• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tower Knob /Bolt Stripped?

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
The knob used to secure the tower in its upright position on the starboard side of our 21 195s, has been a little difficult to tighten since day one. Yesterday while cruising in fairly choppy water, I kept hearing a banging. Later in the day I realized that the knob had worked itself out.
Any thoughts on how to repair? Would I have to replace the polymere piece that the tower rests on and thatTower Knob.jpeg the knob tightens into, or am I looking at something much more complicated?

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, get us some pictures as to which piece stripped. Did you pull the threads out of the base, or did you pull the threads off the bolt, OR, did you just spin the plastic knob on the bolt?

Also, I'll have to do some digging, however @swatski did a good writeup on how to prevent this from happening if you never lower your tower (or do it VERY infrequently). In that thread he documented the size and pitch of the threads. I'll go see what I can find, but it might be a bit.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
OK, get us some pictures as to which piece stripped. Did you pull the threads out of the base, or did you pull the threads off the bolt, OR, did you just spin the plastic knob on the bolt?

Also, I'll have to do some digging, however @swatski did a good writeup on how to prevent this from happening if you never lower your tower (or do it VERY infrequently). In that thread he documented the size and pitch of the threads. I'll go see what I can find, but it might be a bit.
Much appreciated. Will take pictures next time I'm at the boat.
The angle has always felt slightly off, as you had to play with the knob/bolt in order for it to thead.
It will tighten up but now appears to be backing out or sliding through worn threads.
Will start with a thread chaser as suggested by @Weeb.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Much appreciated. Will take pictures next time I'm at the boat.
The angle has always felt slightly off, as you had to play with the knob/bolt in order for it to thead.
It will tighten up but now appears to be backing out or sliding through worn threads.
Will start with a thread chaser as suggested by @Weeb.
If you don't lift/lower your tower often look for a product called "Vibra-Tite" it's a thick gooey substance (bottle says "Contents partially unknown") that you paint on the threads and let setup, then thread into place. Works similar to a nylock nut, doesn't lock the threads in place, but gives them enough resistance to not rattle loose.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
If you don't lift/lower your tower often look for a product called "Vibra-Tite" it's a thick gooey substance (bottle says "Contents partially unknown") that you paint on the threads and let setup, then thread into place. Works similar to a nylock nut, doesn't lock the threads in place, but gives them enough resistance to not rattle loose.
We almost never lower our tower as the storage unit leease is tall enough to store the boat without lowering it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@kgower

Check out this thread.

Different tower, but same premise.

Also, a note on some of the chatter from "back in the day". swat had a tower fall on him during his crossing from FL to the Bimini Islands. Landed on the back of his head, damn near knocked him out in deep water. He had to remove the tower and essentially strap it to someone elses boat to get it home. For good reason, he was super pissed at Yamaha and claimed the design was faulty. He and I went rounds over that with both of us making good points, and essentially agreeing to disagree. I'm not sure if he ever took the issue to court, I have no idea what the results were if he did. I have no intention of rehashing all that, just wanted to give some context to some of those threads that are linked within the one above in case you didn't know the history. Ultimately, the fix he has outlined there will give the tower additional safety factor from loosening/falling. He's run his boat in far rougher water than most, and it's held up without issue.

Last edited:

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
@kgower

Check out this thread.

Different tower, but same premise.

Also, a note on some of the chatter from "back in the day". swat had a tower fall on him during his crossing from FL to the Bimini Islands. Landed on the back of his head, damn near knocked him out in deep water. He had to remove the tower and essentially strap it to someone elses boat to get it home. For good reason, he was super pissed at Yamaha and claimed the design was faulty. He and I went rounds over that with both of us making good points, and essentially agreeing to disagree. I'm not sure if he ever took the issue to court, I have no idea what the results were if he did. I have no intention of rehashing all that, just wanted to give some context to some of those threads that are linked within the one above in case you didn't know the history. Ultimately, the fix he has outlined there will give the tower additional safety factor from loosening/falling. He's run his boat in far rougher water than most, and it's held up without issue.
Much appreciated. I was going to search for the thread this morning.