• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow valve location.

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just picked up a 16 242 LSE and was looking to install tow/flush valves like I did on my 2011 242. I peeped under the clean out tray and it looks like a different set up. On my 11 I could see valves, on the 16 it looks like they are buried. Any advise? Pics etc...TIA

Last edited:

Chief

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Well I'm glad to hear its not just me. There is no way I can install tow valves in my 2016 242... I thought maybe I just had shorter then average arms.

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m sure people have installed but where I used to see valves looks like they relocated pump tubing.

ross l

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do you think a beach towel shoved down the clean out port and in front of the impeller would prevent water pressure during a tow? I think it would. - Don't want to be first to try it though.

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Water comes in via pump on side of jet. Not sure ur idea would do anything.

ross l

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Cooling water enters the system via pressure inside the pump after the impeller. If you stopped water or slowed it considerably from getting past the impeller with said towel, you would prevent water pressure inside the pump.

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I want valves to flush Motors in slip.

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
2016 242 Limited S E-Series
Added mine under the swim platform next to the cleanouts.
Cannot see them through the inspection manhole due to how the exhaust is crammed in there.
I put a zip tie on each of them and left the tail long do I can find the zip tie and follow it to the valve. The zip tie also gives me peace of mind that the valves are open and didn't vibrate closed or something. It's a good reach through the manhole but easier than me trying to get to the back of the engines where the Y connector is (had a hell of a time replacing the hoses and clamps in there due to rust, which is what started the project of adding the valves for me.)

20200625_132007.jpg
20200625_110722.jpg
20200623_141624.jpg

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did the same as above but used PVC valves and put a loop in the line so the valves are up top so all I have to do is unscrew the access ports and the valves are right there

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Doesn’t the loop restrict the gravity drain , w loop won’t water get trapped in there ?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It might, dunno but during the season I'm not worried about it. It is easy enough to drain ant the end of the year with just loosening a clamp and pulling the hose off.

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@ Wolverine Do you have a pic of the port side valve ? On my old 2011 242 they were more accessible.

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Phillip
The pic from earlier is my starboard side, here is the port
20200625_105307.jpg

Keep in mind that when the access panel is screwed down you can't see around the cleanout tube and the exhaust to visually inspect through the manhole.
When I pulled the access cover I found lots of rusted out clamps on all pretty much every lower bilge hose, water in, water out, cleanout tray drain, exhaust hoses etc. This whole project wasn't meant to happen. I had pulled my cupholders on the swim platform to fit rod holder ones in their place and saw the rusted clamps and bits and pieces of stuff.
I got my boat in February. It has been a salt water boat in the Keys and Miami it's whole life so might want to pull that panel and take a look! Also the clamps on the engine side for water in all around the Y connector were terrible.20200622_145500.jpg
How the water intake line looked

20200622_150008.jpg
Exhaust out

20200622_151748.jpg
Crap found in bilge (dealer had replaced my steering cables prior to purchase... Imagine that...)

20200623_101529.jpg
Y Connector behind engines

20200623_141820.jpg
Stuff removed and installed

20200229_121959.jpg
All you can see with just the manhole removed

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@wolverine- thanks. My hatch area seems to be in perfect condition with no visible rust. Boat had 13 hours on it. Looks like you removed some exhaust plumbing to install valves. Do u always keep zip ties on and just slide off as needed ? I will use valves very frequently

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nice. I used island racing valves in past and picked up another pair

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Phillip
My boat had about 100 hours when I got it
I did remove the port exhaust hose to access that area as well as released some of the bungee straps they used to mount the water boxes
I needed to put new clamps on the exhaust hoses anyway and decided it wanted to extra space to work20200623_100714.jpg

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I keep the zip ties on. They are tightened just enough so I can side them on and off as needed and still know that the valve couldn't accidently vibrate closed or something... And if course since I can't see my valves it gives me that long tail to let my hand follow down to the valves

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also note, most every clamp I removed I broke or cut off with wire dykes. Several crumbled as soon as I touched them. The problematic ones were the ones that Yamaha used a squeeze type clamp. They put up a good fight.