• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing by Boat US warning!!!!

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My buddy has the same service that saved my ass a few weeks ago when I ran aground.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/thank-the-lord-for-boat-us-towing.10924/#post-186806

He told me a story this afternoon. His non jet boat f'd up in the Chesapeake Bay. He was able to limp the boat into a slip. He needed to get the boat on his trailer, however, which was about 1/4 mile away and he could not "limp" it to the ramp. He was stuck in the marina slip. He called the tow service and thought he would be towed from the slip to the ramp. Nope. Cost him $180, despite his "unlimited" service. The tow operator told him that since he was in a slip, there was no coverage. Sounded strange to me, but my buddy had to shell out the $180. Word to the wise, as he said - next time, do not pull into a slip. Leave it in the waterway and drop anchor. Then the tow to the ramp will be free. Personally, I haven't analyzed the small print, but my guess is there is something in there that allows them to do this. You have been warned!

My understanding is that the insurance only covers recovery of stranded boats which is consistent with your friends experience.

Ty... I have a membership with them. good to know..

Sea-Tow is the same way. I've had to float off the dock a few times to meet the sea-tow captain. (Not in my Yamaha) While at a dock your vessel is considered safe and capable of receiving a repair thus not requiring a tow to stay safe.

why didn't you friend just untie and float away?

@blacksapphirez he said he was told "don't try untying and floating away" because we already have the call in the system." I guess they are not as dumb as we would like them to be, as that is what I would have done. But now? If you read this post this won't happen to you!

i hate "technicalities"
they can easily over look and just tow the damn boat as you have paid for the service annually...but some people/companies are just terrible.

Back