• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow valves (easy to reach)

TreeRX

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Purchased a boat without a trailer and keeping it wet slipped. First mod was installing tow valves so that I could flush the engines. Read all the threads on here, and decided I wanted to located the valves in the engine compartment so that I can easily access them to flush after every use.

Here are the Y fittings for both engines:
IMG_1865.jpegIMG_1866.jpeg

I made a couple mistakes and want to share my experience to help others...My first mistake was not being fully prepared before I started this project. I cut the cooling water intake line while the boat was floating in a slip. Never crossed my mind that water would start pouring into the engine compartment the second I cut the hose. I froze with panic for a couple seconds, and then plugged the hose with my finger while I was awkwardly hugging the engine and mentally freaking out that I was about to sink the boat I literally just got that day.
I decided the best way to stop the water was to pinch off the hose with some vice grips I was fortunate enough to bring with me to the marina. Had to let the water flow into the engine bay as I searched for the vice grips. By the time I had cut off the flow of water, the bilge pump had been running for a bit already. For those of you about to do this, I recommend doing this on land, or pinching off the hose BEFORE cutting it. Seems so obvious to me now...
My second mistake was trying to get the rusted hose clamps off, by reaching behind the engines. Those POS clips are a nightmare. I spent well over an hour trying to use anything and everything I had to get the clips off, with one hand, while reaching down behind the engine (terrible position to be in for an extended period of time). To make matters worse, I also broke the tip off of my knife while trying to pry the clips off. Don't waste your time doing this. Just cut the whole F-ing thing out so you can pry the rusted clips off with 2 hands.
IMG_1973.jpeg

Here's the Y fitting reinstalled with a loop and valve added in:
IMG_2171.jpeg

I added a loop to the hose so that I could mount the shutoff valve in an easy to reach spot:
IMG_2169.jpeg
IMG_2168.jpeg

I'm sure adding in the extra length of hose/forming the loop restricts the water flow a bit...But at least I can easily flush my engines while wet slipped now.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I cut the cooling water intake line while the boat was floating in a slip. Never crossed my mind that water would start pouring into the engine compartment the second I cut the hose. I froze with panic for a couple seconds, and then plugged the hose with my finger while I was awkwardly hugging the engine and mentally freaking out that I was about to sink the boat I literally just got that day.
Funny write up. That had to be a little terrifying!

I don’t wet slip but it’s good to know those things are below the water line if I’m ever messing with them on the lake.

TreeRX

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
are those barbs 5/8?
Yes. There are the barbs I used:

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks, and sorry you almost sank your boat. You live and learn.