• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer brakes on 2022 195S sticking

FlyFish88

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Ok.. dumb question but I cannot think of any possible reasons or solutions here.

I have a 2022 195S. I only have 9 hours on it so far, and typical round trip to the launch and back is 30 miles of mainly highway driving. I notice a lot that when I am under roughly 15 mph whether stopping, driving slow through say my neighborhood or the launch, or accelerating out of a red light, that it seems the trailer brakes are possibly sticking. They definitely have that moaning sound when driving under 15 mph like they are sticking, but then the trailer rides great at any other speed.

Also when I am moving the boat around my driveway by hand with the trailer dolly, I don't get this sticking sound as I do when driving.

Tongue is free and operational. The brake solenoid and lines are not kinked and function properly. The brake lock-out pin is not in, and my electrical is hooked to the SUV using a 7 pin. And the little push pin underneath the tongue is freely moving when attached to the SUV.

I've checked the brake pads with a mirror when the trailer is parked in the garage. The pads that I can see do seem to be touching the rotors though, but easily pushes into the garage by hand with no problem or friction / sound due to braking being applied.

I figured I would throw this out to the community as a gut check to see if I am just not thinking of any solutions or possibilities.

Thanks for the help!

Awesome running boat already though! And I am in the camp of no TV or Cobras needed. I can spin this thing on a dime and put it in any spot that I want at the marina. Once you get the feel for No-wake mode, and feathering that throttle, it all makes sense and is easy to maneuver! Long time boater, first time jet boater.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Are you a saltwater boater? Which shorelander trailer do you have? How does your boat sit when the trailer is attached to your tow vehicle. Is it level or nose down/up .

FlyFish88

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Are you a saltwater boater? Which shorelander trailer do you have? How does your boat sit when the trailer is attached to your tow vehicle. Is it level or nose down/up .
I am a freshwater boater, and have only launched now 4 times. I have the painted Shorelander trailer for 2022 model 195S. The boat and trailer are level when attached to the tow vehicle.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Try taking off from a stop a little quicker. Maybe when you stop and the brakes engage your taking off too slow for them to disengage like the actuator is getting slightly stuck due to being new?? Just something to try.

FlyFish88

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Try taking off from a stop a little quicker. Maybe when you stop and the brakes engage your taking off too slow for them to disengage like the actuator is getting slightly stuck due to being new?? Just something to try.
I'll give it a shot when I get it back out next weekend. I have a feeling that I will end up jacking the trailer during my 10Hr oil change, and pulling the wheels to lube the caliper pins.. maybe..
Just hoping there is another method out there that I am not thinking of!

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was going to say if you were in saltwater everything corrodes on those shorelander trailers. The brake pad backings will corrode and expand putting pressure on the discs. the caliper piston will corrode ect. If you jack it, you could spin the wheel and have someone manipulate the surge adapter. Just to see how much pressure it takes to get them to lock up. You could have air in the line as well, maybe not bled well enough. Its good that your boat sits level when hooked up, because if it doesn't than the trailer is always falling fwd to the truck hitch, especially when you are slow. This puts pressure on the MC. You could always rig the trailer height a little higher and see if it alleviates the problem.

Waterpusher

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
2022 SX 195 with galvanized trailer and it squeaks every chance it gets, dragged brakes at low speed before it ever hit the salt water. I’ve now launched 8 times and the brakes do not seem to be locking at slow speed turns as they did originally so maybe the pads are tight when new. I use mine in the gulf intercoastal area and have the TV/L installed due to the lack of low speed control in currents and no wake idle zones, where you have to constantly correct, in the keys. Made a huge difference

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Im not sure about your trailer but on the 2017 I can take a claw hammer and wedge it between the leaf spring and put pressure on the caliper pushing it toward the rotor then with a large screw drive wedged on the tire I can move the caliper back by the piston in the opposite direction it freed them up a few times . I was doing this to check and found one piston was seized in the caliper Im in salt water so they take a beating but you could have picked up some dedri in the water that may make them stick hop under and move them around. An infrared temperature gun will give you readings over 120 degrees if they are dragging.