• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

towing question

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My usual tow vehicle- f150- is out of commission until repaired. Will a 2011 V6 Toyota Tacoma safely pull my 242 about 45 miles to get it to my house?

Miller_Time

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
As long as you have the tow package I think you'll be fine. With the tow package your truck should be rated for 6500 lbs. I have a 2013 v6 and pull our 212x with it no problem, other than the 8-9 mpg while pulling. I don't believe the 242 is much heavier than the 212.

Last edited:

Impelled

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it's got the tow pack...you're good.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The internet says there are 2 tow ratings for Tacos. 6500 lbs and 6400 lbs. Check your manual to be sure but seems like you should be fine.

The way it was explained to me, you can tow a boat with just about anything that has enough metal to attach a hitch to and even get it moving at highway speeds. You may blow up a smaller motor if you do it enough but you can get away with it for a while. Tow ratings are really about stopping because nobody wants to stop in the middle of the intersection or railroad crossing. I think about that advice every time I see a crown vic dragging its ass on the ground towing a big boat because it has a V8.

-klb-

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used to drive a 77 Grand Marquis that had a 8,000 lb tow rating. I did tow a 26 foot RV with it from time to time, and it did a pretty decent job. The 2001 grand marquis I drive to work currently only has a 2,000 lb tow rating, and I really don't think I would want to tow that much with it.

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I plan to tow my sx190 with my Volvo xc70....rated for 3000 lbs. Dealer said it will be fine. I have a 1 hr. Highway drive. I really don't want to buy a new vehicle.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I plan to tow my sx190 with my Volvo xc70....rated for 3000 lbs. Dealer said it will be fine. I have a 1 hr. Highway drive. I really don't want to buy a new vehicle.
I don't know the numbers on a 190...but the boat and trailer, loaded along with all your gear...that has to top 3000 pounds. Just check it out, you may not want to buy a new vehicle, but if your are too far north of the numbers, and the Volvo isn't really rated for towing with transmission cooling and capability, you may be buying a transmission whether you like it or not. And the 190s don't come with trailer brakes I don't believe, or didn't at first. So a weak brake system may not stop you in an emergency. Again, I haven't looked at the numbers on that boat or vehicle, but you should! And don't believe the boat dealer. Ask your Volvo dealer!

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In Canada we have surge breaks on the trailers... I believe with gas and some gear I will be just under 3000... I.e. at the max. With no passengers. I will question Volvo dealer on the plan. The drive from dealer to lake is pretty flat too...

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Take 'er easy on the hills. I'm pretty sure towing the boat had an impact on the tranny on our XC90. Rebuild wasn't cheap!

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The dry weight is just under so you have to think about gas at 8 lbs per gallon and any gear in the boat. You also need to look at combined weight to see if you need a second car for people and gear.

RumDiet

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We tow our 242 LS with the Taco - you should be fine. Just don't fill the boat up with gas until you get close to your destination. And plan on a lot of gas stops to re-fill the Taco.

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The dry weight is just under so you have to think about gas at 8 lbs per gallon and any gear in the boat. You also need to look at combined weight to see if you need a second car for people and gear.
I should be fine... We don't travel with ppl and gear... Drop it in...moor it in front of our house. I might only have one passenger... Perhaps I will find more friends now that we have a new boat...haha.

BTW... Thanks for all the tips and remarks. I can't wait to try this jet boat.

eastcoaster

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I tow my 2008 232 with my 2007 tacoma no issues towing from Canada to Florida. They are tough trucks.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Missed the hijack. The Taco should be fine. The Volvo is going to be darn close....make sure you have a big enough receiver.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could just get a rental for real cheap. Then no wear and tear on your personal vehicle.
But make sure that towing is not prohibited by the rental contract. Most have something saying you won't tow with them...

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Took the XC70 to dealer for service... didn't know spark plugs need changing after 120,000 Kilometers of use...

Anyway... service guy suggested all would be fine with the weight of the SX190 ... tongue weight still has me concerned, but I am going for it with the volvo...

Only a 1.25 hr. trip... fairly flat highway drive...

I am getting my new boat TOMORROW. One more sleep... i'm like a little kid these days.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The SX190 is a little lighter than the AR. I had a 12'AR190 and had the dealer install brakes. Fully loaded with a full tank of gas, and every imaginable item for a day of boating - my AR190 weighed in at 3,040 lbs - please keep in mind, my wife packs like we are steaming to Portgual. Anyways, any load exceeding 3000lbs is required to have brakes in Ct - your state may differ.

You should be fine with the Volvo.
I saw a Subaru Outback pulling a SX190 last week on the highway - it was doing 70mph and moving right along with traffic. It made me so curious, I had to look up the tow rating - much to my surprise, it was rated for 3000lbs.

Oops - I just realized this was a about a Taco pulling a 242. Yeah - that should be fine too. Sorry for the hijack.