• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trading 192 to a 212. What you guys think

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
need opinions. Bought a 2016 ar192 a month ago. I like the boat but disappointed in a few things. Power. Fuel range, a bit small sometimes, can't surf rope less. I could not afford the extra money for a bigger boat. Plus now I know what I want. Only way I can afford it. Is to find a used 212.Found this 2013 212ss at a dealership. 170 hrs and would still need a tower and Bimini and ballastsystem and maybe a perfect pass.
What has changed on the 212 from 2013 to 2016?Is 170 hr a lot. Hurts going from a boat with 10 hrs to 170 and 3 years old. But it is Biger , morepower, bigger gas tank. What you guys think.People that went from a 192 to a 212. Do you think these to boats are similar value.
Just found a 2014x as well. 70 hrs.

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You are not in an enviable position, if you sell your going to eat a ton of depreciation.
If it were me, I would try to sell the 19, and then shop for a used one that ticked all of the boxes, I would not get too hung up on the year, and focus on condition, amenties, and hours, in that order.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Easy answer 2014 212x or wait till the 2017s start to affect the used prices

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With the 2017 212x jumping up significantly in price from the 2016 models, I would think that the used 212's are going to start selling at a premium. The 2017 version's pricing pretty much moved them into a different weight class. I don't believe a lot of people are going to want to trade in the older 212ss or 212x for the 2017 versions, and a lot of people want that twin 1.8 performance in the 21' package.

The people in the market for a 21 foot boat going to have to look used, downgrade to the 210s, move to the bigger boats, or swallow that hefty price tag.

thorsome

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I traded my 2015 AR192 for a 2015 212x. I went from having a boat we liked to having a boat we love.
Having said that, the 2017 version doesn't excite me due to how much the price increased.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What did you like better and what did you not like as much if anything. I have been looking for a good used 212x. Might have found a 2014 at a dealership. They don't seem overtly interested in my trade tho. Only thing I was worried about was manovering a bigger boat with out the new outrigger. Did you find a difference?
Thanks for reply

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
go as big as you can afford, while keeping condition in mind.

I don't think 170 hrs is a lot, hopefully it was maintained. I believe we have seen people in the ~800 hr range, although ~400 seems to be a common number. Not because they blow, I think people get tired of them after that many hours.

I have a '19 and it is too small. I am going to move to a '24 for the room and for the head compartment. I also want a wake tower and I plan on surfing behind it.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
65907309.jpg
Sorry for the naughty word - just thought it was fitting and funny when i came across it.

Last edited:

Cohenmd86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did a bunch of research before pulling the trigger on a 2013 212x, love love love the boat, would've gone 242 but didn't fit in my garage and live in a town house, only negative but that's my personal issue, and I'm not a huge fan of the tower on my 212x but much better then the older style, definitely like the 2017/242 style, and the fact that you can get a toliet on a 242 which is a nice feature to have even if you don't like them it makes the stays that much longer. Obviously the 242 you have bigger boat handles waves a tad better then 212 but not as quick and slightly different layout then the 212 with its full bench is really nice vs captain chair, more inviting more room to lounge. This is all used market I'm talking about since you said money was a conecern so if those differences don't bother u go with the 212x, if you can spring for the right 242 jump on it, but definitely twins and wake tower are a must along with ballast system if water sports are your thing. Plenty of scarab 215 out there in many colors with twin 200's 400hp they move in the 60's even have twin 250's 500hp in a 215 footer is fast! where my 212x saw 60.8 when brand new in best conditions. Just my .02$

Cohenmd86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If your dealer works with you go with the 2014x, should be a fair market deal, they'll sell ur 192 easily to a budget conscious newbie, and hopefully hook you up or end of year deal, they gotta be itching to move it or find a 2012ish ar240 that will tick the boxes, boats need to work for you not worrying about resale, just try to get the best deal you can, it's a learning experience and a good welcoming to boating