• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing Waverunner at Night

Russ C

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone towed a WaveRunner behind there boat at night?

First problem I have is towing the WaveRunner, I have never done it. I am thinking a couple rope inside PVC pipe to the stern stern eyes in a triangle should work pretty good? Opinions?

Second lighting? I for the life of me cannot find if there is a lighting requirement for the towed WaveRunner (Virginia).

This is planning for the fourth of July, we want to park the boat in a good spot for fireworks early in the day, then use the WaveRunner to run around. However we need to get the WaveRunner back after the fireworks, no riding after sunset in Virginia.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1. No riding after sunset is BS. . . .
2. How far is your journey back to port after the days events?
3. How fast do you plan on traveling?

Russ C

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1. Yes complete BS on the running after sunset.
2. Only about 4 miles back to port
3. Not traveling fast at all probably around 10mph, lake should be crowded after fireworks so safety is a concern, I will take it slow and easy its only a couple miles. I dont need a drunk running over the WaveRunner in tow.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Make sure you clamp off the lines while towing not to damage the engine. Maybe you can just use some Chem lights on the corners of the waverunner as its behind you?

Russ C

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Roger on the clamp, I will put some type of lighting on the WaveRunner...Chem-lights are a great idea I have tons of those. But I sure cant find anywhere that discusses actual regulations for a boat under tow at night. I found some stuff on barges ect. I may just put chem-lights in a running light configuration and tow it close and hope I dont get caught in the 4 miles.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone towed a WaveRunner behind there boat at night?

First problem I have is towing the WaveRunner, I have never done it. I am thinking a couple rope inside PVC pipe to the stern stern eyes in a triangle should work pretty good? Opinions?

Second lighting? I for the life of me cannot find if there is a lighting requirement for the towed WaveRunner (Virginia).

This is planning for the fourth of July, we want to park the boat in a good spot for fireworks early in the day, then use the WaveRunner to run around. However we need to get the WaveRunner back after the fireworks, no riding after sunset in Virginia.
My first thought when reading this was to make it a hard tow just like you describe in order to keep the ski from slamming the boat. Then use A fully charged $1 store garden/path light and make a 2nd stern might for the wave runner, or to avoid confusion make that one your stern light (Kind of making you looke 13' longer than you are.
upload_2016-6-7_10-55-57.png

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Roger on the clamp, I will put some type of lighting on the WaveRunner...Chem-lights are a great idea I have tons of those. But I sure cant find anywhere that discusses actual regulations for a boat under tow at night. I found some stuff on barges ect. I may just put chem-lights in a running light configuration and tow it close and hope I dont get caught in the 4 miles.
There shouldn't be any rules against towing a disabled boat(ski) to safety. . . . . ;). I would put chem lights on the Ski, and zip tie a few to the lines as well. 10mph is basically no wake speed so you shouldn't have any issues.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They make portable/removable navigation lights for kayaks and jon boats. I would think it would be no different for a waverunner at night. As long as you have the correct lighting. Now, having said that, the options above on the chem lights and solar lights are much cheaper, especially if this is a one time deal. Let us know what you end up doing. Curious.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've towed my friends Honda Aquatrax at night for that very same reason. It's no big deal. I used the same rope we use for the tube. I think I set the jet ski about 20' back so it was out of the jet wash. You are limited in speed by the jet ski starting to sway back and forth kind of like an over loaded trailer. Once you see it starting to sway back and forth just back off the throttles a little and it will stop. If you don't it progressively gets worse. I think I was able to tow the ski around 15 mph. Don't really need to worry about the ski hitting the boat as there is enough drag on the ski to stop it. Unless you jam the boat in reverse, that's a different story.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We used glow sticks. Zip tie them to front and rear of ski when we rode at night in Bimini.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length