• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Brake Issue

FisherMcree

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just purchased my FSH 190 Sport and I'm new to the forum. I've enjoyed reading the posts and find the info very helpful.

I've experienced an issue with the trailer and thought I would ask if anyone has experienced the same issue and what they did about it. I am not sure if they all come with the same trailer but mine is a Shorelandr. Sometimes, but not all the time, when backing the trailer the brakes lock. This happened on a slight incline when the boat is on the upside and also when the boat was on the downside. One time it was while approaching the boat ramp - pretty embarrassing.

I read that the brake lights on the truck activate a solenoid that releases the trailer breaks while backing. I asked my dealer about it and he said it's probably something with my adapter because the brakes won't always engage on flat ground. He also said the blue wire is what activated the brakes. The connection on the trailer is a 5 flat plug and I have a 7 round on my truck (2015 Silverado 2500). I have an adapter that is for a 4 flat and 5 flat. Could it be the 5th wire on the adapter is for electric brakes? I looked at several wiring diagrams and it looks like the back up lights on the truck trailer harness is the middle pin and is a purple wire. To put it simply should I cut off the 5 flat and get a round plug and make it so the blue wire connects to the purple on the truck? Anybody else experience something like this? My other equipment trailers have round plugs that came on them and I just plug and go.

Corey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mine did that when one of my friends towed it with his F250... he said he had issues with the plug when he tows his boat too... never had a problem with mine. Might just be ur connection! I didnt have mine plugged in the whole way once and while backing at ramp the beakes locked up ... pushed plug in and was fine check ur plug on ur tryck probably not good connection ..

Corey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I also purchased the adapter when i bought the boat for the round plug...sales guy told me i needed it or brakes wouldnt work right

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are using a 5 plug adapter it sounds like either that slot is not connected to the reverse lights or something is wrong with the actuator the disables the brakes. You trailer should have some with a break lock out key as well you can use that at the ramp.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You have to have 7 wire adapter vs 5. The extra wires deactivate the trailer brakes when tow vehicle is in reverse. You can deactivate trailer brakes for towing with 5 prong adapter by placing this shim in the slot as in the photo. IT HAS TO BE TAPED IN PLACE FOR TOWING. This should help.20160801_221616.jpg

Attachments

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You need to get a test light and check to see if you're getting power to the "5th/blue wire when the vehicle is placed in reverse. If so, trace that wire back to the brake actuator on the trailer and make sure that the wiring is correct and that 12 volts is getting to the actuator when in reverse. That is how the "surge brakes" are deactivated when backing.

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a 4 pin trailer attachment/wiring on my jeep. I purchased an adapter 4 pin to 5 pin from etrailer for $7.99 https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/47515.html.
@FisherMcree this 7 pin diagram is for you...https://www.etrailer.com/static/images/pics/q/u/qu51455_800.jpg

@ClemsonTiger I have a newer model Jeep JKU. I've been going back and forth between using the 4 pin to 5 pin adapter you posted, or the more elaborate install of a Mopar factory style 7 pin, then go with a 7 to 5 pin adaptor. Alter seeing this thread, I'm getting the exact 5 pin adapter you posted here...keeping it simple. It looks like a clean install anyway. I had already installed a Mopar hitch on my Jeep a couple years ago, which has the little notched area to hold the factory 4 pin. This $7.99 adaptor looks to fit in there just fine. If you happen to recall which wire you tapped in to, please pass it along.:snaphappy:

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I guess I'm not good at counting pins. The five to seven adapter on the right is the right one for a seven prong round connection on your truck. The one one the left is 4 pin that won't work. If you have the one one the right and your brakes lock when backing ,20160802_093730.jpg 20160802_093730.jpg 20160802_093753.jpg it's time for the multi meter.