• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Torn on which mooring cover to get

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The Deluxe mooring cover is $535 and is grey; Premium deluxe mooring cover $616 and is black. The price really isn't that much of an issue, but the color is. I love how the black cover looks, and that its made a bit better, but how hot is it going to get under there? It's got vents, but im not certain it will vent the heat as quickly as it comes in. Does anyone care to weigh in on this? It'll be wet slipped in the Florida sun.

I have the black premium. I am very happy with it - but it does get HOT! I would imagine in the Florida sun, it took get scorching.

I have the premium cover and I will say the yamaha factory covers aren't made all that well. It looks really good and fits very well though! They are pretty thin and over a season of Florida sun it will fade and cook that cover. I know they are expensive but if my boat sat outside more than it does I would invest in the sunbrella covers which are a much better material in my opinion. I think @JetBoatPilot has some covers he custom makes that are similar.

Which of the yamaha covers is it that you should take the pooling poles out for towing? Couldn't remember, but something to consider.

Generally, I don't tow with the cover on; it would purely be to keep the interior protected while not in use. If I have to replace it again in 3 years, I suppose that would be ok. I would much rather get 5 years out of it though.

I get 3 years....about $180/year. It turns to dust eventually. I'm using patches and in the market again and considering alternatives.

I have the deluxe premium cover on it's way (should be here on Thurs), I can give you my first impressions when it arrives.

I was debating between that cover and getting something custom built, but decided for the price and convenience (shipped to the door vs dropping the boat off somewhere) it was best to go with this cover for now and the next couple yrs. I do plan on getting something custom made at some point, but we'll see after this one arrives and gets put on...

I'm a fellow South Florida guy who has used black, light brown and gray covers (not on Yamaha boats). There is no measurable difference between the colors. They all get hot! White performs the best in reflecting heat but you will need it custom made. You might want to price out custom made covers in Sunbrella from a local shop -- you'll get 10 years out of the cover.

Also if you go to sunbrella website it has a chart for how much light and UV penetrate based on fabric color.
1. light transmittence %
2. solar transmitence %
3. UV transmittance %

I ordered Sunbrella cover made by Carver from coversdirect.com (they will do an online price match and beat by $10). I went with charcoal color based on the 3 factors above.
The cover is in my garage and the the boat is at dealer. So I do not know how it fits yet, but it is suppose to be a custom cover made specifically for my AR240 with factory tower.
I will report and post pictures once I install and test.

I originally was going to go with a silver color, but found out it lets a lot more UV penetrate the boat interior then the Charcoal color.
It is an awning chart but I assume the numbers work for a boat cover.
upload_2014-5-19_22-21-25.png

Last edited:
@dan144k very interested in how this works out. I'm going to need another cover by the end of this season..I love my Yamaha cover, just wish it lasted longer.. Please keep us AR guys up to date..

I just bought a deluxe cover with my new boat. I would not own a black anything in Texas so the premium was absolutely out...but it pissed me off royally that it only came in black, because I would have bought it otherwise. The light gray is perfect and I suspect it reflects more than it absorbs. I also wouldn't trailer any speed or distance without a cover but that is subjective on how you use the boat. If you have carpets in, you will lose them, if you have seat cushions not somehow secured, you may lose them too. But under 50mph, your fine without a cover.

What is the price range for Sunbrella covers? I cant seem to find anything pricing on it. If its a bit more, maybe its worth the hassle.

I know of 3 different guys that have had a sunbrella version of the Yamaha cover custom made (that is the only way to get one). I don't know of anyone getting one done for less than $1000. It isn't the material cost, it is the difference in a "one off" version vs. a "production line" version. The actual cost of the material per yard varies depending on the material in both "Surelast" or "Sunbrella". Each of those fabric companies have different choices in weight/resistance characteristics/application.

I have the premium cover. Happy with fit and looks. Durability has been bad. It baked in the sun last year and is leaking this year. Going to try the new premium cover they just came out with this year. If that does not work out going with Sunbrella.

I just bought a deluxe cover with my new boat. I would not own a black anything in Texas so the premium was absolutely out...but it pissed me off royally that it only came in black, because I would have bought it otherwise. The light gray is perfect and I suspect it reflects more than it absorbs. I also wouldn't trailer any speed or distance without a cover but that is subjective on how you use the boat. If you have carpets in, you will lose them, if you have seat cushions not somehow secured, you may lose them too. But under 50mph, your fine without a cover.
You got a new boat?? I guess I'm behind.

You got a new boat?? I guess I'm behind.
Yes! @scokill , couldn't stand being without...I bought a new leftover 2012 SX240 about 3 weeks ago. We have been out only twice so far. It is a nice boat! I think even the deluxe m/t cover is better material than my previous one. But I don't like the two sets of ratchets vs the single one.

I have the premium cover. Happy with fit and looks. Durability has been bad. It baked in the sun last year and is leaking this year. Going to try the new premium cover they just came out with this year. If that does not work out going with Sunbrella.
@TechRider , are you sure your first cover is the premium? Because the premium is black. If indeed you do have the "premium", why would you try the "premium" again. Up until the premium, it was called a "deluxe" cover. I hope the premium is better...if it just wasn't black!

@txav8r I do have the black premium. They came out with a new cover this year that I am hoping is superior in quality and water resistance. My existing cover leaks, the ratchets are not working properly and the seams are starting to have issues. If I could get a custom Sunbrella cover that would fit my boat like the Yamaha cover I would be all over it.

New cover has hard pockets over the cleats and a little different design. The description sounds like they made additional improvements as well.

Sur Last® BW+ includes improvements over standard Sur Last®, including a new weave and surface treatments. It uses the same “solution dyed” filament polyester yarns, providing excellent UV fade resistance and dimensional stability. Also includes zippers around the mooring cleats to allow easier docking. Now, in addition, these covers also have the following features: Weave is a balanced construction allowing for a tighter fabric, increasing its weight 15%. Weave increases its tensile and tear strength by 25% while adding more water repellency. Remains lightweight but with increased strength. Face side surface has an enhanced durable water repellency treatment adding 50-60% more hydrostatic water resistance than any comparable fabric available. Surface tension decreases so the water beads gather quicker to move off the cover faster. Repellency will last longer than the traditional treatment. Urethane coating is non-abrasive to gel coat surface. - See more at: https://www.yamahapartsandaccessori...ith-tower?b=Boat&d=13|13#sthash.tS8QTQRl.dpuf

This will be my last Yamaha cover if this one under performs!

aM5PHU5-XSoYLhHpE87P-uoM2nDv_NTe4Fo71NNN4tQ1.jpg

Yes! @scokill , couldn't stand being without...I bought a new leftover 2012 SX240 about 3 weeks ago. We have been out only twice so far. It is a nice boat! I think even the deluxe m/t cover is better material than my previous one. But I don't like the two sets of ratchets vs the single one.

I'm sure the mods are in the planning stage? My cover is almost dust. I may get another couple of months out of it with some patches. I used iron on one year on both sides but may just use some super duct tape to get me by. I get 3 years/cover. Given the price of sunbrella or like cover I guess it's not that bad for being in the sun 24/7. The boat is going indoors this off season. My brother in law owns a building downtown and they have a tenant that left warehouse type building where we can store the boat.

I have a premium JW, I think I mentioned it in another thread. It does get really hot, so much that when I peel the cover back in the day I cannot even stand on the vinyl it's so hot.
I was really concerned regarding the engine, full fuel tank etc when it's being stored, until one day I opened the engine hood up straight away, and to my surprise the engine compartment was stone cold.

My concern now is the vinyl drying out or ageing before it's time.

Looking ahead I see you've got some hot days coming, 98 + :eek:.

Not really a problem for me now as I managed to store the boat in the garage:D. I would personally see how much a custom made in White would cost, the black really does draw the suns heat.

Back