• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Brakes Requirements in Florida

Dave1949

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I purchased a new boat and trailer package from a dealer in Florida, an FSH 210 Sport. I found out that Florida requires brakes on both axles, my trailer has brakes on only the front axle. I'm interested in fixing this issue. Is the dealer responsible or is this my problem.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamahas come with only 1 axle braked. Throw a kit on the other axle and you’re good to go.

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
FLORIDA
Every such vehicle and combination of vehicles shall be equipped with service brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold such vehicle under all conditions of loading, and on any grade incident to its operation.

Every vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels except trailers, semitrailers, or pole trailers of a gross weight not exceeding 3,000 lbs., provided that the total weight on and including the wheels of the trailer or trailers shall not exceed 40 percent of the gross weight of the towing vehicle when connected to the trailer or trailers; and the combination of vehicles, consisting of the towing vehicle and its total towed load, is capable of complying with the performance requirements of the law.

Pole trailers with a gross weight in excess of 3,000 lbs. manufactured prior to January 1, 1972, need not be equipped with brakes.

Every towing vehicle, when used to tow another vehicle equipped with air-controlled brakes, in other than driveway or tow-away operations, shall be equipped with 2 means for emergency application of the trailer brakes.

Reasy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A loaded FSH210 with trailer would weigh around 4000#. (40%)
If the calculations are based on GVWR - single axle brakes would apply to most trucks and most large SUV's.
However, a 6000# (60%) vehicle is a loaded F350 or larger. A new Ford F150 SuperCrew weighs in at around 5000#.
If the Florida implies true vehicle weight, them most recreational tow vehicles should have brakes on both axles.