• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing a 242 with a Rivian R1S

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't see the point in having that many vehicles (says the guy with 3 himself and one for the wife). If you've got a long commute and need to tow... Eh maybe, but I'd get a small diesel then and combine it. I like my "do stuff" vehicles to be my every day vehicles, and the non daily drivers to be sports cars that are impractical, lol.

I want my family hauler to also be my tow vehicle and my daily driver.
I'm 100% opposite. I want my family hauler and daily commuter to be as nice and as close to "do it all" as I can get. If I'm gonna spend so much time in the damn thing, might as well be as fun/enjoyable as I can get :D

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...guzzling all the premium in the tbss on longer trips...
What kind of mileage are you getting in the SS while towing. I would rarely get over 12-13mpg in normal commuting, and I was well under 10 while towing my AR190. Thing would pass everything but a gas station!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm 100% opposite. I want my family hauler and daily commuter to be as nice and as close to "do it all" as I can get. If I'm gonna spend so much time in the damn thing, might as well be as fun/enjoyable as I can get :D
My daily is fun, I'm saying I don't see the point in a commuter car and a hauling vehicle. I'd rather my tbss or an srt jeep that does both, vs some little shit box that's good on gas. But I don't have a long commute, and if I did, I'd do a diesel for it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My daily is fun, I'm saying I don't see the point in a commuter car and a hauling vehicle. I'd rather my tbss or an srt jeep that does both, vs some little shit box that's good on gas. But I don't have a long commute, and if I did, I'd do a diesel for it.
The problem comes when your hauling becomes larger than your fun can be. I totally get having two when you move beyond 1500class capability. Even a 1500 makes for an arguably rough commuter if you're in a tight/small city, or have rough roads to deal with. I miss my 1500 pickup, but good grief the Q7 and the SS are/were such better commuters.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What kind of mileage are you getting in the SS while towing. I would rarely get over 12-13mpg in normal commuting, and I was well under 10 while towing my AR190. Thing would pass everything but a gas station!
Haven't tried yet, but I average 12.7ish city. I figure towing on the highway will be 10-11ish. Thats not really worse than most anything else towing, outside a small diesel, just on premium, lol.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haven't tried yet, but I average 12.7ish city. I figure towing on the highway will be 10-11ish. Thats not really worse than most anything else towing, outside a small diesel, just on premium, lol.
I got about 13mpg with both the Q7 and the Sierra while towing the same boat. That 6.0L with 4spd transmission and 4.10:1 gears towed well, but good grief it sucked down the fuel.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The problem comes when your hauling becomes larger than your fun can be. I totally get having two when you move beyond 1500class capability. Even a 1500 makes for an arguably rough commuter if you're in a tight/small city, or have rough roads to deal with. I miss my 1500 pickup, but good grief the Q7 and the SS are/were such better commuters.
Agreed, but when you can get a TBSS, GCSRT, Durango, etc that can tow 7000 pounds, outside of a huge boat it's not much of a concern. I don't think even the new 25s would be beyond what those could tow. Certainly a suburban would be better with the longer wheelbase, or a truck, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

The RS Q7 may end up becoming the real bargain in the segment. I looked at GL/GLS63 with the 5.5L turbo, and expect the RS Q7 to depreciate worse than those. With their blend of power and size and utility, they'll be great values... If you're willing to gamble on the reliability.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
While I like higher fuel economy, its not a primary decision maker for me. If I average 15,000 miles per year at 15 mpg, I'm looking at 1,000 gallons ($4,000 per year at $4/gallon). 15,000 miles per year at 30 mpg would be 500 gallons ($2,000 per year at $4/gallon). For the extra $2,000 a year in fuel cost, I can drive whatever I like, and often at a much lower initial cost for the vehicle.

It is great to have choices, however, and the future EV market really opens up those choices! :winkingthumbsup"

Jim

Rammrodd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
We have put in a reservation for the R1S. Would be trading the wife's 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe for it. It's her daily driver/kid hauler. We will be keeping the Armada for hauling the boat. Maybe use the rivian for short trips to the nearest boat landing.

That being said, the rivian checks so many boxes. Once you factor in gas and standard maintenance along with the tax credit you are getting into it for less then a mid level Ford explorer.

The big question is when we can expect delivery.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
We have put in a reservation for the R1S. Would be trading the wife's 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe for it. It's her daily driver/kid hauler. We will be keeping the Armada for hauling the boat. Maybe use the rivian for short trips to the nearest boat landing.

That being said, the rivian checks so many boxes. Once you factor in gas and standard maintenance along with the tax credit you are getting into it for less then a mid level Ford explorer.

The big question is when we can expect delivery.
It may depend somewhat on the battery pack option. Believe I read that the Max battery packs (extended range) were pushed back to 2023.

Jim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It may depend somewhat on the battery pack option. Believe I read that the Max battery packs (extended range) were pushed back to 2023.

Jim
I read similar. 2023 at this point for Max Battery anything. Not sure if all R1S's have been pushed back, or just the max battery ones.

Rivian is seriously behind the 8 ball with production. Need to make something like 800 vehicles a day to fulfill backlog on time at this point. Last I heard they were under 300 still. Which, for a startup, isn't bad, but it's not going to make a dent in that backlog any time soon.

Rammrodd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length

Jim
We opted for the standard battery pack. The early rendition of the R1S with max pack calls for the removal of the 3rd row seats. But now they are saying they are redesigning the max vehicle to incorporate the 3rd row. But yeah, it will be a while before we would expect to see delivery. Maybe even next year. That being said, no one has a true 3rd row EV on the market that competes with their price point and options package.

Rammrodd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
I read similar. 2023 at this point for Max Battery anything. Not sure if all R1S's have been pushed back, or just the max battery ones.

Rivian is seriously behind the 8 ball with production. Need to make something like 800 vehicles a day to fulfill backlog on time at this point. Last I heard they were under 300 still. Which, for a startup, isn't bad, but it's not going to make a dent in that backlog any time soon.
Not ideal circumstances with current supply chain/workforce issues to start a new production let alone keep an existing one running at full capacity. Gotta be flexible in these times.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not ideal circumstances with current supply chain/workforce issues to start a new production let alone keep an existing one running at full capacity. Gotta be flexible in these times.
I'm getting real sick of supply chain issues and labor shortages being the excuse.. It's been almost 2 years since covid started, this is becoming a normal thing, not a temporary "unprecedented times".

Companies need to suck it up, hire people, make their investments to expand capacity, and get shit done.

I'm getting to the point where I'm getting very soured on brands that are claiming supply chain and labor shortages still. Like, I'll buy what's in stock and keep with them because I'm sick of these complainer companies.

July 2020, sure, I'll go with supply chain disruptions. At this point nearly 2 years later, it's leadership failure.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm getting real sick of supply chain issues and labor shortages being the excuse.. It's been almost 2 years since covid started, this is becoming a normal thing, not a temporary "unprecedented times".

Companies need to suck it up, hire people, make their investments to expand capacity, and get shit done.

I'm getting to the point where I'm getting very soured on brands that are claiming supply chain and labor shortages still. Like, I'll buy what's in stock and keep with them because I'm sick of these complainer companies.

July 2020, sure, I'll go with supply chain disruptions. At this point nearly 2 years later, it's leadership failure.
You know what you're seeing now is the effect of what happened in July 2020 right? The supply chain isn't instant, it takes lead times to wind up and wind down. Deplete stock on hand, place orders, get the crunch, scramble to replace/edit/change/substitute, then work towards getting a permanent solution setup. Those aren't problems that you solve today, and have inventory tomorrow. Especially on automotive scales. Hell, I work in a custom shop and we have sheet steel delays in the 16-20 week range now for anything special. Was a 4 week lead two years ago.

You can be fed up with it all you like, but it's not something that is going away overnight. Or even in a year. It'll be a decade before this shit is sorted out.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I understand your point, but at the end of the day it boils down to a failure in the leadership of the suppliers to get shit done. Even if you say "we can't build our machines because we don't have gears because their supplier can't get steel, there is a root cause.

And here's the thing, there was the required equipment before. There's not a huge surge in demand for things vs business as usual 2019, just regular growth, and now some pent up demand.

At some level, there are leaders who are not ramping back up for some unknown reason. Maybe they've decided that by constraining supply they can sell at higher prices and improve profits? I dunno, but what I can say is our suppliers at work fall into 3 categories, they either ramped back up and are fine, didn't ramp up and are saying they're capacity limited, or ramped back up and had suppliers that didn't and are now held hostage by a supplier of theirs.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Incredible. Pull away from a unloaded Ram1500 while dragging a 8100 lbs trailer.

jeanralphio91

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Might not need to worry about it after todays email

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Might not need to worry about it after todays email
Yea, I'm super disappointed in that. Lots of people jumping ship.

Makes my Silverado EV reservation look less ridiculous though.