• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow Boat U.S. bill

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I got a bill from Tow Boat US for $3600 after my unfortunate flooding outside of Port Everglades..

$900 for the tow and $2700 for "salvage"

I am a member of Boat U.S. with unlimited towing coverage.. so I asked what the Salvage part was and was told it was because the pumped the water out of my boat during the tow.. This seems like total BS to me because I was told everything the boat US guy was doing would be covered.. I also dont know why I was billed for the towing..

Might just be an invoice to show what is going to be paid. I know last year when I was towed it was all paid for by boatus.

did your boat flood?

No. Was just a tow. From the fuel dock back to Harbour Towne Marina.

But your regular boat insurance should cover you for salvage if the boat us towing part didn't

Did you call them then? This is going tobe important to a lot of people here because if they charge you for it anyway then what's the point of getting the insurance?

Just looked into it. Salvage ie pumping a boat out is not covered under the towing insurance. But is covered under your regular boat insurance policy.

I would have pumped it out myself, had I been told up front by the tow boat captain it wasnt covered, I was told everything he was doing was all covered.. StateFarm Insurance also does not cover but a portion of the salvage.. 5% of the boat value.. so in my case its 5% of 31K or $1550.. which means I am now stuck owing an additional $1000..

What To Know If You Think It's Just A Tow:

The Difference Between Towing and Salvage
As millions of recreational boat owners get ready to launch their vessels this season, knowing the difference between towing and salvage could save them boatloads of money should they need help on the water, says BoatUS, whose towing companies are the nation's largest fleet of assistance towing vessels.

Historically and legally, salvage is any voluntary and successful rescue of a boat and/or its cargo from a peril at sea. Salvage often results in a "demand" for a percentage of the boat's post-casualty value — sometimes a considerable amount of money. Towing costs much less and is billed by the hour, averaging $200 per hour for non-members.

The distinction between towing and salvage is reflected in the different types of programs available to boaters. Towing assistance, like the pre-paid service available to BoatUS members, provides help for breakdowns and light groundings. The far more expensive salvage claims are covered only by yacht insurance policies such as BoatUS Marine Insurance.

Since the same marine assistance company often provides both towing and salvage services, it is essential that the boat owner reach an understanding with the marine assistance provider before action is taken, cautions Jerry Cardarelli, BoatUS Vice President of Towing Services. BoatUS Towing Service Providers are required to inform the captain of a boat before beginning any work if the procedure is salvage, not towing. If this isn't possible due to wind and sea conditions, the towing company should tell the captain as soon as possible.

However, boaters should not assume they will always be told. Boaters should always ask whether the job is towing or salvage before they accept a tow.

If the answer is "salvage," the boater should ask if the company — or "salvor" — will give a fixed price or one based on time and materials before beginning the job. If so, get the price in writing or, if an oral agreement, try to have someone witness it, Cardarelli suggests.

If the salvor wants to do the job first and says he does not know what the cost will be but will make a salvage claim afterwards, the final charge will be decided one of three ways: negotiation with the boater's insurance company; binding arbitration (a variety of forums exist, including the BoatUS Salvage Arbitration Program, a low-cost option available to all boat owners, marine assistance and insurance companies); or — rarely — through litigation in federal admiralty courts. If the salvor does not give a price before doing the job, the boater should ask the salvor if he uses or will agree to use the BoatUS Open Form Yacht Salvage Contract, which assures any claim can go to binding arbitration if negotiation fails.

@David Hoff have you received a bill from Tow Boat U.S.?

was your boat pumped out as well?

WOW this sucks. Sorry to hear!

@David Hoff have you received a bill from Tow Boat U.S.?

was your boat pumped out as well?

My boat was not pumped out. It was weird, as the Coast Guard guy said that as long as the bilge pumps were still running, we didn't want to have them pump out the boat. Things were chaotic, so I didn't ask why at the time. The Coast Guard was very willing to just wait there and watch/circle the boat as it continued to empty itself. Once done, they slapped a (surprisingly short) tow rope on the bow and pulled it back to Harbor Town Marina. I've not received any bills (or any statements) from them yet, however, when I showed him my card, he said all he needed to see was that I was on the unlimited plan.

I have the unlimited plan as well and was told by the boat driver that everything he was doing was covered as well..

Guess this is a heads up to everyone.. dont let them pump your boat out if you dont want a huge bill.

Salvage is how the local operators make money. Sounds like this tow boat driver was not forthcoming and you should dispute this with HQ.

This is excellent information. I am very sorry that it again lands on you. Sir, I really do wish you the best and I hope it's all uphill from here. If it's karma, then you are about to hit the lottery.

Salvage is how the local operators make money. Sounds like this tow boat driver was not forthcoming and you should dispute this with HQ.

I totally agree. If the tow boat driver made statements to you that were factually incorrect, and that directly influenced your decision to act in the way you did at the time you did, and did it as a representative of Tow Boat US (even if he was not their direct employee), you should have a legal beachhead to push back on the charges. I strongly suggest you do - and document everything.

Attorneys/others with legal insight onboard have any comments?

unfortunately, the tow boat driver had me sign some paperwork while the coast guard was interrogating me, so I am sure I signed something that says they could bill be whatever. But rest assured I will fight it..

unfortunately, the tow boat driver had me sign some paperwork while the coast guard was interrogating me, so I am sure I signed something that says they could bill be whatever. But rest assured I will fight it..

Maybe so, but releases can often be overcome in the face of improper company behavior. Suggest you get some professional advice - also be careful with Internet postings until it is all resolved, could possibly be used against you.

Good luck

Back