• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer bunk guides

Ronald Dillow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
You guys are all great and my new best friends.. :)
My boat never sits on the trialer right. Its a pain in the ass to get on the trailer. I'm not new to boating. In the past I has a 20' Crownline and it was easy to get on and off, but this boat is a challenge.
I'm looking at the Overton's catalog and was wondering if anyone has installed trailer side guides and what are the best?
Ron

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Been contemplating doing this myself too. I've gotten very good at getting on and off the trailer, however, it's a challenge when the wind is whipping. @Albysure just installed guides and could tell you where he got them and how easy the install was.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ron, lets see a picture of your trailer with a view of the bunks, bow stop, etc. I have wrestled with my boat trailer set up since i have an aftermarket trailer and I faced a few setup issues; bunk alignment, bow roller, and other. I do pretty well now that it is dialed in although what I did learn was that for putting the boat in/out at the ramp, my trailer fenders have to show just through the top of the water otherwise, my boat doesn't align correctly.

I do not have trailer guides but a lot of people use them especially those that face currents and/or winds. I find the boat is so light that I can easily maneuver it from the water and if a ramp is "professionally done", I can drive the boat right onto the trailer. For shallower or sandy bottom ramps, I don't do this to preserve the ramp.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't know about which are the best ones but highly recommend trailer guides for all. If you are getting them get the long versions (about 4 or 5 feet tall). This will allow you to put the trailer deeper in the water at the ramp but still have the tops of the guides out of the water. They make shorter ones that wouldn't work at most of the Ramps I use. As an added benefit, the guides generally allow me to see the empty trailer better when I'm backing into the ramp.

My guides are a single piece of pvc which are bent at 90 degrees at the bottom to create the horizontal mounting point for two u bolts on each side. Install is / was as easy as tightening 8 nuts on 4 u bolts after finding the right location on the trailer.
Mine were less than $100 shipped from overtons or west marine.

I ended up spending another $60 or so on trailer guide accessories. That is running lights (not turn signals) for the tops of the guides and guide covers. The running lights allow me to position the trailer better for the occasional night time recovery. Installing/wiring them took longer than the guides themselves but it was still easy.

The covers are made up of two parts, a nylon or canvas cover and a pool noodle underneath it. I don't think the covers are needed to protect the boat but they don't hurt and you can get covers to match your taste if you don't like the color of the guides themselves.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is what I use. Highly recommended. http://www.veveinc.com/shop/Post-Guide-Ons-T-965-65-inch-model.html

Also need to get a set of padded covers if you go this route. http://www.veveinc.com/shop/Post-Guide-Pads-T-965-PC-48-inch-CAPPED-Top.html

At one time, on YJB, there was a huge following for these guides and for aftermarket pads from (can't remember the company name - they went bankrupt back in '09). These guides are very tough, I have hit them with some force more than once.

Note: 90%+ of my recoveries I don't need these at all...but they are very handy in a cross current (like a river) or in a launch exposed to heavier wave action (especially if broadside).

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think you are referring to beyondthewake.com and I think they are still in business. Still have an active web site...

Ronald Dillow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I like the idea of lights on the top.
Here's the only photo I could find of the complete boat. It's covered now for the winter. :-(
I have a factory trailer.
The river is the hardest because of the flow. On the lake it's much easier.IMG_6574.JPG

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have CE Smith guides on my trailer and like them. With the added covers, they float so the height adjusts to the ramp. I haven't experienced it, but I can imagine if you were to hit one very hard, it would likely break.

It does help me line up and keep the stern in line when retrieving... especially if there is any wind or current. C.E. Smith also has excellent customer service. I had one of the LED's quit working and they sent me a replacement at no cost.

https://cesmith.com/product/420/post-guide/27760
https://cesmith.com/product/960/post-guide/27901

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I use the CE Smith Guides and modified to 56" with quick disconnects, so I can straighten them when they get bent. And they do get bent occasionally on a very windy day. I love that they will give, because I want them to give, NOT THE BOAT! They have never broken and had them on two boats. The LED lights on top make the one of the most useful tool mods on my boat and trailer. My wife is a little intimidated backing into the lake at night with the trailer to take us out. The guides help here to determine the end of the trailer and alignment, as well as depth. And for me, I have to back the boat/trailer down my 200' long winding tree lined driveway that has NO LIGHTING! So those guide post lights are invaluable to me.