• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lower end corrosion

Ryan53742

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yamaha 2012 242 Limited s lower end corrosion. How can I clean them up and prevent it from happening in the future? Live in Seattle Area and only use it in fresh water (moored on a dock during summer months). Owned the boat for a little over a year and they were clean when I purchased it. Mainly noticing it now since I had to remove the impeller to dislodge a stick that got stuck in there.
Thanks!IMG_1528.jpegIMG_1527.jpeg

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do your anodes look? Have you considered adding Magnesium anodes on each pump, opposite of them OEM Anodes.

I will let others chime in on how to address the existing corrosion as I do not have direct experience.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It looks like you may have a stray current around your dock too. Do you keep on a charger while on the water? you probably need a galvanic isolator.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It’s also a good idea to use a small stainless steel wire brush and clean up your existing anodes. Switching to Magnesium anodes is supposed to(?) be better for fresh water .

Check to make sure everything is bonded properly as well.

As far as clean up, try using a 1:1 mixture of vinegar and water, spray it on and use a nylon brush not wire to remove that stuff. Rinse frequently and thoroughly while using it.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
H9 spray cleaner works good as a cleaner/brush.............some of that looks like sea growth....Alge ect. Leaving them in fresh or salt water will always cause problems like you see.

Ryan53742

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How do your anodes look? Have you considered adding Magnesium anodes on each pump, opposite of them OEM Anodes.

I will let others chime in on how to address the existing corrosion as I do not have direct experience.
the Anodes are covered with the white corrosion as well. Do you know if they need to be replaced or can they be cleaned? I’ll look into adding the Magnesium anodes on opposite side. Thank you

Ryan53742

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It looks like you may have a stray current around your dock too. Do you keep on a charger while on the water? you probably need a galvanic isolator.
interesting. No the dock that I am tied too has no power to it and no charger onboard

Ryan53742

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It’s also a good idea to use a small stainless steel wire brush and clean up your existing anodes. Switching to Magnesium anodes is supposed to(?) be better for fresh water .

Check to make sure everything is bonded properly as well.

As far as clean up, try using a 1:1 mixture of vinegar and water, spray it on and use a nylon brush not wire to remove that stuff. Rinse frequently and thoroughly while using it.
Ok I’ll try cleaning the anodes up with a wire brush.
What do you mean by make sure everything is bonded properly?
Thanks for the vinegar cleaning tip. I tried using a wire brush for a small section of the lower end and it seemed to scratch it up quite a bit. Will use nylon going forward.