• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

To fog or not to fog cylinders for 5 month winter storage?

MGrande305

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Do i need to fog my cylinders on my brp rotax 250s in my chapparral vortex 243vrx?, for a 5 month winter storage? I hear different takes on this. Thanks! Btw it will be stored outside on a trailer and shrink wrapped

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Do i need to fog my cylinders on my brp rotax 250s in my chapparral vortex 243vrx?, for a 5 month winter storage? I hear different takes on this. Thanks! Btw it will be stored outside on a trailer and shrink wrapped
I dont fog.. Heard too many bad stories about people running into issues the following season after fogging.

I pull the spark plugs, add a drop or two of oil into each cylinder, then turn the engine over with no plugs to lubricate. No issues here

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I dont fog.. Heard too many bad stories about people running into issues the following season after fogging.

I pull the spark plugs, add a drop or two of oil into each cylinder, then turn the engine over with no plugs to lubricate. No issues here
how do you stop the fuel from spraying with the plugs out? i remember seeing somewhere there is a process to de-activate the fuel pump while cranking the engine, but i can't remember how or where i saw it.

jetboatjay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hey @MGrande305, I fog! Not sure where you're storing your vessel, (outside I know, but which state?) but the process is simple and the risk mitigation is greater than worrying about it for 5 months. Dropping it in the water in April/May and running it for a couple minutes at the dock is all it takes to get the engine ready.

Your call, just wanted to let you know some of us do it religiously.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
how do you stop the fuel from spraying with the plugs out? i remember seeing somewhere there is a process to de-activate the fuel pump while cranking the engine, but i can't remember how or where i saw it.
I just pull the fuel pump fuse

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
If its going to sit for more than a couple months I'd fog - so easy to do it, so why not. The only issues that arise from fogging is sometimes the fogging oil can mess up the sensors in the intake. I stopped spraying fogging oil in the intake few years ago for this reason. Now I just take the plugs out and spray the fogging oil in each cylinder. Then I pull the kill switch off and turn over the engine a few times, then put the plugs back. I always change the plugs the next spring after the first tank is burned up. Its not a huge deal either way though, absorb the advice from both sides and do what you think would be best.