• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Top Speed Problems

Scarab165Jorge

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello to everyone:

I just purchased from a friend a 195 HO Impulse 2014, 80hrs on it, it’s in good shape, wasn’t used for over a year, Went in service and scanning, got on the water and everything was great, suddenly one day I started having cavitation issues, so I thought it must be the wearing, I bought from Inland Jetsports new fiber carbon Wearing and a brand new stainless steel impeller, cavitation issues are gone, got power again but I can only get to 30mph at 8100 rpm, I have both my scarab boats down here in Acapulco, there is a BRP dealer that has a scanner but this guys don’t really know what they are doing, my 2 boats are the only 2 Scarab Boats down here, everyone uses other brands, I really love this boat but I can’t get the top speed I used to get before the cavitation issue and I thing the engine is now a little bit noiser, can someone help me please?

thank you
George

Last edited:

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Is it possible the impeller is a different pitch? Or the wear ring isn’t the right diameter for the new impeller? I read somewhere that the single engine Scarabs have a different pitch impeller than the duals. If you’re getting the rpm’s without cavitation, and going slower, it pretty much has to be one of these problems.

Scarab165Jorge

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is it possible the impeller is a different pitch? Or the wear ring isn’t the right diameter for the new impeller? I read somewhere that the single engine Scarabs have a different pitch impeller than the duals. If you’re getting the rpm’s without cavitation, and going slower, it pretty much has to be one of these problems.
Thank you so much, I will look in to it

hvluve

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Did you solve the problems with your boat?

Fabs195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yes, this is very good info. I took my 2014 195 HO out tonight and everything seems to be working fine but with 4 adults and 2 kids aboard it seemed to be a bit slower than usual. Topped out at 35-37mph when normally I wouldn’t have an issue hitting 40-42mph. I’m not very familiar with the internal workings but I am definitely mechanically inclined as I work on both of my vehicles. Any ideas? What does an impeller and wearing usually cost to repair. Keep in mind I’m in Canada 🇨🇦 Only fresh water usage.
Thanks everyone!!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
If the motor is operating properly and you're hitting your top RPMs, then I'd inspect your impeller and ring first. Look inside with a flashlight and see if there's any damage to the ring or impeller. Clearances are supposed to be extremely tight to get the maximum power.

I'm in Canada too (Ottawa). A replacement wear ring for a 150HP version was like $100CAD plus shipping. I don't remember the impeller cost.. but I believe it was about $400 CAD. But it's way more likely the ring is worn than the impeller. That's the whole point of their plastic rings.

Fabs195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Got it!! ok so next question would be where exactly would I be looking in order to check the wear ring haha. I feel like it’d be under the the boat at the rear by the jet??

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yes. lol

So look at it from the intake grate under the boat. Shine a good, broad light into the impeller/ring. Take some good quality photos of the perimeter of it. And share them here if you want opinions. You can also put your boat into forward (which lifts the reverse bucket out of the way), and then shine the light from the jet nozzle side too to look inside.

High quality photos are key. They need to be clear.

Something to keep in mind too, air temperature DOES make a difference. Just so you know. My boat gains about 4mph in the spring and fall vs. summer time. lol

Fabs195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Your a good man!! I will do exactly that and post here tomorrow sometime.
Thanks Luc!!