• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Torn on which mooring cover to get

@dan144k Sunbrella Awning fabric is heavier and more protectant than the regular Sunbrella line of fabrics. Most guys around here use the awning fabric for covers but it does come at a higher cost.

I wish commercial sewing (the company that makes the Yamaha covers) would do custom orders in Sunbrella. They have the patterns, it would be nice to spec the thread as well so they use something bleach resistant.

The only issue I had with my sunbrella was it would tend to start to mildew towards the end of the season, mostly on the outside, probably where dust/dirt/etc collects. I also didn't particularly like the 303 treatment every year when it was older. But, being able to bleach (obviously reduced strength) the cover would make the cleaning process easier.

I think commercial sewing makes the cover to a price point so that Yamaha can make a nice profit on it. I have no issues with that, but I'd pay $1000 for a well made, well executed cover in a color of my choice and maybe material of my choice. I understand why Yamaha doesn't want to deal with that, inventory, over stock of certain colors/combos, not having it at the dealer and having to wait, etc. But they end up in this situation with premium Black covers that are not suitable for a major section of the US due to heat build up. At the very least, how about a nice vent in the cover to help with that? Maybe commercial sewing could work out a deal with Yamaha to kick them $100 for every cover they sell that fits their boat so they don't appear to be competing with the OEM cover?

The carver cover looks interesting, but commercial has very nice features with the ratchet strap, molded covers for cleats/gas cap, etc. Hoepfully my current cover gets me through a few years until someone comes out with the ultimate cover! :)

Last edited:
@steined good points. That would be a nice option if commercial offered those. I would be very happy if they sold the shipping covers too :)

I contacted commercial sewing before I ordered and asked of they could make the Yamaha premium cover in charcoal or light grey. They emailed me saying they can make it any color that Yamaha. They told that had the capability to make the premium in light grey, but cannot do it for me directly. Their agreement with Yamaha is not to sell to consumers or dealers directly, only to Yamaha. They said I would need to try contacting Yamaha directly and have them order on for me in different color. I decided it was a wste of time to contact Yamaha, and pay full retail price.

The cover I ordered my sunbrella carver Cover for slightly more than retail is for premium cover. Searching and using a price match. And could have any color I wanted.

Also Carver told me when I trailer; Do Not use poles. Only use poles for snow load and maybe rain.

Other persons picture on other website (for reference) Carver sunbrella cover in silver
ar240_w_cvr.JPG

Last edited:
@dan144k do they have covers for the 240 or is each one custom? How much was it? Does it fit like the Yamaha cover with cut outs for cleats and gas?

When I ordered my cover they made it from a pattern they have. I think specific to our boats. It took about 10 days from order placement to delivery at my house.

I do not wet slip very often, and I think the cover would just lay over the ropes when tied to the Keats.

You would need to contact Carver, I think they have a pattern they follow, making it a custom fit cover, mass produced.
Not cutouts for kleats or fuel (still in box, I have not put on boat yet {boat at dealer warranty work})
Search Carver Cover at yjb, their is a post with more information.

Last edited:
I think there is a shipping cover for the ar 240 on sale here or on yjb for $100. I bought one for $250 and it's been worth every penny as is been through two California winters now. It is my off season cover, is much more water resistant than my charcoal deluxe cover but is still towable. By using this for half the year I'm hoping to prolong the life of the deluxe cover.

Is yamaha now offering two versions of the (black) premium cover or did the new one replace the old one?

It is my understanding that there is only one "premium" cover Ronnie. But like Yamaha and other companies, they may have made a change since the introduction last year. But I think it is less likely that a significant change has been made.

I store my boat in my dock, on a lift with a roof on it.

Would a premium boat cover last in those conditions?

I bought my boat used and the original owner had color matched (blue) sunbrella covers made for it. The cover looks and performs exceptional. I have to imagine it cost $1000+ though. When the time comes, I will have a new cover made that is as close to what I have now as possible. I checked on the boat the other day after serious rain (4"-5") and it was bone dry. Not sure how in would fare in Florida or Texas, but in Upstate New York it has been great.

I get 3 years....about $180/year. It turns to dust eventually. I'm using patches and in the market again and considering alternatives.
I paid $1200 for my Sunbrella and it comes with a 10 year warranty. So that is $120/year. Most who have bought and owned this type of cover say you can expect about 3 years past the warranty, which would be 13 years at $92/year. Even if I don't own the boat for the full life of the warranty, it will sell easier when the perspective buyer sees premium cover protecting the boat, and this buyer will know he is buying a bosat from someone who took the BEST care of the boat possible. Also, the cover is custom, so you can get whatever color you want.

@BigN8 who did you order from?

Company locally called Dallas Canvas. I dropped the boat off at their shop and they had the custom cover ready in 3 days.

For what it's worth, I just ordered the deluxe cover. Didn't like the idea of a black cover in the Florida sun.

Just FYI we just took in a consignment custom JBP Sunbrella cover which is about a year old and are selling it for $800. It fits an AR240

I would have bought that JBP cover if I it was a month earlier. $800 sounds like a good deal.

Back