I read that in the manual, had to look it back up. Big warning on the safety consideration of reverse stopping, but no mention of damage to the boat.

I am still very surprised that a dealer would do that in a demo, seems like a potential lawsuit in the making, demonstrating something that is explicitly warned against in the manual. Eeeek.
Yea, I can't imagine doing it on a demo for a whole slew of reasons.

I've done it a time or two to test the stopping power of the boat. Also in an attempt to get the bow under water and do a "sub move", but the new hull designs won't let that happen. Google "Sub Move Yamaha", and have a good chuckle

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

I was super impressed with the fact there are no gears and therefore no damage. Of course we knew he was doing it and it wasn't like it was hard to hold on. It's one of those "things" that it's good to know you can should the situation arises. Keep in mind he did this on a single engine 19'. Suspect it would be more intense with twins. I have not tried it on this boat but would not hesitate if I had too. LOL, no lawsuit pending :winkingthumbsup"

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
I was super impressed with the fact there are no gears and therefore no damage. Of course we knew he was doing it and it wasn't like it was hard to hold on. It's one of those "things" that it's good to know you can should the situation arises. Keep in mind he did this on a single engine 19'. Suspect it would be more intense with twins. I have not tried it on this boat but would not hesitate if I had too. LOL, no lawsuit pending :winkingthumbsup"
Oh I wouldn't worry about you, being an informed person on forums and such. It is all the other "My coffee was too hot" knuckleheads out there! Bahaha