• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with F150.

Ddip1125

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Everyone. Has anyone towed their 24' with a 5.0L F150 for an 8 hour trip? If so any issues towing it for that long?

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My Eco handles it no problem. Your 5er will be awesome. I had a 2010 with an old 5.4 and it towed the AR no problem.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you know if your truck has a transmission fluid cooler? I understand that most transmission fail because the fluid gets to hot causing the parts to have issues.

If you don't have a cooler you may want to invest in a gauge just to be able to monitor it. Breaking down along ways from home is a quick way to ruin a trip while a $100 gauge gives you some peace of mind.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I believe all xlt and better packages come with trans cooler separate. Others have it built into radiator? Don't quote me on that.
My f150 xlt with 5.4 and my expedition with 5.4, both 3 valves, same transmission etc tow like a boss. Also have a full upright camper that they both tow no issues. Towed 8 hours to Lake Cumberland (a few kid stops) with both trucks, boat and camper and no issues during the hottest week of the summer. In hills. Then went to Shelbyville. Then home. Lots and lots of towing. Ford and Chevy make great trucks right now in my opinion.
Thank goodness i couldn't afford an ecoboost...

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The longest I've towed mine is just under 4hrs with my '14 FX4. The trans temp gauge never moved. I did have the "tow" option engaged on the trans but I believe that is more for city driving; and to keep you from constantly getting in and out of overdrive. That is what can do your trans/converter serious damage.

When you get done with your trip please let me know if everything went off without a hitch. We are wanting to take the boat up into AR later this year. A long 8-10 hr drive.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've been told the expedition shares the same chassis and drive train, I have an expedition and love it, tows like a boss. If I could justify it though I'd buy a new ford 150 with the independently controlled video trailer ing system.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ddip1125 I towed my 242 limited s 6 hours with my '13 FX4 5.0. You will be fine. These newer engines (5.0 and Eco) are awesome. Plenty of power. The 5.0 will downshift some on hills, but it loves to make it's power in higher rpm range. On a plus side it sounds amazing when it does!

Ddip1125

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi All,

Thanks for the great input. The longest I have towed with my 13' FX4 5.0L is 4 hrs but I towed my dads lightweight pontoon. This will be a first with the 5,000 lb rig behind me. It's a long way to go so I wanted to get some input. I'm thinking about going 250 or 350 diesel at some point to try to save on the gas guzzling.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I was in the market for an F150, the 3.0 diesel is finally coming. And this time - it is for real.

Well, its a Power Stroke, 3.0 turbo diesel, which like all awesome diesels these days comes form Europe. Ford tries to pass it as a domestic product which is just silly. It is an old Citroen/peugeot V6 they have been using in Range Rovers for years.
Should be very competitive with EcoDiesel and TDI, all w/over 400 ft lbs of torque. Now, those will tow a boat!

--

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was reading about that yesterday. Pretty exciting really, I'd love to see alot more diesel options.

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm actually a GM at a Ford/Lincoln dealership...your f150 5.0 will eat that trip up.

Larkintx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
IMG_0572.JPG I had a 2015 F-150 3.5 eco boost and it had issues pulling my 242x. I traded it in for a Ram 2500 6.7 diesel and its flawless.....

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I tow my Crownline (8,500 lbs) with my 2015 F150, 3.5 EB with no issues. I have the 3.55 gears

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having a boat behind the F150 makes it much more difficult to push the truck from the heated and cooled tailgate.

Although I do think the upcoming F150 diesel will receive serious consideration for my next truck. My guess is that the lower weight aluminum body will allow it much higher cargo and towing capacity than the Ram Ecodiesel.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having a boat behind the F150 makes it much more difficult to push the truck from the heated and cooled tailgate.

Although I do think the upcoming F150 diesel will receive serious consideration for my next truck. My guess is that the lower weight aluminum body will allow it much higher cargo and towing capacity than the Ram Ecodiesel.
I will be curious to see what you decide @Bruce !
One aspect of towing that hardly ever gets any attention, which I puzzles me, is the distance of the hitch ball/trailer coupler from the rear axle of the tow vehicle. The shorter it is, the better for towing - less squat, sway, and all sorts of other issues. Hence different tow ratings for some seemingly identical vehicles/models, where one would have a shorter rear end (and therefore higher tow rating).

--

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
"...heated and cooled tailgate" That made me giggle. :)

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

put in $80 airlift bags and you can put have a pretty hefty payload! :)

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
put in $80 airlift bags and you can put have a pretty hefty payload! :)
I 100% agree about the physical capability however legally a nicely equipped Ecodiesel is limited to cargo and towing capacities that are lower than what my family needs.

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
IMG_0383.JPG
View attachment 50255 I had a 2015 F-150 3.5 eco boost and it had issues pulling my 242x. I traded it in for a Ram 2500 6.7 diesel and its flawless.....
That is strange. I have a 2016 F-150. 3.5 Ecoboost that pulls my 242LSE with no problems. I did add 2000# air bags that took the sway out of the light truck. It's a towing beast and I gave up a 13' Powerstroke F-350 since I don't tow heavy any more.