• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Too few hours?

Aqualissa

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Newbie question -
Can a boat have too few hours? I am looking at a used 240 or 210 and found a 2007 with 22, yes, 22 hours on it. While some may be excited about low hours I kind of think maybe sitting there isn't good for an engine. Or should I already be in the car to look at this boat? Any opinions?

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
that is some low hours, but it wouldn't scare me away. Hopefully it was ran for those couple of hours each year instead of ran for 2007-2008 and ben sitting since

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A few thoughts... is this on the YDS? Or is it an hour meter? The meter could be wrong.

That said, low hours may just be a sign that they used the boat to go to the sand bar and chill.

I dont think I would really worry about it in general though.

Aqualissa

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
not sure if it's hour meter or YDS- I'll find out

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
22 hours on a 11 year old boat? Did they also pump out all of the fuel every few years lol? Stabil is good for 2 years in a tank. You wouldn't even burn a tank of fuel a year with that few of hours. Even if all you did was hop to a sand bar for 11 years I would still think you would accumulate more than 22 hours. That's crazy low hours! I think that hour meter is bad and would verify with YDS before going further.

Last edited:

Aqualissa

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
I now have my contacts in- it is 33 hours, not 22! But still, that's wicked low...

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's crazy low hours!
Seriously. I've put 32 hours on my boat this season alone, and probably still another 20-30 more to go before I put it away.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
33 hours is basically nothing on a boat that old. It's hardly even broken in.

If it's the YDS reading, then it's likely accurate and fine. With that much age and sitting around though, you'll need to be through with other things besides the engines...fuel lines may need repair/replacement, steering and throttle cables will likely be tight, and the trailer will need a through going-through of brakes and new tires....just to name a few things off the top of my head.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boat is an 08... I bought it in 2015 with less than 40 hours on it. It was in an indoor storage rack since 2009 and hadnt been touched in years. At the end of last year I was at 190 hours and never missed a beat. As a matter of fact up until my recent ecu fiasco where I parked my boat under niagra falls while getting fuel I have never turned a wrench on my boat. So low hours alone isn't a deal killer. . Its been great for us. If more what the boat has been doing when not being used. Mine was stored indoors. If it had been left in the rain for those years then maybe not.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Make sure those are yds hours and that BOTH engines are relatively the same. It's possible one engine or ECU was changed.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
^^What @Gym said.^^ The ECU change will reset the hours back to zero. Try to get the whole history before jumping.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^^What @Gym said.^^ The ECU change will reset the hours back to zero. Try to get the whole history before jumping.
Well dang I wonder if that would work on the newer boats as well $2k to reset the hours seems like a steal lol

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well dang I wonder if that would work on the newer boats as well $2k to reset the hours seems like a steal lol
You're not a Ferrari dealer by chance are you? Haha.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it's clean, looks like 22 hours, and a test run pegs max RPMs, ~10k on a HO and ~8k on a non-HO, BUY IT! You have healthy motors. No need for a compression check.

The ECU uses a 16-bit number for hours... meaning the ECU won't record more than 655.35 total hours. However the RPM log will show hours at 2k intervals. (See attachment of a 1268 hr motor.)

How about some pics?

-Greg

Attachments

Last edited:

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Newbie question -
Can a boat have too few hours? I am looking at a used 240 or 210 and found a 2007 with 22, yes, 22 hours on it. While some may be excited about low hours I kind of think maybe sitting there isn't good for an engine. Or should I already be in the car to look at this boat? Any opinions?
Seriously?? I've had my boat for 2 months and have 28 hours on it. And we chill out in coves like crazy. Geez!!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Seriously?? I've had my boat for 2 months and have 28 hours on it. And we chill out in coves like crazy. Geez!!
Sounds like you have more hours on your stereo than on your motors @W3bexec. :)

Aqualissa

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Update- Since it seemed like it was worth at least pursuing this to a bit further, I texted the dealer and had the following exchange
" Can you tell me what kind of condition the interior is in?"
" Fair- there's some sun damage to the cushions..."
" That sounds odd to me - how could you get sun damage on a boat that's rack stored and only has 30 hours on it?"
" It was left out uncovered for a few seasons"
It seems like I've had conversations like this for weeks- a boat looks good, but then the real truth comes out...
kind of depressing-
Also I have no idea what the real price of a boat should be vs what they are asking- I've looked at the NADA but don't know how much people stick to that...

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, the old saying, "If it looks to good to be true..." definitely applies in preowned boat buying. NADA is good start but a lot sellers take liberties when judging the condition of their boat...very subjective. Fortunately, you have stumbled across this forum which may be one of your best resources to sort things out. Also, this is probably not the best time of the year to shop preowned boats IMO. The best boats will start to surface once the season is over and folks are putting their boats up for sale during the fall and winter looking to upgrade in the spring.

Don't get depressed. I know the process is frustrating but keep in mind, you're continually learning more about the market. Think about how much more you know now about prices than you did when you started. This is where the a lot of folks throw in the towel a buy new, but don't give in to that yet. Given the huge savings associated with buying a clean preowned boat, I'd keep looking through next spring. Hang in there, you'll find your boat...maybe even right here on this site :) Good Luck!

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
" It was left out uncovered for a few seasons"
This is entirely plausible. Every week I drive by two consignment lots here in Houston and wonder why those boats are sitting out in the hot sun and rain all day, every day without a cover. We're talking nice boats... expensive wakeboard boats.

-Greg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
07-09 boats have a history of problems with the silver diamond pattern accent leather getting sunburned, even my boat that is covered 90% of the time,

I wouldn't let that be the deal breaker but it would have me being a lot more cautious,

Top Bottom