• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

To Shelter in a covered dock Wet-Slip or on a trailer outside???

Mike Rock

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Well, here in TX the water levels does not look very good. The lake (Lavon)we normally boat at is about 12 ft down and there is only one ramp open on the lake, and thats a make shift ramp by adding about 20ft of concrete. However they only did it to one ramp access of a three ramp launch area, If that make sense. Last weekend I went to check on the boat and the line to launch was about 50 boats deep. Needled to say it would take a while to launch and load the boats once the weather really starts getting better. The other lakes around here are anywhere from 7 to 10 ft low so we are all in the same boat as for water levels.
Right now I keep it at a outside dry storage area that runs about 700 a year, and it gets me into the lake/park with one vehicle load of family and friends for free. Travel to the ramp/water is about 200 yds.
A covered Wet-slip will run about 200 a month for a 24X11 slip. plus 80 for a 4000# Hoist for a total of 280 per month with a 12 month contact and have to still paid for dry storage 700. They will not do it for anytime less than 12 months. Power, water and the normal dock side amenity are available. All family and friends would have free access just drop the name at the gate. The difference between the two, cost wise is the total of the slip and hoist $3,360.

I know about all the benefits to a cover storage area, my question is; Is a covered wet-slip worth $3,360 to keep it there?

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks

I wet slip my boat in my dock all summer, and there's nothing like it for ease of use. I let her sit in the water, so if you are looking to shave some cost the hoist isn't 100% necessary. That being said, I'd much rather have my boat on a lift vs in the water.

The real challenge will be the drought itself, how much lower will the water drop and will that reduce your boating in July and August? If so, is it worth spending the additional $3300+ on a gamble the drought will end and the water levels will increase?

My brother keeps his Jon boat in a wet slip on Lavon... Which I think is a huge waste, but it depends on what you really want, and if you are willing to pay for it.

I am in Ohio and at a small lake with very few covered lifts. I pay 1750 a year and am allowed to keep it there all year if I choose. I know the previous owner of my boat paid nearly 3500 for a valet service on the river here in Ohio. Seems like a solid price if you are able to get the use out of it as cane said. I have been on the boat the past two weekends when the weather was not that great. Had I had to pack up the family and trailer the boat to the lake we probably would not have went. It was nice being able to go out for a couple hours and just toss her back on the lift, clean up and head home in time to put the kids to bed. For me the cost is worth it for the convenience.

Being able to just jump on the boat and go rather than wait in a 50 car line is totally worth it if you are going to use the boat. If you are only going to get out there once per month then just plan on getting up there early. If you plan to get up there every weekend and sneak out a few weekdays/weeknights per month then wet slip it. $80/mo for a lift isn't bad but it adds up. Maybe try the rental lift the first year and if you like it buy your own. Used ones can usually be had for $0.50/lb so a 6,000lbs lift should be about $3k.

I agree with all of your comments, Our boat time is about 50+ hours a year so far. The towing isn't bad like I said it about 200 yards from where I store it to the waters edge. However the waiting for 50 other people to launch or recover maybe a bit more than I want to deal with. As for the water level, While it doesn't look like it will recover quickly or anytime soon I have seen it go from 17 ft down to filling the parking lot in less than a month about 5 years ago. But, that was than and this is now, so I don't know. If the lake fills up the slip would be nice but not a thing I have to have. I don't mind unloading and loading, and all the ramps on the lake will be open so the time factor will drop to its normal about 5 mins. So I am thinking that the water will go down but not so much that the lake is unusable. Like I said I have been on the lake when it was over 17 ft down and the main problem was launching. Once on the lake you should stay to the middle or at the dam and everything was fine.

I guess I will go talk with the people at the marina and see what they think about the lake's current level and where they think it going.

Thanks Again, for all the help and comments

I could always go to Ray Robert's and join Mel with his new boat but its a 1.5 hour drive each way and will drop our boating time down a lot. Mel if you see this good luck with the new 240, you're going to love it.

Mike

.....I could always go to Ray Robert's and join Mel with his new boat but its a 1.5 hour drive each way and will drop our boating time down a lot. Mel if you see this good luck with the new 240, you're going to love it. Mike

I'd love to have a 1.5 hour drive each way.

It currently takes a minimum of 4 hours to get to the river from my house and that's leaving at 5 am with zero traffic and a maximum 15 min. restroom stop halfway.

In reality it takes 4 1/2 to 5 hours. If I leave in the late afternoon: 5-5 1/2 and if it's Friday I can look forward to anything between 5 1/2 to 8 hours. We travel the same road that L.A. gamblers take to Vegas for half the distance, so Fridays are the worst!

When gas wasn't as expensive we'd go out every two weeks. Now, if there are no conflicts, once a month from May to Sept. is what we shoot for.

Mike, I used to boat almost all the time at Lavon as it's closest to where I live. The last couple of year Lavon has been really bad for lake level, ramp access. We usually went in at East Fork. I've moved my boat to a slip at Joe Pool - cost is about what you've listed, but its got a restaurant at the marina and the lake has been in great shape water level wise. Takes about 20 minutes longer to drive to but much less stress now getting in and out etc.

I didn't think about it, but the covered storage may be worth it just for protection from those North Texas hail storms...

Back