• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer bearing grease.

Troy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've read on most grease containers that you should always use the same grease and not mix different types of grease. Well I want to change to the lucas marine grease for my trailer bearings. Do I really need to take the bearings apart and clean them or can I just add the marine grease as needed?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have mixed grease over the years and never had an issue. There might be some weird combination that could cause problems but I think it is very low. To me it is the same idea as going from regular oil to synthetic oil in our boats, it will take a couple of oil changes before you fully convert but you will not damage the engine in the process.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Agreed.... I just pump in what is handy and have never had an issue.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've had it eat a grease gun once from corrosion. Not sure what I mixed with what, but ever since then I've been very careful. Separate grease guns for separate greases from now on!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Compatibility is not dependent on brands but it is dependent on what type of grease it is. For instance, Some are lithium based, others are calcium. Here's a chart that I found on the internet. Hope it makes sense. However, for my mfi trailer bearings I've used the bluish/green marine grease that can be found at places like walmart. I checked compatibility years ago and it seemed to be fine. image.jpg