• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer hitch adjustment?

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The main for most trailer electrical failures is the ground wire. I would check the ground which is usually attached to the trailer with a bolt up front, and the blue wire coming from the solenoid that is connected to the blue wire of the trailer connector.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Would all trucks with the factory 7 pin connector be wired already for the 5th wire for the reverse on trailers with surge brakes?
Technically no. The fifth pin is connected to the reverse lights, which is part of the 7 pin connector. Those with a 7 pin connector have to adapt their connector to a five pin. I can't say that I have ever seen a 5 pin connector stock on a tow vehicle. It's either 4 or 7 and needs to be adapted.

That being said, once you drop in a $5 adapter into the 7 pin round connector, they work as they are supposed to. There is no special wiring ever needed.

Why trailers don't just come with a 7 pin connector is beyond me. As vehicles that do not have a 7 pin round are usually below the recommended tow capacity to pull these boats. I noticed this years ago when I moved from a 2004 Colorado to a 2008 Colorado, the tow capacity was raised, and they included the 7 pin round.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My trailer came with the round 7 pin, it only utilizes 5 pins though. You must be talking about flat 5 pins that need the round adapter

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My trailer came with the round 7 pin, it only utilizes 5 pins though. You must be talking about flat 5 pins that need the round adapter
yes, exactly. The round 7 is what they should have been using for years. Trucks with a round 7 will all be set for surge brake lock out, nothing else needed.

mrcapi937

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the comments. This is a new trailer, so I lubricated all around the brake area to allow it to slide a little more freely. The clicking noise now is a lot less noticeable and sounds normal.