• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Top speed SX190 1.8l N/A - Mods to consider - Is the juice worth the squeeze?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been playing with various mods for awhile...:rolleyes: My main goal being the best engine efficiency. I really couldn't care less about the top speed but came to appreciate it as one of few parameters that can be followed with relative ease when setting these engines / pumps up, RPM being the most useful. All my mods are "bolt-on", or "canned" type, considered completely reliable.

So, today I saw my best speed yet.

Running at 49.3mph (gps, bottom right corner of the display), a bit unexpected, but made me happy :D. It was a nice day, air temps in the 60s, water - no idea, but it's cold, almost no wind. And there was that great light chop on the water surface. I was running solid 47-48mph for a while without paying too much attention to my speed until I noticed going 49+. I stopped, turned around, and the boat did it again, also checked with another speed app, so - not a fluke for sure. But the conditions were about as perfect as it gets for any speed run.
upload_2016-2-21_22-23-32.png

I'm listing all the mods involved below, as it was for that run today. This is not the exact setup that I will keep, but pretty close. Mainly because I favor a slightly different setup with a bit better hookup.

Of note, this "best speed" may not seem like a whole lot more as compared to stock boat of about 43mph. Which is, and isn't, true. I can tell you, I doubt anyone would be confused driving this boat vs my stocker setup before. The boat really wakes up with these mods.

Quick run down of the mods (top speed 49.3mph, max RPM 8150 for this run):

Ribbon delete/filter
Stage 2 V-tech ECU reflash
OEM impeller repitched to 12.5/15
Lucky 13 cone with 3 spacers (10mm)
OEM venturi nozzle bored to 89.5mm

Total cost of the above would be about $1,300-1,400 for parts, plus your labor.
As you can imagine, there are many mods (not listed), which did not work in my tests. Just to mention a couple of things here:
1. Ride plate - tested various angles +/- washers, etc. - the stock configuration is awkward but works best. I would not touch it.
2. Aftermarket impellers - I have gone full circle... My best results overall are with the OEM impeller. I like the stock pitch the best, too, which runs at about 7700-7800 RPM max. Stock pitch is 13.5/15.9.
3. Wear ring - stock or the one with a replaceable plastic insert - no difference in performance.
And there is more...

My next goal is to maximize hole shot efficiency while keeping the top end above 45mph. I'm pretty close to getting almost now cavitation at all going WOT from a full stop!

I don't know how you guys with twins do it... I would have gone mad dialing-in twin pumps :wacky:. That said, I can imagine the above modifications applied to my fave Yamaha, the 212X, would make it fly. For now, I'm actually glad I ended up, by chance, with my 190 - I have learned a ton here!

--

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great write @swatski I have been following from the beginning on this its great to see it has worked out and you are happy with it. I agree I think this could do wonders on 212ss or 212x I think they may have the most up side with these mods as both are pretty fast stock. I really think you could possibly push very close to 60 mph in a 212ss with that set up.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Light chop and cool weather most likely responsible for increase.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Light chop and cool weather most likely responsible for increase.
@scokill You got that right - weather conditions are huge for top speed!
But, it will take some very very cool chop indeed to get a stock 190 boat going 49+mph ;).

But seriously - I hope I didn't confuse anyone. It is difficult to discern the exact contributions of the mods I tried, but i do my best to test individual components under similar conditions. I lumped it all together here, but when I get some time I do plan on cleaning up the mod threads and splicing some links in here. Thank you everyone.

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
What is the general consensus of the ribbon delete you think? I'm sure it's just a couple HP but also the cheapest, right?
If you put in a "bigger" impeller, but then bored out the nozzle, you counteracted each other. Then, when you get a longer(?) nose cone, you just undid the boring of the nozzle.
I do wonder if this puts you in the 200+ hp for the engine though. Even so, 200 hp going just a touch under 50mph is stuff heard of only with outboards!
Awesome job man!

I do wish I had the 1.8's as I feel they are much more solid engine, but I think this boat will do fine for awhile... even though I'm jealous...

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is the general consensus of the ribbon delete you think? I'm sure it's just a couple HP but also the cheapest, right?
If you put in a "bigger" impeller, but then bored out the nozzle, you counteracted each other. Then, when you get a longer(?) nose cone, you just undid the boring of the nozzle.
I do wonder if this puts you in the 200+ hp for the engine though. Even so, 200 hp going just a touch under 50mph is stuff heard of only with outboards!
Awesome job man!
I do wish I had the 1.8's as I feel they are much more solid engine, but I think this boat will do fine for awhile... even though I'm jealous...
Regarding ribbon delete, it is a no-brainer in the 1.8l N/A engine, the cheapest 200-300RPM gain for that engine, and a nice gain in performance. Again, different from the MR1-HOs, which appear to be so well vented from the factory. Re: Filter - OEM maybe a bit restrictive, too, but I only see 50RPM difference with the OEM filter on vs off.

The more I think about it, I feel Yamaha's departure from the MR1 platform has perhaps more to do with cost cutting than emissions... (I know I'm probably completely wrong, LOL, but...), the 160hp MR1-HO are just a technological marvel. The 1.8 N/A are super-high compression and all, but they really do not match the MR1-HO level of performance, leaving lots of room for improvement. Takes A LOT of $$$ to bring the internal components of a 1.8l N/A to the level of MR1-HO built, and not many have done that, just few VXRs maybe. You really are talking the SVHO trim at that point!
(I personally need the range, I find myself boating in strange places sometimes...). No supercharger for me.

Re: pump/impeller/cone... what can I say... I had to stop using logic, and I'm just glad I'm not dealing with a twin at this point. LOL.
Re: nozzle, just like a race car using differential gear ratio and tire diameter to attain desired RPM, I approached the exit nozzle diameter and impeller pitch the same way. The peak torque "feels" to be around 7700-7800RPM and after that things get less linear and more wacky o_O.
But it is a fun hobby, that's for sure!

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So what you're saying is that we need to race to see if twin engines really do give a better hole shot?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
You coming to shelbyville?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You coming to shelbyville?
I'm working on it - would LOVE to go. But we will also try to go to Table Rock, and definitely plan on the Bimini trip in June. So..., if I'm still married, will push for it. Sounds really awesome.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So what you're saying is that we need to race to see if twin engines really do give a better hole shot?
Uhhh, no. I have read your posts and I think you got it right - the stock pump maxes out in terms of the efficiency with 200hp. You can probably extend it a bit with L13 and boring the venturi out, but there is a major threshold there. With SVHO they went up to a bigger size. Makes sense.

I'm just one of these people who have to try things themselves to believe. At least I know (NOW) that I am getting the most out of my 1.8l N/A, short of a really major internal overhaul. And that makes me happy :D.
Until, of course, we come up with new ideas to test.

Last edited:

override

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Hello! New to the forum but not new to jet powered crafts, done a fair bit of jetskis in the past but all 2 stroke stuff. I test drove an 2012 AR190 today, guy is wanting $21k for the boat and all the accessories to boot. I've been searching all over for performance mods specific to these boats and this seems to be the best written thread I have come across. Can we resurrect it and get any more updates?

Upon my sea trial (heavy wind and a good amount of chop) I honestly was disappointed in the performance of the AR190. Holeshot was meh, top speed was holding in the 38 mph range but would see 43 when the wind let up a bit, that was full gear and two adults. I want to pull the trigger on this boat but performance is bothering me! I'm not looking for speed so much as hole shot and just the ability to get to top speed and hold it with a load and people in the boat.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski ditched the 190 for a 240. He has similar mods on it as well.

I have a '17 AR190. It runs decent for what it is, however top speed is very load dependant. 4 adults, 4 kids on board with Bimini deployed in the middle of August, top speed was around 36-38mph. 2 adults and a cooler with Bimini stowed I've seen 43.5mph.

With that said, I had the adults asking me to slow down around 35mph when we were fully loaded, so top speed was somewhat of a moot point anyway.

If you have the cash, a supercharged 192/195 with an upgraded intercooler will maintain your top speed much more consistently than the N/A boats, and still fit in your garage.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello! New to the forum but not new to jet powered crafts, done a fair bit of jetskis in the past but all 2 stroke stuff. I test drove an 2012 AR190 today, guy is wanting $21k for the boat and all the accessories to boot. I've been searching all over for performance mods specific to these boats and this seems to be the best written thread I have come across. Can we resurrect it and get any more updates?

Upon my sea trial (heavy wind and a good amount of chop) I honestly was disappointed in the performance of the AR190. Holeshot was meh, top speed was holding in the 38 mph range but would see 43 when the wind let up a bit, that was full gear and two adults. I want to pull the trigger on this boat but performance is bothering me! I'm not looking for speed so much as hole shot and just the ability to get to top speed and hold it with a load and people in the boat.
What @2kwik4u said! Check out @SamCF thread on SX192 mods - he has got the fastest, strongest 19fter Yam there is. If you need to stick with 19ft for storage/towing etc. - a 192/195 may be a better way to go.

I loved my 190, don't get me wrong, would still have it if we didn't have four kids growing up quickly.
But it takes a lot of work to make those run hard out of the hole. By comparison, the 240 twin is an absolute brute - stock. Acceleration and pulling power is just much greater, strait out of factory. It is hard to beat two pumps with one, lol.

--

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length

$21k is too high for that boat. Even if its loaded with extras, that price is a stretch.

Also, if the speed bothers you now, don't buy it.

override

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
@swatski ditched the 190 for a 240. He has similar mods on it as well.

I have a '17 AR190. It runs decent for what it is, however top speed is very load dependant. 4 adults, 4 kids on board with Bimini deployed in the middle of August, top speed was around 36-38mph. 2 adults and a cooler with Bimini stowed I've seen 43.5mph.

With that said, I had the adults asking me to slow down around 35mph when we were fully loaded, so top speed was somewhat of a moot point anyway.

If you have the cash, a supercharged 192/195 with an upgraded intercooler will maintain your top speed much more consistently than the N/A boats, and still fit in your garage.
What @2kwik4u said! Check out @SamCF thread on SX192 mods - he has got the fastest, strongest 19fter Yam there is. If you need to stick with 19ft for storage/towing etc. - a 192/195 may be a better way to go.

I loved my 190, don't get me wrong, would still have it if we didn't have four kids growing up quickly.
But it takes a lot of work to make those run hard out of the hole. By comparison, the 240 twin is an absolute brute - stock. Acceleration and pulling power is just much greater, strait out of factory. It is hard to beat two pumps with one, lol.

--
Ok, this is all great to know!! I have actually passed up some good 192/195 deals due to the fact that I a) didn't have a clue what the 19fters we're like in person (think too small) and b) I am under the impression the supercharger causes more unreliability and a lot more upkeep/chance for failure. I've read about the supercharger coming apart or breaking down in general but on the other hand I've read about upgrading them with parts that make em last much longer between services. I intend to do all my own maintenance because I don't trust other peoples hands on my stuff.

19ft doesn't have to be my go to, I was actually looking at the 212x, it's truly the boat I want but to get into the 1.8l motors the cost is just too high on used stuff (people in Texas trying to get $30k plus for 08/09 models as it is) that haven't been well maintained .

All that said my question is - from a reliability and maintenance aspect are the 192/195s good?

@SamCF I agree $21k being to high, the guy won't budge on the price. A lot of people are very stubborn about there boats values but I also can understand because I've been there too. My last jetski was a good example NADA @ $3500 and I had over $8k in the ski with 40 hours on the full rebuild. Everyone said I was crazy for asking so much but it truly was a ski like no other .I took a hard loss on it :/

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep range in mind when looking at the 192/195 boats, If you have a long distance between fillups. They use a much fuel as the dual engine boats with a slightly smaller tank. They also run on 93, so make sure you have access to that at/near your favorite body of water.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@override Also - keep in mind that if you can wait a couple of months... there is your buyers market again and there will be more choices.
I came very close to buying a 2009 232 at some point, and only got the 2016 240 as the other sale failed (it was an ebay bs). I don't regret it, but a well maintained 230 can be had in low 20s if you look hard, and 2008-2009 are probably best production years of Yamaha boats - ever - as far as production quality. There may be some things that may need attention, but those are roomy, powerful boats that will do what you are looking for. Just saying.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was actually looking at the 212x, it's truly the boat I want but to get into the 1.8l motors the cost is just too high on used stuff (people in Texas trying to get $30k plus for 08/09 models as it is) that haven't been well maintained .
212x was also my favorite for a while, but I decided that for the price I'm better off with a 240, the 212xs are very expensive both new and used!

--

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Keep range in mind when looking at the 192/195 boats, If you have a long distance between fillups. They use a much fuel as the dual engine boats with a slightly smaller tank. They also run on 93, so make sure you have access to that at/near your favorite body of water.
My 192 ran best on 87 octane with 10% ethanol. You for sure don't need premium in a stock supercharged boat. The 195 might call for 91 octane.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Only the newer 195 (SVHO engine) require 91 or 93 fuel. The 192's (SHO) still recommend good ole 87 octane.