• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tongue Weight 210 FSH

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm wondering if I'm missing something. The boat and trailer hooked up to my Tacoma seemed to load the truck down substantially. So I used my scale to check the tongue weight. It was greater than 306 lbs. It max'd my scale out.
According to Shoreland'r the tongue weight should be 5% to 7% of the gross weight of trailer and boat.
The trailer has a GVWR of 5920 lbs, and carrying capacity of 4600 lbs, thus the trailer weight must be 1320 lbs
(5920-4600=1320)?
The Yamaha boat specs says the 210 FSH Sport weights 3003.
GVWR = 1320 + 3003 = 4323 lbs
5% = 216 lbs
7% = 302 lbs
I do have 35 gallons of fuel and I don't have the T-top installed.
Has anyone else checked this?
I'd like to get it to the 6% area. Which means moving the axles forward 4-5".
Thoughts?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I always went with 10 percent. I tow a lot of trailers, do it by eye then tow it and see how it pulls. that is the test.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hellwig makes helper springs for about $100 they work great i put them on a Tacoma and a Tundra.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I bought a new Tacoma a couple years ago and they had some type of service bulletin in regards to the soft rear springs and would add an extra leaf at no charge. They run them light becuse of the weight of the truck and it has a harsher ride. So they say.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just posted in another thread that I believe the tounge weight recommendation on boat trailers has to do with the pivot point being so far back compared to other loaded trailers. I would not recommend moving the axles as a result. Myself and others here have had luck with moving the bow roller post a few inches back. Super easy and proven effective.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Agree with shooting for the 10% range.
Not sure of the Tacoma options but consider looking to air bags. I had them on my old Dakota (leaf springs) and loved them.
The new RAM with coils, I added the bags that go inside the coils. Very simple install and very helpful as well.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The Hellwigs don't effect the ride till you have weight in the truck. When it is not loaded they just sit there. there are other brands also. they just go under the U Bolts.
also just moving a few things in the boat will change weight shift.
Did u put a portable potty in that FSH? Just worried about size.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If its a new or fairly new Tacoma be sure and check with the dealer. As I stated there is a dealer service bulletin and they offered a free upgrade.

Rainmakr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the firestone air bag kit on my Tacoma and it works great. I’ve used to truck to tow a smaller travel trailer and now my SX190.

Any pictures of the truck with boat?
How does the Tacoma tow and retrieve the boat at the ramp?