• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

TR-1 Hard to Start

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
After a run at higher rpms, back to idle and shut down. One engine has been hard to start. I replaced the plugs and it was temporarily fixed. But now it's back. What would foul the plugs in a fuel injected new boat? If I idle the engines for a minute before shutting down, they start just fine. The issue is only with the starboard engine.
Ideas?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
With my Yamaha quad I have to give it a little throttle. Because of the lockout I don't know if you can on the boat. There is pages of stuff on this in the service manual. for both if there is a code and also if there is not.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After a run at higher rpms, back to idle and shut down. One engine has been hard to start. I replaced the plugs and it was temporarily fixed. But now it's back. What would foul the plugs in a fuel injected new boat? If I idle the engines for a minute before shutting down, they start just fine. The issue is only with the starboard engine.
Ideas?
How many hours do you have on the plugs? I’m only asking because on my vintage boat, spark plugs go “off” or get fouled pretty often. So it’s common practice to change the plugs at least once a season.

Second, have you tried running the blower? It might help if it’s a heat related issue.

Anyway, good luck figuring it out. Hopefully it’s a simple solution.

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Maybe 3 hours on the replacement plugs, 29 hours on the engines.
I didn't think about it being heat related, but if I idle the engines for bit after a higher rpm run they start with no hesitation. I guess I should just be doing that.
Thanks @itsdgm

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what type of plugs are you using? iridium's? are they wet or soot on them ? maybe post a picture of them

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ideas?
Frank how many hours do you have on the boat already? This boat is so new you should not have to have changed plugs so soon.

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I changed them because I overfilled the oil level and felt it wouldn't hurt.
I think @itsdgm was right. The engines need to be cooled down after a run. Idling them for a minute resolved the hard start problem.
Thanks for your replies!