• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Tire Date codes......I'm confused.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I'm getting close to replacing the tires on my truck. The BFG KO2's that were on it when I bought it are about shot. They have 67,500 miles on them and are loud, slippery, and hard as a rock. They're also somewhat cracked/dry rotted on the sides. Time for some new ones.

As I was reading the sidewall to get the size and load ratings on them. I noticed the date code was 7111. Normally the first two digits are the week, and the second two digits are the year. I can believe a 2011 year of manufacture. I've had them for 3, so 6 years is a bit old to install when new, but not absurd. The 71st week of the year doesn't exist, and that number doesn't make any sense.

Anyone else seen this before? Any idea what's going on here?

Most likely going to get a set of Continental Terrain Contact A/T's to replace these KO2's. I've never needed the "ruggedness" or the offroad ability of the KO2's, and honestly they suck at just about everything else. Wet traction is absurdly poor, they're loud as dammit, and they weigh a ton (53 lbs a piece is excessive IMO). Might be good for some, they're clearly not for me. Only thing I really like about them is the appearance; they do look pretty cool!

My wife's jeep got the contis on it for skiing. They are great in all conditions. The tire noise was noticeable compared to no traction tires that came with if from the factory. The siping helps a lot in the snow.

Is there another four digit number? I had a set of KO2s that had 7111 and another number on it that was the date code. Never did figure out what the 7111 was for.

Do you have your tires black side wall out? If so, check the other side. Sometimes the full DOT code is only on one side and it's usually the RWL side.

Do you have your tires black side wall out? If so, check the other side. Sometimes the full DOT code is only on one side and it's usually the RWL side.
I do have blackwall out. Hadn't considered checking the other side of the tire.

Of course it's raining today, so I might be a day or two before I climb under there to check.

Is there another four digit number? I had a set of KO2s that had 7111 and another number on it that was the date code. Never did figure out what the 7111 was for.
Very interesting. It's EXACTLY where the date code is "normally" located. Hence the confusion.

@F.M. Nailed it. Date code was on the "inside" of the tire. No longer any white walls in there due to age/wear, but the date code was present. Same 7111 code as @wTheOnew had though.

Outside of tire (right rear). Good grief they look so dry rotted in this picture.
IMG_20200902_120130.jpg

Inside of tire (left front). Even more dry rot here. Seems odd for a tire that is just under 4 years old. Might explain why they are hard at a brick-bat, and SUCK in the rain though.

IMG_20200902_120218.jpg

Almost all tires are crap now.
At my dealership what used to be quality long lasting tires are shit.
I used to be a strictly Michelin buyer even though they were expensive. They would outlast anything. Now in the last few years they wear out in half the mileage rating. We sell a lot of General Tires now they are cheap and seem to last.

The wifes 4runner has Nitto terragraplers and are wearing decent but since she will never see off road it will get a HT tire when it needs tires.
My tundra has Dunlop and after only 7000 miles they are wearing like shit. And i have checked my alignment on both vehicles every 6 months

There is always the BFG AT KO2 DT which has a different/harder tread compound and actually comes with a 50k mile warranty. Only problem is they are in limited sizes (265-285 section widths only).

These BFGs have worn great. I still have some miles left on them and I've already put 67k on them.

Off-road traction is phenomenal. Rain traction sucks bad. They are extremely loud, hard as a rock and heavy as dammit. They're 53lbs a piece. The continentals I'm going to put on are 42lbs a piece. 11lbs difference, or 44lbs or rotating weight dropped off. That HAS to help the life of the shocks, ball joints, tie rods, etc, as well as help fuel economy and acceleration.

I've always had great success with Continentals. Ran the Extreme Contact DWS in my RX8, and A4. The cross contacts in my wife's Traverse and the conti-pros on my Focus. They wear well and have consistent traction over the life of the tire. Hoping the Terrain Contact ATs serve me well.

Can’t help with time stamp, but have loved both the Nitto Terra grappler G2s and Ridge Grapplers. Zero issue in Florida rain and oil slick roads.

Back